The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How would you go about shopping it?

I really don't know to be honest. From what I've seen the only screenplay contests that can get you any possible industry attention if you place are Nicholl and Austin Film Festival. So I'm not really expecting much for this even if I do win.

I can start researching potential producers or managers to make queries too but I still think I need to make big improvements in my writing and scripts to get to that point. The only other outlet I've used was the black list but the highest score I got on there was a 7. You need at least an 8 to get some attention.

This shyt is a tough industry bruh lol. The fact that I have a genuine passion for it is what keeps me going. But a new screenwriter trying to break in and sell a script without directing it himself is basically like winning the lottery.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
I really don't know to be honest. From what I've seen the only screenplay contests that can get you any possible industry attention if you place are Nicholl and Austin Film Festival. So I'm not really expecting much for this even if I do win.

I can start researching potential producers or managers to make queries too but I still think I need to make big improvements in my writing and scripts to get to that point. The only other outlet I've used was the black list but the highest score I got on there was a 7. You need at least an 8 to get some attention.

This shyt is a tough industry bruh lol. The fact that I have a genuine passion for it is what keeps me going. But a new screenwriter trying to break in and sell a script without directing it himself is basically like winning the lottery.
I feel you. It's like you gotta have a connect. I marvel at the shyt that I see on Netflix and other platforms. They gotta be related to someone lol

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel you. It's like you gotta have a connect. I marvel at the shyt that I see on Netflix and other platforms. They gotta be related to someone lol

Facts lol. The thing is, when you're already established and in the industry, you can afford to write shytty scripts. But again, if you're not directing it, that first script that breaks you in has to be damn near perfect.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Facts lol. The thing is, when you're already established and in the industry, you can afford to write shytty scripts. But again, if you're not directing it, that first script that breaks you in has to be damn near perfect.
Yo that's like the realest ish bruh. I'm not even trying to be funny but some of the writing "established" people get away with always amazes me on some :ohhh::francis::gucci::dwillhuh::picard::russ:

Like how did this get made? No hate though. It' just lets us know that having a foot in the door (connections) is equally as important as the skill and ambition to be a writer.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Found out today my script "Skin" made the finals of the "Set in Philadelphia" screenplay contest
SIP Screenwriting Competition

Don't think it'll do much as far as helping to garner any attention but it's a huge confidence boost for me still being relatively new to this. Big shoutout to @satireprod @dangerranger and @Sunalmighty for reading the various drafts and giving me feedback. Really helped me make some improvements.
:blessed::salute:congrats. That script is fire. No lie.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Found out today my script "Skin" made the finals of the "Set in Philadelphia" screenplay contest
SIP Screenwriting Competition

Don't think it'll do much as far as helping to garner any attention but it's a huge confidence boost for me still being relatively new to this. Big shoutout to @satireprod @dangerranger and @Sunalmighty for reading the various drafts and giving me feedback. Really helped me make some improvements.

Breh, some of those winners' scripts are :dahell:

Following the murder of his husband, a blind composer swears revenge, only to discover himself entangled in a much deeper conspiracy. And as he struggles to unravel the mystery, the maestro finds that it’s not just an eye for an eye, but what he hears that brings justice.

:what:

After surviving a werewolf attack, a timid cyber-security engineer must escape the werewolf bounty hunter who’s been sent to kill her.

This could be an okay straight to video.

A young naive lesbian assistant building superintendent suffering from dysphoria contemplates “Top surgery” but is discouraged from this by her therapist, bigoted parents and her prejudiced girlfriend.

LGBT Eternal Sunshine... :patrice:

A self-pressuring high school student and aspiring Mathlete gets interrupted on her path to victory when an argument leads to her mind becoming linked with the mind of a slacking stoner and musical genius.

This logline is weak, but the movie could provide fukkery. :ld:

If these scripts are winning contests. I don't know if I should feel :obama: or :francis: about my scripts/ideas.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, some of those winners' scripts are :dahell:

:what:

This could be an okay straight to video.

LGBT Eternal Sunshine... :patrice:

This logline is weak, but the movie could provide fukkery. :ld:

If these scripts are winning contests. I don't know if I should feel :obama: or :francis: about my scripts/ideas.

Eh, loglines are important and an entire skill unto itself, but I can't really pass judgment on a script unless I actually read it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Eh, loglines are important and an entire skill unto itself, but I can't really pass judgment on a script unless I actually read it.

Agreed, But loglines are the hook. They’re a big part on whether a script is worth the time to read.

Not saying they’re crap, but if you were a producer, would you jump all in on one of those based on the logline?

I really can’t see any of those really making money. The Freaky Friday mind swap one could be a decent comedy type flick.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Can you be a nameless scriptwriter who sells a script every year or few for nice chunk of change? Or you must eventually be connected to a degree?
Edit:
Answer

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agreed, But loglines are the hook. They’re a big part on whether a script is worth the time to read.

Not saying they’re crap, but if you were a producer, would you jump all in on one of those based on the logline?

I really can’t see any of those really making money. The Freaky Friday mind swap one could be a decent comedy type flick.

Very true. Although I still think a great 1st page >>>>> amazing logline. Unless a logline is absolute shyt, people will at least skim through your first page. And they'll be able to tell almost immediately whether it's actually worth a read

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Very true. Although I still think a great 1st page >>>>> amazing logline. Unless a logline is absolute shyt, people will at least skim through your first page. And they'll be able to tell almost immediately whether it's actually worth a read

Yeah. I got that 10 page hitter down already. On these 2 scripts I did this year I jump right in. I just finished my 3rd draft for one. Had to go back and do 5 pages earlier because I cut out 6 pages. It was down to 85 pages. Got it back up to 90. (I was actually at 100 on my first draft, but I couldn't go back and reuse scenes because it would change my current layout.)

I might start a new project. I can't layoff writing for a week or so.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
How's the writing coming along for everyone? I recently started working on my second draft for my recent SP. Already on act 3. It's gonna be hard to get this to under 105 pages. It was at 120-121 and I only cut out about 5 pages so far. :francis:

Anyways, I have a question: does it really matter if I use CONT'D next to a character name for dialogue in a new scene if the person talked last in the previous scene?
TV Writing - Atlanta

So far on the pilot script I'm seeing that CONT'D