The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I've heard a billion times and I agree, writing a spec for a show that's not on the air isn't the wave. The Office is too old and Married with Children is like 5 generations ago in the world of TV. Do it for fun, but as a sample maybe not

"If you want to be hired in a writers room, this is a critical skill. In 2021, the Warner Bros. Writers’ Workshop, the ViacomCBS Writers Mentoring Program, and the Nickelodeon Writing Program all required a spec script from an existing show." Why You Should Be Writing Spec Scripts of Existing TV Shows - WeScreenplay
:hubie:
Yeah, I heard that too. But I remember watching On Story and a writer said she wrote a spec for a show not on tv and she never mentioned an issue with her agent/manager. I think that’s how she was noticed. Think it was for Golden Girls.

If you have a solid original piece and a decent sample spec, what’s the issue if they realize you can write? :ld:

I’m not trying to get into a writers room because I’m not a dude who likes to take other people’s work and try to “copy” it. Plus There’s only a small selection of shows I feel confident enough to try my take on.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, I heard that too. But I remember watching On Story and a writer said she wrote a spec for a show not on tv and she never mentioned an issue with her agent/manager. I think that’s how she was noticed. Think it was for Golden Girls.

If you have a solid original piece and a decent spec, what’s the issue if they realize you can write? :ld:

True. But if you've got a really funny idea for an episode of Married with Children, maybe you could flip it and update it just a little and turn it into an "original". It'll feel like Married with Children but it won't say "Married with Children" on the title page and get the :martin: from the intern who wasn't even born when it was on but has to read it before handing it to their boss.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
True. But if you've got a really funny idea for an episode of Married with Children, maybe you could flip it and update it just a little and turn it into an "original". It'll feel like Married with Children but it won't say "Married with Children" on the title page and get the :martin: from the intern who wasn't even born when it was on but has to read it before handing it to their boss.

I mean, these sample specs aren’t what I’m trying to put out first. I’m just writing it to show for when I’m asked if I have scripts from developed shows.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think once I get a better grip of the script I’m crafting I’ll do some rewrites with a little weed in me. Today I decided to try it out and I feel like I’m more keen to catching little things.

I just started my second go-round with one I wanna put out; haven’t worked on it in a year. I’m catching more things this time around than my first run a week or so ago.

Only other time I was blazed and writing was when I was trying something new. Didn’t work out for me. :skip:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I finished a draft of another project. Looking for feedback if anyone here is interested. The more feedback I get that’s solid will help me improve. PM me if interested.

I’m willing to give it a read if it’s not a straight up drama. When it comes to reading other people’s work, dramas just don’t interest me. :ld:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Hey guys, can I get some feedback on my horror screenplay? It’s only 81 pages. I’m still not done with it since I’m changing things as I read the pdf, but it’s done for the most part. I’d say it’s an easy read. :ld:

I plan on submitting it to some festivals and maybe even the BL. Would greatly appreciate it and don’t mind swapping scripts no matter what genre! :salute:

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey guys, can I get some feedback on my horror screenplay? It’s only 81 pages. I’m still not done with it since I’m changing things as I read the pdf, but it’s done for the most part. I’d say it’s an easy read. :ld:

I plan on submitting it to some festivals and maybe even the BL. Would greatly appreciate it and don’t mind swapping scripts no matter what genre! :salute:
I can read. PM me.