The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
So I apologize on this one. I was lurking the coli, but not logged in, so I never even knew this was addressed to me. I am not one of those read a book to learn type unfortunately. As a collegian, I studied screenwriting, but it [my writing] was mostly terrible. It took me over 10 years from conception to writing my first novel. And I had to hire an editor for $3000 just to make it look professional, because prose and screenwriting use different literary muscles.

Authors I like however are Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Ian Fleming, Michael Connelly, Philip K. dikk.

As far as the last few novels, believe it or not, I have been reading indie novels (both fiction and non) because I believe some have potential to turn into features and series. One in particular stood out to me, but the author expected my partner and I to shell out real bread for a story no one is even hip to. The person he wrote about is a fascinating individual that did some legitimate "I don't believe it" stuff both in USA and Europe and yet, I have to basically table it until dude is ready to do business.

Problem is... making movies and television shows can take years and people want instant gratification (myself included). I just had a producer tell me he wanted to make a film, then a week later say he passed. Then on Monday, Netflix accepted a script to review. Could work, could be nothing. Just gotta keep plugging away.
You're good breh. That's very eye opening. I really appreciate it you taking your time to share this with a breh.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
How do you guys outline? Do you see it all the way through in one sitting? Or stop at certain parts, write it out, then start again with outlining?

This is the first time I’ve been stumped before act 2. I did come up with ideas for at least some of act 2. I already know how act 2 ends as well as a general idea how act 3 goes and how the movie ends.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Oh absolutely, there are tons of them. I go on coverfly.com/competitions to find some of them.

Noted, while there are literally dozens of competitions, a few hold more weight than others (Austin Film Festival, PAGE Awards, WeScreenplay is solid)

Here's a list of some good ones Top TV Writing Competitions - The Script Lab
Hope this helps.
Thanks, Breh. Ima just throw out this one pilot I started last year. Gonna do another read through or 2 this week before I try my hand at a contest. Honestly, I think it’s almost “perfect.” I was surprised at the lack of edits I did when I went through it last.

This writing shyt is now or never. Back to being unemployed after only 2 days of work. Thought I could hold down this job for a decent amount of time until this writing paid off. :beli:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Thanks, Breh. Ima just throw out this one pilot I started last year. Gonna do another read through or 2 this week before I try my hand at a contest. Honestly, I think it’s almost “perfect.” I was surprised at the lack of edits I did when I went through it last.

This writing shyt is now or never. Back to being unemployed after only 2 days of work. Thought I could hold down this job for a decent amount of time until this writing paid off. :beli:
No doubt 2020 is the year to make some moves with the writing