The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Have a few questions about contests:

-Do you send in a PDF of your script?

-Is the fee straight up as advertised? Or are there other bullshyt charges?

-Whats the verdict on adult animated shows being picked? If it’s funny enough, Do they have a decent chance at being a finalist?

anything else I should know?

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I’m so glad that this thread popped up, because I’ve came up with two short film ideas that can become full fledged motion pictures if people are showing interest, but and I need help with screenwriting books and things to watch/learn & gain inspiration. Any tips?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’m so glad that this thread popped up, because I’ve came up with two short film ideas that can become full fledged motion pictures if people are showing interest, but and I need help with screenwriting books and things to watch/learn & gain inspiration. Any tips?

Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

Typically you can send in your script in Pdf form, with the cover page having the title of your script (without your name, to avoid bias)

Normally in a good competition, the price is what it is. Although if you make it to another round and want detailed feedback (optional) they may charge an extra fee. But like I said you dont have to get it.

3rd question I'm not to sure of.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Have a few questions about contests:

-Do you send in a PDF of your script?

-Is the fee straight up as advertised? Or are there other bullshyt charges?

-Whats the verdict on adult animated shows being picked? If it’s funny enough, Do they have a decent chance at being a finalist?

anything else I should know?

Yeah, most if not all want PDFs. The good and really official ones usually do it through their site where you attach/upload your file, but some ask you to submit via email.

Always read the Terms and Conditions. Again, the really good and official ones have very clear Terms and Conditions in plain language so you know exactly what they want in terms of fees or rights.

I don’t know about adult animation - I assume if it’s good enough it’ll get picked. If you’re not sure and don’t wanna risk paying for an entry, shoot them an email and ask beforehand.

Make sure you read Terms and Conditions! I told a story earlier in the thread about a contest I almost entered where the Ts and Cs said if my script got shortlisted the competition would have an option on my script for a year or something without having to pay for it. I didn’t enter obviously.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

to add to what @satireprod and @steadyrighteous said, in general the only 2 screenwriting contests that can get you some industry attention are Austin and Nicholl. Those are the two most prestigious ones though Nicholl has a heavy bias for serious dramas.

Other contests are moreso confidence boosters if you place well or just ways to get feedback.

The contests I’ve submitted to have been Austin, Nicholl, WeScreenPlay, Page, Screencraft and Set in Philadelphia. Screencraft and Page both have specific genre categories you can submit to so you don’t have to deal with genre bias

Screencraft actually has an animation contest but the deadline is tonight
Animation Film and TV Screenplay Contest - ScreenCraft

Page has a “Family Film” category which includes scripts for animated films

My advice? Submit to Austin, Nicholl and either Page or Screencraft this year. If you don’t place in any of them then I’d move on from submitting to anything else as it would likely just be a waste of money. If you place high in any of them then it’s a great indicator that your script can do well in other contests.

Avoid any contests sponsored by Film Freeway, typically they’re a ripoff. And avoid any contest that charges over $100 but has prize money of less than $500 and claims the winners get “access to industry insiders” or something vague like that. Most likely a rip-off or scheme for some indie filmmaker to finance their film

Also, remember, the only 2 contests that will really give you industry attention (ie. contact with potential managers or agents) if you place well in them are Austin and Nicholl although winning any contest will at least give you a better chance of getting your script read if you tell the person you’re submitting it to that you won a contest

Lastly, don’t get too bent out of shape if you don’t place well, a lot of times it’s a matter of personal taste. I’ve had scripts that I didn’t think were that great place higher than scripts that I thought were much better.

Let me know if you have any other questions

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Typically you can send in your script in Pdf form, with the cover page having the title of your script (without your name, to avoid bias)

Normally in a good competition, the price is what it is. Although if you make it to another round and want detailed feedback (optional) they may charge an extra fee. But like I said you dont have to get it.

3rd question I'm not to sure of.

What’s the issue with putting your name on it? :dwillhuh:

Anyways, thanks, guys. Appreciate the replies. :salute:

Im aiming for Austin. Not sure if I read about Nicholl in the top 8 contests article from a site posted a few pages back.

I still need to “finalize” the script. I ended up adding more to the intro scene yesterday. :francis: Only because it didn’t feel long enough. :ld:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

Im aiming for Austin. Not sure if I read about Nicholl in the top 8 contests article from a site posted a few pages back.

I still need to “finalize” the script. I ended up adding more to the intro scene yesterday. :francis: Only because it didn’t feel long enough. :ld:

It just depends on what competition it is. For some contests, not putting your name on the script avoids biases (atleast somewhat). Anyway, I entered the Austin Film Festival last year (Got into the 2nd Round Top 20%) That's also another contest where you're not supposed to put your contact info on there either to remain anonymity in the judging process. General practice, you should probably try to register it with WGA, just to have proof (for yourself) of execution.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It just depends on what competition it is. For some contests, not putting your name on the script avoids biases (atleast somewhat). Anyway, I entered the Austin Film Festival last year (Got into the 2nd Round Top 20%) That's also another contest where you're not supposed to put your contact info on there either to remain anonymity in the judging process. General practice, you should probably try to register it with WGA, just to have proof (for yourself) of execution.

Kinda stupid since people entering aren't known. My paranoid side makes me think it's an easy way to steal ideas. :patrice:

Also, do you pay with a paypal account? or can I use a card? I'd rather use a store bought debit card to pay.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Kinda stupid since people entering aren't known. My paranoid side makes me think it's an easy way to steal ideas. :patrice:

Also, do you pay with a paypal account? or can I use a card? I'd rather use a store bought debit card to pay.
If you're talking about the "prestige" competitions Austin, Nicholls, etc, it's not unheard of for semi-known writers to enter. A lot of people have gotten recognition/deals that stemmed from placing in those contests. But more than that, it's mostly to keep judges honest from giving their friends/family potentially softer critiques.

I normally just use a card

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I wouldn’t submit anything to a contest until it’s as good as you can possibly make it. I’m talking a MINIMUM of 4 drafts/rewrites. If you want some feedback, do a script swap on here or with someone on reddit screenwriting. If you have some extra cash, WeScreenPlay is a good professional service.

But yeah, if you submit anything that you’re not mostly satisfied with at that point then you’re pretty much wasting your money

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I wouldn’t submit anything to a contest until it’s as good as you can possibly make it. I’m talking a MINIMUM of 4 drafts/rewrites. If you want some feedback, do a script swap on here or with someone on reddit screenwriting. If you have some extra cash, WeScreenPlay is a good professional service.

But yeah, if you submit anything that you’re not mostly satisfied with at that point then you’re pretty much wasting your money

I'm kind of satisfied with it. I just didn't feel like the intro scene was long enough. For the most part every other scene fine. I'm still going over it to see if I wanna add anything else, any errors, or if I like the wording.