The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Are you talking about the bottom of pages? That’s not what I’m referring to.
No that's not what I mean. If its a NEW scene you use the characters name. I haven't seen CONT'D for a characters name in a new scene. I use it If its the same scene but a break between dialogue

Daps
Reppin
the land of oochie wally AND one mic
How's the writing coming along for everyone? I recently started working on my second draft for my recent SP. Already on act 3. It's gonna be hard to get this to under 105 pages. It was at 120-121 and I only cut out about 5 pages so far. :francis:

Anyways, I have a question: does it really matter if I use CONT'D next to a character name for dialogue in a new scene if the person talked last in the previous scene?

I published my book trilogy on Amazon.

I want to turn it into a screenplay but I’m not that familiar with writing scripts.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
How's the writing coming along for everyone? I recently started working on my second draft for my recent SP. Already on act 3. It's gonna be hard to get this to under 105 pages. It was at 120-121 and I only cut out about 5 pages so far. :francis:

Anyways, I have a question: does it really matter if I use CONT'D next to a character name for dialogue in a new scene if the person talked last in the previous scene?

I’m in the 2nd draft phase as well, been conducting interviews for researching some aspects of my story that require more clarification.

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
What are you brehs methods for getting around block / motivation to writing an annoying section? :lupe: i've had the shyttiest level of motivation to progress with my current project, it's a dope idea and i enjoy it but I've been struggling to get up and go?:mindblown:

Daps
Reppin
the land of oochie wally AND one mic
What are you brehs methods for getting around block / motivation to writing an annoying section? :lupe: i've had the shyttiest level of motivation to progress with my current project, it's a dope idea and i enjoy it but I've been struggling to get up and go?:mindblown:

Music helps me write. I would sometimes curate a playlist that fits the theme of whatever piece I was working on.

If the mood didn’t strike then I’d listen to classical music (really helps with writing and studying) or binaural beats/isochronic tones.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

1) Step away and come back to it later
2) music
3) writing when I first wake up (if possible)
4) voice record myself free styling/ dictating half baked ideas and taking notes on what sounded halfway good

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’ve recently stumbled upon the Trumbo method of sitting in a bath and coming up with ideas. It’s peaceful, especially if you have a central cooling air vent inside. Lol

I don’t write tho.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
So, I only cut out 5-6 pages for my second draft. :beli:

I changed about 25% from my first draft, but the page count, man. I’m trying to get 10 more pages off to get it to about 105 pages.

Right now I feel everything is fine for the progress of the movie. I’ll go back to it in a month. Maybe there’s some scenes I’ll think differently of.

Anyone have advice if you’ve been in this predicament?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
So, I only cut out 5-6 pages for my second draft. :beli:

I changed about 25% from my first draft, but the page count, man. I’m trying to get 10 more pages off to get it to about 105 pages.

Right now I feel everything is fine for the progress of the movie. I’ll go back to it in a month. Maybe there’s some scenes I’ll think differently of.

Anyone have advice if you’ve been in this predicament?

What's the main reason you wanna cut down the page count? If it's just to fit into the standard "90 pages = 90 minutes" thing, then don't do it.

But if you genuinely feel like you've got unnecessary fat, you probably gotta have someone else read it and let them know before, "what do you think is in there that doesn't need to be?"

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
What's the main reason you wanna cut down the page count? If it's just to fit into the standard "90 pages = 90 minutes" thing, then don't do it.

But if you genuinely feel like you've got unnecessary fat, you probably gotta have someone else read it and let them know before, "what do you think is in there that doesn't need to be?"

I just don’t want it to look long. I have a good idea and the story feels the same.

I never believed that 1 page = 1 minute stuff. It’s a thought to keep in mind to help out the progress, tho.

I’m at about 115 pages, and this is an animation movie I’m working on. It shouldn’t really be this long.