The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I tried bruh, lasted 2 weeks. Most people didn't have time. If you have something you need feedback on and wanna do a script swap then send me a PM.
Let's make it biweekly. Make time, a script for a 30-40 min episode is not that long.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i had a short filmed, and the shyt has 9 random ass awards already. and when i say "random," i mean it. the director is a grinder and got it into a shytload of little film festivals all around the world. don't know how he did it, but it's pretty impressive. i'd post a link but he hasn't even made it live yet. so now i'm gonna lie my ass off and just tell people I'm an "award winning writer."
oqy0XfS.png

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Yeah it's different. It's inferior but not bad. I wonder how it works when it's revised for shooting. Since Donald is on board, does he get together with his team and it's done organically. Or it's more of what's ok with executives and other suits
A mix of both, idgaf who you are you aint just about to drastically change a pilot on your first tv show without the producers hearing an explanation

once you start actually seeing the visuals you may have different ideas on how characters act and speak, how shyt might develop in the next season etc.

Script revisions happen on set all the time.

shyt i just finished a 10 episode show and we had to back and COMPLETELY reshoot the pilot halfway through because it didnt flow right with the rest of the following episodes :snoop: changed directors an everything

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Nah you're definitely keeping it 1000 with fam

I remember the first time I finished a script and got it registered with WGA, I was ready to send it to EVERYONE, my homies that are actual vets in the industry and have Movie/TV credits were like :ohhh::dwillhuh::dahell:Ayoo now wait a minute :whoa: Don't do it:ufdup:Reconsider, read some lit-erature on the subject are you sure:damn:

It's a tough lesson to learn
School on this please

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
A mix of both, idgaf who you are you aint just about to drastically change a pilot on your first tv show without the producers hearing an explanation

once you start actually seeing the visuals you may have different ideas on how characters act and speak, how shyt might develop in the next season etc.

Script revisions happen on set all the time.

shyt i just finished a 10 episode show and we had to back and COMPLETELY reshoot the pilot halfway through because it didnt flow right with the rest of the following episodes :snoop: changed directors an everything
That's wild

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
School on this please

Let's just say I've heard my share of horror stories about stolen IP.

The adage that Hollywood doesnt need to steal your ideas (bc they have their own ideas they can recycle and have experts they trust with new ones) is true. They dont need to steal your ideas. Dont sleep though,:ufdup: just because they dont need to, doesn't mean they wont steal your idea bc they want to and CAN

Also, remember generally speaking an idea isnt really copyright proof (unless its highly unique which is rarely the case in all honesty) . It's the execution of said idea that is mostly protected. That's why some of these people can steal ideas and change things around and look at you with the :mjpls:
It's a cold game, lesson I've learned firsthand

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
That's wild
It's pretty normal, the guy who directed the pilot just sucked

I gotta ask the brehs in here to PLEASE research the industry forreal, not the youtube armchair geniuses, people who really working out here

shyt im a regular crew member and i learn alot just bein there shootin the shyt with people

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
i used to try and just bullshyt stuff after smoking weed back in the day from time to time. i have a bunch of notebooks with ideas and jokes, etc. i used to put a little "H" in the top corner of every idea i wrote while high. recently i revisited an old notebook, and found a "H" page that simply said "cyclobster." ... that's all it said. I took a bong rip or something years ago, and found the word "Cyclobster" so funny, i wrote it in my notebook.
:dead:The new Sharknado

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I have ideas for novels I've read I would like to adapt into movies, an original crime drama series set in New York City, as well as some other ideas for short films.

How do I get into this shyt? I feel like I got the pen and the mind for it feels like an unexplored passion I always had. I at one point considered getting a film minor when I was in school but I just didn't pursue it. I'm willing to pursue this for the next 10 years. I'm young I got time.

Should I take courses at a college? Is that worth it? Do I shoot my own shyt independently? How do I get my shyt to pop? How do I get my shyt to get picked up by network TV/streaming services? How do I get into the festivals? Can I stay in NYC or do I gotta move to LA?

Help me out brehs :lupe:

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I have ideas for novels I would like to turn into movies, an original crime drama series set in New York City, as well as some other ideas for short films.

How do I get into this shyt? I feel like I got the pen and the mind for it feels like an unexplored passion I always had. I at one point considered getting a film minor when I was in school but I just didn't pursue it. I'm willing to pursue this for the next 10 years. I'm young I got time.

Should I take courses at a college? Is that worth it? Do I shoot my own shyt independently? How do I get my shyt to pop? How do I get my shyt to get picked up by network TV/streaming services? How do I get into the festivals? Can I stay in NYC or do I gotta move to LA?

Help me out brehs :lupe:

Do the novel first. I think there’s a thread in here specifically for book writers.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
The novels are already written lol I want to adapt them into films to be clear.
Ah. Well if you wanna turn them into scripts, read scripts first. Maybe adapted movie scripts would help more. Read up on script lingo. I'd recommend a book called the Screenwriter's Bible. It's pretty much all you need. :ld:

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
What books you've read on writing a novel? What's the last few novels you've read?

So I apologize on this one. I was lurking the coli, but not logged in, so I never even knew this was addressed to me. I am not one of those read a book to learn type unfortunately. As a collegian, I studied screenwriting, but it [my writing] was mostly terrible. It took me over 10 years from conception to writing my first novel. And I had to hire an editor for $3000 just to make it look professional, because prose and screenwriting use different literary muscles.

Authors I like however are Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Ian Fleming, Michael Connelly, Philip K. dikk.

As far as the last few novels, believe it or not, I have been reading indie novels (both fiction and non) because I believe some have potential to turn into features and series. One in particular stood out to me, but the author expected my partner and I to shell out real bread for a story no one is even hip to. The person he wrote about is a fascinating individual that did some legitimate "I don't believe it" stuff both in USA and Europe and yet, I have to basically table it until dude is ready to do business.

Problem is... making movies and television shows can take years and people want instant gratification (myself included). I just had a producer tell me he wanted to make a film, then a week later say he passed. Then on Monday, Netflix accepted a script to review. Could work, could be nothing. Just gotta keep plugging away.