The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Whoa :ohhh::salute:That's live right there.

Is that for just film or TV too?
Both, i work on both

They gotta be there to make sure they shyt gettin made the right way breh :pachaha: everybody cool af tho i haven't ran into any dikkheads yet

Coolest people so far have been the stranger things brothers, wonder woman director, and the dude from Lost

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Yea i still don't know how viable the competition shyt is tbh, havent heard or seen too many people get legit gigs like that

Working shows is way different from movies tho so i'd trily to get a writer assistant gig if i were you, AND work on a set as a crew member atleast once so you have a sense of what it takes to make the shyt you wanna write as well as how hectic the process is, they be rewriting shyt a gazillion times and most new cats aint ready for that type of pressure

No doubt. That's good game right there.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Good writing my nikka :manny: being in it "for the bag" isn't gonna go over well with most of em tho, just sayin :francis:

Oh I know that...:whoa: I'm looking to write a great story I just want to be fairly compensated for it...:ehh: People who write movies get paid regardless no matter how you slice it... People are in the screenplay business to either see their work on the small screen / big screen but get paid for it...

Who writes their blood sweat and tears for free???:why:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Both, i work on both

They gotta be there to make sure they shyt gettin made the right way breh :pachaha: everybody cool af tho i haven't ran into any dikkheads yet

Coolest people so far have been the stranger things brothers, wonder woman director, and the dude from Lost
How did you get your foot in?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Oh I know that...:whoa: I'm looking to write a great story I just want to be fairly compensated for it...:ehh: People who write movies get paid regardless no matter how you slice it... People are in the screenplay business to either see their work on the small screen / big screen but get paid for it...

Who writes their blood sweat and tears for free???:why:
I know that im just sayin they want people who give a fukk about the artistry of what they doin, not people just doin it for the money, I work on real union productions not some bullshyt that doesn't pay people

How did you get your foot in?
would you believe me if I say I just asked? :dead: them nikkas just liked me so they brought me on, you can learn most of this shyt on the job, you just gotta be likeable cuz nobody wants to work 12-16 hour days with someone who's annoying or lazy. it's also a situation where black privilege can be a real thing, they like seein nikkas come from the bottom (atleast from my experience, I've heard about other people having different experiences)

these kids who go to film school get fired daily or don't get called for work cuz they don't have real world social skills (or know how to get their hands dirty working hard) you don't need that shyt at all unless you're going straight into camera/electric/art departments tbh

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
I know that im just sayin they want people who give a fukk about the artistry of what they doin, not people just doin it for the money, I work on real union productions not some bullshyt that doesn't pay people

would you believe me if I say I just asked? :dead: them nikkas just liked me so they brought me on, you can learn most of this shyt on the job, you just gotta be likeable cuz nobody wants to work 12-16 hour days with someone who's annoying or lazy. it's also a situation where black privilege can be a real thing, they like seein nikkas come from the bottom (atleast from my experience, I've heard about other people having different experiences)

these kids who go to film school get fired daily or don't get called for work cuz they don't have real world social skills (or know how to get their hands dirty working hard) you don't need that shyt at all unless you're going straight into camera/electric/art departments tbh

That's some real food for thought right there. Sometimes you just got to get in there and grind. I feel that.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

Ahh. How did you come across the opportunities tho? Did you look online? Ads?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Ahh. How did you come across the opportunities tho? Did you look online? Ads?
Just used common sense and looked up people who actually did it in my area and asked if they or anyone they knew needed help wit shyt

Ultimately you gotta make those opportunities happen for yourself tho, fukk a hand out

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

:ehh::ehh::ehh: Cool cool... I love writing stories its just that idk I always seem to not have that good luck going forward... I want it to be a great story but I've been hearing crazy stories where people get screwed outta money...:hhh: I dont wanna be screwed over is all im saying so I tend to be on my P's and Q's now... I am more cynical than I was when I was younger... doing things just for the craft or the love isnt feasible in todays world anymore...:francis: sadly. I'll let you know when its done.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’m reading the Nightcrawler script, and got damn I can’t believe the script structuring. Every action scene ... is just like ... this. The writer also takes a shytload of space breaks to emphasis certain things. It’s very annoying. There’s also no sluglines. :mindblown:

I wonder how many readers passed on this script due to this. :heh:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I’m reading the Nightcrawler script, and got damn I can’t believe the script structuring. Every action scene ... is just like ... this. The writer also takes a shytload of space breaks to emphasis certain things. It’s very annoying. There’s also no sluglines. :mindblown:

You got a link?

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

Link please...:ehh: Also sluglines are settings of the scene right? :jbhmm:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

and this is exactly why the reader thing is a joke, they're just guessing half the time, scripts that look like nothing happened at all be winnin Oscars and scripts with perfect structuring that follow all of the "rules" turn out being trash. these producers don't know what they're looking for most of the time because the cotdamn CONSUMERS don't even know what they want most of the time. marvel comic movies and star wars are damn near the only sure things in the industry right now