The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
and this is exactly why the reader thing is a joke, they're just guessing half the time, scripts that look like nothing happened at all be winnin Oscars and scripts with perfect structuring that follow all of the "rules" turn out being trash. these producers don't know what they're looking for most of the time because the cotdamn CONSUMERS don't even know what they want most of the time. marvel comic movies and star wars are damn near the only sure things in the industry right now

Could it ALSO be alot of the writers that be getting these jobs have the connections and inside track??? or that they are white???:ld:

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and this is exactly why the reader thing is a joke, they're just guessing half the time, scripts that look like nothing happened at all be winnin Oscars and scripts with perfect structuring that follow all of the "rules" turn out being trash. these producers don't know what they're looking for most of the time because the cotdamn CONSUMERS don't even know what they want most of the time. marvel comic movies and star wars are damn near the only sure things in the industry right now

With things being so broken do you have any suggestions for us writers to get our work out there in front of producers and people? One trend that is so common is they want you to write for someone else’s show for awhile. I get it, you need to experience. But the people who get there show made most of their stories tend to be when they hit their 40s. Not to mention you’ll be lucky to get your own thing made. Then there is an issue of the script no longer being contemporary. Should we still focus on going the traditional route or trying to break in with our own projects in unorthodox ways?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
You got a link?

Link please...:ehh: Also sluglines are settings of the scene right? :jbhmm:

Just google “Nightcrawler pdf.” Should be in the top 5 results.

Yes, slugs are scene settings.

I get it, but there really is a point to making a script presentable. This shyt looks like a 10 year old did it.

Execs bytch about script structure, but when you see a script like this, one that actually was made, it’s really a slap to writers.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Could it ALSO be alot of the writers that be getting these jobs have the connections and inside track??? or that they are white???:ld:
Um to get any job in this field you have to have connections, the difference is whether you were born with em or you got them based off of you as a person. shyt in order to even know some shyt is getting made you have to know someone who's working on it already most of the time.

Getting and maintaining connections is a huge part of all the art/entertainment fields

People gotta vouch for your personality and all of that jazz cuz being around the same handful of people for 12+ hours a day is exhausting

And no a million cacs fail at getting scripts made all the time, you're just a name on a piece of paper they're not gonna bother looking you up until they actually get a script they wanna move forward with

I get it, but there really is a point to making a script presentable. This shyt looks like a 10 year old did it.

Execs bytch about script structure, but when you see a script like this, one that actually was made, it’s really a slap to writers.
I gotta disagree, if the script is dope or a director feels like they can make it dope no one cares breh, that type of stuff only gets brought up when no one knows who the fukk you are and that's all they have to go on

Writers can feel however they want about it :manny: make something better or get over it tbh

With things being so broken do you have any suggestions for us writers to get our work out there in front of producers and people? One trend that is so common is they want you to write for someone else’s show for awhile. I get it, you need to experience. But the people who get there show made most of their stories tend to be when they hit their 40s. Not to mention you’ll be lucky to get your own thing made. Then there is an issue of the script no longer being contemporary. Should we still focus on going the traditional route or trying to break in with our own projects in unorthodox ways?
Max out whatever opportunities and resources you have breh, there isn't any secret shortcut around it :francis: why wouldn't you already be trying unorthodox things as well as traditional? You never know where your big break is gonna come from, nobody has a master plan for any of this stuff outside of being ready for when your number is called to go in the game

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I gotta disagree, if the script is dope or a director feels like they can make it dope no one cares breh, that type of stuff only gets brought up when no one knows who the fukk you are and that's all they have to go on

Writers can feel however they want about it :manny: make something better or get over it tbh

You’re missing my point. Everywhere you read or hear about a script’s “proper” structuring; make sure you use this font, sluglines are needed, make it spaced like this. When you’re being told that, and read a script with Nightcrawler’s layout, it’s a slap in the face.

I’m not talking about the story. I’m talking about the layout. There’s even a character name error in the first 2-3 pages.

The writer is probably established because there’s no way this script would be made if it was by an unknown.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
You’re missing my point. Everywhere you read or hear about a script’s “proper” structuring; make sure you use this font, sluglines are needed, make it spaced like this. When you’re being told that, and read a script with Nightcrawler’s layout, it’s a slap in the face.

I’m not talking about the story. I’m talking about the layout. There’s even a character name error in the first 2-3 pages.

The writer is probably established because there’s no way this script would be made if it was by an unknown.
I'm working on my first script and if you have zero connections you gotta make sure you're script is pristine. I feel like a teacher editing my stuff but that produces good habits. But if you get on and connected I'm sure you'll loose up. But that's what drafts are for. That draft you are going by, is that the final draft?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I'm working on my first script and if you have zero connections you gotta make sure you're script is pristine. I feel like a teacher editing my stuff but that produces good habits. But if you get on and connected I'm sure you'll loose up. But that's what drafts are for. That draft you are going by, is that the final draft?

It’s not a shooting script. But from what I read it’s pretty much on point with the movie.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

1. It's Dan Gilroy - he's got cache. He might have sold it on pitch alone
2. He also directed it. He's really the only person who needed to make sense of it other than the actors, and they'll get/understand their parts just fine.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
1. It's Dan Gilroy - he's got cache. He might have sold it on pitch alone
2. He also directed it. He's really the only person who needed to make sense of it other than the actors, and they'll get/understand their parts just fine.

You beat me to posting. Dan Gilroy wrote and directed his story. He also is a child of Hollywood and has been in the business his entire life. His twin brother [John] is an editor and his other brother [Tony] wrote the Bourne films. This is not someone to emulate if your relationships aren't the same. Dan has done so many uncredited script polishes for over 30+ years. He has absolutely nothing in common with the average person hoping to break into Hollywood screenwriting.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

And im telling you we see shyt like that in scripts all the damn time :manny: more common than you think

Also what version of the script did you read? Mighta not been the final draft to be fair

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Screenplay Format Guide: Slug Lines - Story Sense®

:patrice: you sure man maybe I'm looking at a different version.

I forgot the name and searched “slug line.” The first paragraph on google is from wiki:

slug line (plural slug lines) Examples (abbreviated text) ·EXT. BRIDGE NIGHT (an exterior location, on a bridge at night) (authorship) A line of abbreviated text at the beginning of each scene in a screenplay that describes the location and time of day.