The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Not straight up stealing your work, but some contests or things like mentorship programs etc. will have you submit a script and in the fine print you'll see that part of submitting is they have the right (or option) on the script for 6 months/a year or some shyt.

I was gonna enter a writer's scheme a year ago (forgot the name) and I saw that in the fine print if I made it to the last 50, they'd have rights to my script for a year without having to pay me.

I'd get paid if it was sold, but normally an option like that comes with money. They just straight up would have those rights for free and I wouldn't be able to sell it myself because I made it on their "shortlist" :martin:

Always read the terms top to bottom.
That's foul

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I'm writing and I have to keep reminding myself it's a SCRIPT and it's not supposed to be "possible". I always try to incorporate a sense of "maybe" into it. That frustrates me
I think a problem a lot of people have with creative outlet/dreams is the end goal vision in their head. Forget all that, just doing it should bring you joy/sense of accomplishment because it's your desire. If it doesn't, maybe this isn't for you. Everything just isn't for anyone not because it's hard but because the resistance outweighs the desire.

To anyone reading just get into I.T. instead if you focused on the bread/simply trying to run away from your day job. Not trying to discourage anyone but if just the process of getting your imagination going isn't fun to you, Why are doing this? Really ask yourself PLEASE.

You're writing a screenplay not a movie. A movie is in the hands of the director and actors. All the writers here give yourself credit, writing a screenplay isn't so easy and quick.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
So I am finally self-publishing my book this year. I originally wrote it as a screenplay, then had several prodco's tell me it's too big (it spans several films/books). Needs to be IP first. So now I am getting it professionally edited. I actually believe adapting screenplays from novels is easier than the reverse. The reason why, the entire story is already developed, now you just need to write based on what would allow your story to remain as close to the book without bogging people down. Remember emotion in a screenplay will be more often than not conveyed by the direction and the acting.

When I wrote my book a little over a year ago, it actually improved my screenplay significantly, because a lot of the smaller character motivations had room to breathe. It wasn't easy, but I came out of it, understanding why I originally felt this was a book in the first place. I give props to anyone who finishes novels and screenplays. As mentioned just above me, it takes discipline. Plus, no one really respects writers [professionally] in Hollywood, because they are easily replaceable and faceless as opposed to an A-list actor/director.
What books you've read on writing a novel? What's the last few novels you've read?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
No doubt. On another note, that shows you have big time ideas to make it, just have to put in the work and network/have the right connections to get on.

To be fair, my idea for Gemini Man wasn't exactly the same concept. There may be a chance I could use the idea in a remix (if I decide to do something). :manny:

Superstore, though. :francis:

But yeah, the connections thing is next in line. I'm out here in LA county, too, so that gives me a major advantage. Only problem is I don't know where to begin. I was thinking of sending a script in to a competition to help me get noticed. :ld:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
To be fair, my idea for Gemini Man wasn't exactly the same concept. There may be a chance I could use the idea in a remix (if I decide to do something). :manny:

Superstore, though. :francis:

But yeah, the connections thing is next in line. I'm out here in LA county, too, so that gives me a major advantage. Only problem is I don't know where to begin. I was thinking of sending a script in to a competition to help me get noticed. :ld:

Yeah being in LA county/area definitely gives you an edge. Placing high in certain competitions can help, Ive seen it, especially since you're writing screenplays.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yeah being in LA county/area definitely gives you an edge. Placing high in certain competitions can help, Ive seen it, especially since you're writing screenplays.

I just started screenplays this year, too. I still need to learn the screenplay formula. I have the 3 act structure down, but I need to work on subplots, character dilemma(s), mid-act "reveals," and I'm sure there's more. Plus outlines and treatments are foreign to me. I have my own way of outlining tho.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
I just started screenplays this year, too. I still need to learn the screenplay formula. I have the 3 act structure down, but I need to work on subplots, character dilemma(s), mid-act "reveals," and I'm sure there's more. Plus outlines and treatments are foreign to me. I have my own way of outlining tho.

Dope. I've been writing TV pilots. I think next year I'm going to finally try my hand at doing a screenplay or two.