The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Music helps me write. I would sometimes curate a playlist that fits the theme of whatever piece I was working on.

If the mood didn’t strike then I’d listen to classical music (really helps with writing and studying) or binaural beats/isochronic tones.

giphy.gif

Salute Breh

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
What are you brehs methods for getting around block / motivation to writing an annoying section? :lupe: i've had the shyttiest level of motivation to progress with my current project, it's a dope idea and i enjoy it but I've been struggling to get up and go?:mindblown:
Book stores or city skylines at night

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
So how exactly do I get into film making? At 35, am I too old?

The short answer is no, but it also depends on what you’re interested in doing. If you’re interested in screenwriting then you can be any age. If you’re interested in being on sets, you need to be in decent shape for gripping, ACing, camera operating, booming, etc. but you don’t have to be in good shape to be an AD, script supervisor, line producer, runner, etc. if you want to be an actor you simply need to figure out what kind of roles you’ll likely be casted for and target those productions.

More important than age is whether you have a flexible schedule that allows you to spend at least 30 hours of your week on writing, editing, auditioning, gig searching, etc. Most filmmakers work around their day job until they have enough work coming in to pay the bills. If your schedule isn’t that flexible you’ll probably be wasting your time tbr.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Either screenwriting or acting, I just have to put myself out there. Houston, Texas isn't exactly Hollywood but I have plenty of time since the layoff to write a script. Right now, I'm focusing on graduation til I start back working next year.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
So, is it me or are post first drafts easier and less time consuming to do? I’m working on a 3rd draft and even though I made some changes, they weren’t as “hard” as I thought. I guess it’s because I have a better grasp of the movie(s). :manny:

Im about to work on my third act, which will probably have more edits than the previous acts. But yeah, I started this draft some time last week. Took a day or 2 off too.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Found out today my script "Skin" made the finals of the "Set in Philadelphia" screenplay contest
SIP Screenwriting Competition

Don't think it'll do much as far as helping to garner any attention but it's a huge confidence boost for me still being relatively new to this. Big shoutout to @satireprod @dangerranger and @Sunalmighty for reading the various drafts and giving me feedback. Really helped me make some improvements.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Found out today my script "Skin" made the finals of the "Set in Philadelphia" screenplay contest
SIP Screenwriting Competition

Don't think it'll do much as far as helping to garner any attention but it's a huge confidence boost for me still being relatively new to this. Big shoutout to @satireprod @dangerranger and @Sunalmighty for reading the various drafts and giving me feedback. Really helped me make some improvements.
How would you go about shopping it?