The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've already had two ideas used in Hollywood (Superstore and Gemini Man). Can't let these others slip. :sadcam:

Bruh there’s so many recycled plot lines and premises in Hollywood right now. I’d still go through with your ideas if I were you. You can still stand out with a similar premise if it has great execution.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Bruh there’s so many recycled plot lines and premises in Hollywood right now. I’d still go through with your ideas if I were you. You can still stand out with a similar premise if it has great execution.
That's really what it is about, whether or not the execution is on point

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yeah, I talked about it a few posts later. My idea wasn't the exact same plot as Gemini Man. It just involved doppelgangers. :ld:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I talked about it a few posts later. My idea wasn't the exact same plot as Gemini Man. It just involved doppelgangers. :ld:

lol bruh, "Us" has doppelgangers in it too and it's a completely different type of movie than Gemini Man. If you do a movie in any genre it's gonna have a similar premise to other flicks within that genre. But how you execute it and your voice is where it'll stand out. Go ahead and write it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
lol bruh, "Us" has doppelgangers in it too and it's a completely different type of movie than Gemini Man. If you do a movie in any genre it's gonna have a similar premise to other flicks within that genre. But how you execute it and your voice is where it'll stand out. Go ahead and write it.

Forgot about that recent one. At the time I thought of it (maybe 2 years ago) the only movie that came to mind was The One with Jet Li.

It's not an idea I have a hard-on for, but I'ma keep it in my back pocket for later. :ld:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I've already had two ideas used in Hollywood (Superstore and Gemini Man). Can't let these others slip. :sadcam:
Man first of all, people reuse old ideas all the time

2nd of all, you already fukkin up thinkin what airs on the silver screen is the end all be all, plenty of shyt gets developed by these streaming services so your ideas wouldn't even have to compete with the theater stuff. Not to mention production sizes are so long people would've already forgotten about the other movie by the time yours drops

3rdly, literally NONE of this matters unless you actually have a film made and are figuring out how to release/market it so don't even let those thoughts slow you down

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Man first of all, people reuse old ideas all the time

2nd of all, you already fukkin up thinkin what airs on the silver screen is the end all be all, plenty of shyt gets developed by these streaming services so your ideas wouldn't even have to compete with the theater stuff. Not to mention production sizes are so long people would've already forgotten about the other movie by the time yours drops

3rdly, literally NONE of this matters unless you actually have a film made and are figuring out how to release/market it so don't even let those thoughts slow you down

Breh, I just brought up how I had ideas similar to those. I never started complaining about it. :skip: :heh:

Superstore concept was the exact same workplace comedy show, but mine was more adult. It would have been cable bound instead of network. That can't be recycled. That was actually the first thing I worked on. I spent too much time on it, so when I found out there was a show on air I was an emotional wreck. It didn't last long, but that was my first writer's heartbreak. I was hoping that show would get me noticed. :francis:

I'm over it now. :manny:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I just started listening to this podcast called Story Break. It's by 4 writer friends (they're not major but they work, I guess)

Every episode they basically try and "break" a story based on something random like a game, board game, random words or Wikipedia dive. The 1st episode is them trying to "break" a Legend of Zelda pilot or film.

They spend about an hour just talking it through as if they were commissioned to write it and have to crack the story. Pretty interesting, especially if you've never worked as part of a writer duo or been in a writer's room.

Story Break

I don't see myself listening to every episode but I might just pick out a few and listen. Friends Reunion Movie is the one I might listen to next - The "Friends" Reunion Movie (ft. Riley Rose Critchlow) | #78 | Story Break
Everyone, this is on Spotify but not every episode is on it. If you have Android phone get podcast addict app. It's good.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Getting a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader for reading scripts and books worth it?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I've read the pilot script for Atlanta
TV Writing - Atlanta

I'll rewatch it later to see how much was edited and added in while the script is still fresh in my mind.

Watching Star Wars Force Awakens
That's ridiculous they can understand the little droid, BB 8

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've read the pilot script for Atlanta
TV Writing - Atlanta

I'll rewatch it later to see how much was edited and added in while the script is still fresh in my mind.

Watching Star Wars Force Awakens
That's ridiculous they can understand the little droid, BB 8

if I recall correctly. The Atlanta pilot script and what they film are completely different. Thankfully because the script pilot was really inferior.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
if I recall correctly. The Atlanta pilot script and what they film are completely different. Thankfully because the script pilot was really inferior.
Yeah it's different. It's inferior but not bad. I wonder how it works when it's revised for shooting. Since Donald is on board, does he get together with his team and it's done organically. Or it's more of what's ok with executives and other suits

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@Conz @satireprod How would y’all feel about a separate thread focused solely on script feedback? I was thinking it could be similar to the Coli Film Club. Each week one person sends their script to a few posters via PM and gets feedback in the thread. We could even include directions and links for WGA registration and copyrighting just to be safe. I was thinking of doing the thread just wasn’t sure how many people here would truly have the time or desire to read a full length script. But I figure if we gave people a week it could work
Try this again. I need motivation. Think mad stuff in the shower or as I go to bed.