The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
I mentioned this before, but I released a book in May. Now I am releasing another in July. Not sure if the Coli digs YA space adventures, but if you know anyone who has children and is looking for an interesting story with [some] black people doing extraordinary things, well... peek under the hood.

45305697._SY475_.jpg

Logline: In the distant future, seven teenage explorers, bonded together by unspeakable loss, embark on an epic journey of discovery, wonderment and survival throughout our infinite universe, which will subsequently unlock the full potential of their minds, bodies and souls.

41ugwmdY-IL.jpg

Logline: With their resources falling to critical levels, the Red Rover is compelled to land on a mysterious new planet to replenish them; where much to their collective surprise, the inhabitants of this world readily welcome them with open arms.

A little under three years ago, I pitched screenplay to one of the producers of the X-Men movies and they told me I needed to write the book, so here we are. I am currently working on book three in the series now and working on putting together a feature at Amazon. We'll see if it turns out all right.

Just wanted to share.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I started my second draft. I noticed my first and second acts are about the same amount of pages (35 and 36). Third act is about 30. Is this a big deal? :lupe:

That really doesn't matter, breh.

You have to stop thinking about scripts like they're a formula or equation. Something will either feel too long or too short if it drags or it ends abruptly.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
I'm writing and I have to keep reminding myself it's a SCRIPT and it's not supposed to be "possible". I always try to incorporate a sense of "maybe" into it. That frustrates me

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
About half way done with my recent screenplay. Started about a week and a half ago. It’s coming out :ehh:

:myman: I'm halfway done with the first draft of my very detailed treatment/script outline, been marinating on the idea for a year or so and it's coming together. I started writing four days ago, I'm tryna push through to finish the first draft before I go back to school in 9 days. I just might actually do it :lupe:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
:myman: I'm halfway done with the first draft of my very detailed treatment/script outline, been marinating on the idea for a year or so and it's coming together. I started writing four days ago, I'm tryna push through to finish the first draft before I go back to school in 9 days. I just might actually do it :lupe:
You niccas write quick. I'm just beyond the half way point and I feel like I finally cracked the code

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I'm thinking of sending in my script to a future contest. I have some questions:

-Can the script you sent in still be shopped to studios?

-Do you still own the original screenplay once it's submitted?

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
I'm thinking of sending in my script to a future contest. I have some questions:

-Can the script you sent in still be shopped to studios?

-Do you still own the original screenplay once it's submitted?
If you're sending it to a competition or festival, most will allow it (shopping it outside the contest to studio). They just dont want it to be under an option (where a producer or production company/studio has the right or "option" to produce it)

Also, you absolutely keep your rights in screenplays you submit. I've entered a handful of competitions and they have all stressed that you keep your rights in the project. Just be sure to look over there submission guidelines to be 100 on it

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If you're sending it to a competition or festival, most will allow it (shopping it outside the contest to studio). They just dont want it to be under an option (where a producer or production company/studio has the right or "option" to produce it)

Also, you absolutely keep your rights in screenplays you submit. I've entered a handful of competitions and they have all stressed that you keep your rights in the project. Just be sure to look over there submission guidelines to be 100 on it

So there are contest companies that pimp slap you by taking your creation and it making it their own? :gucci: