The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Congrats. I was an award finalist at the Houston comedy film festival a month ago. Got accepted into the Southeast Regional coming up on June 1st. Made some connects. 1st screenplay I ever wrote.

Thanks bro. And that's dope! Congrats! Me @satireprod and @Sunalmighty have been reading each other's stuff outside the coli. Message me if you wanna do a script swap or need feedback on anything.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Cool. I live in FL. I flew out for the festival. shyt was crazy. I think I was the only person there that won an award that was just a regular 9-5 person that started writing. Other people that won had been to film school or had been writing for years, and was already in the industry in some capacity. People was handed out business cards...I ain’t have no business cards.

I’ve been networking and this shyt is all about being in the right place at the right time with the right people. The more people you know the better. Anybody wanna holler at me via PMs about it, go ahead. Never know what could come of any connection.

No doubt man. You're on point when you say timing and networking/connections is super important

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey Brehs,

I finally finished my Before Dawn pilot script and I am looking for a test audience to get feedback from. Essentially, this script is a political action drama with superhero elements to it. This project has been my baby for a decade, just constantly revamping it. You don't know how hard it is to have ideas that you thought of way in advance come out years later and kicking yourself because you were too in your head to put your material out or trying to be a perfectionist. I finally got to the point where I'm like no more and I want to execute of making my projects a reality. Anyways, this is 68 pages TV pilot and I'm just looking for feedback because building a following for this concept online is my utmost priority before I try to shop it around. If you're interested you can PM me for the pdf.

I've played around with the following logline for this show:

A politician and his teenage son try to save their dying city but on opposite sides of the law.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Finally getting back to it after being a lazy ass for 3 months. I gotta motivate myself to write like I was before I stopped recently. Got so many ideas, about 5-8 scripts I have to go over, and overall just think of my future.

Scripts writers are trying to sell don’t need the usual headings, right? Like act 1, end of act 1, cold open, etc.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
How many of yall actually work in film?

I do im just checkin in to see if any brehs wanted to network for jobs n shyt, i been in it for 4 years workin in different departments

Also if anyone got script questions lemme know, i be chillin wit the writers all the time and we get the scripts for shows while we're workin on em

I feel like one if the main things new writers dont think about is the logistics of the shyt they writin, you can write all the huge fantasy and action scenes you want, if the budget isn't there you need to know how to rewrite something more practical because you're asking 100-200 people to go out in the elements to film the shyt you comin up with

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

I do im just checkin in to see if any brehs wanted to network for jobs n shyt, i been in it for 4 years workin in different departments

Also if anyone got script questions lemme know, i be chillin wit the writers all the time and we get the scripts for shows while we're workin on em

I feel like one if the main things new writers dont think about is the logistics of the shyt they writin, you can write all the huge fantasy and action scenes you want, if the budget isn't there you need to know how to rewrite something more practical because you're asking 100-200 people to go out in the elements to film the shyt you comin up with

you have connections on big figureheads who's looking to buy new scripts?:patrice:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
you have connections on big figureheads who's looking to buy new scripts?:patrice:
Producers? Yea i know a couple who ask me to shoot them anything that im writing, but that's moreso because they fukk with me and my taste and want me to glo up, idk what they'd say if i passed them something someone else wrote :manny:

You're chilling with directors/prosucers and writers if your on set working so i'd suggest ya get a film job cuz it's a layup if you got a good script, everyone knows everyone for the most part

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Producers? Yea i know a couple who ask me to shoot them anything that im writing, hut that's moreso because they fukk with me and my taste and want me to glo up, idk what they'd say if i passed them something someone else wrote :manny:

Well shyt ask them what they're looking for...:mjgrin: I'm trying to get a bag...

satireprod

Superstar
Daps

That's dope fam. I know a few of us are writing and entering competitions/festivals to really get into the game (@Drew Wonder has some great film scripts)
I'm trying to get in on the TV side, just applied to a network writing program, so any possible networking bro I'm down.

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Producers? Yea i know a couple who ask me to shoot them anything that im writing, but that's moreso because they fukk with me and my taste and want me to glo up, idk what they'd say if i passed them something someone else wrote :manny:

You're chilling with directors/prosucers and writers if your on set working so i'd suggest ya get a film job cuz it's a layup if you got a good script, everyone knows everyone for the most part

Whoa :ohhh::salute:That's live right there.

Is that for just film or TV too?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
That's dope fam. I know a few of us are writing and entering competitions/festivals to really get into the game (@Drew Wonder has some great film scripts)
I'm trying to get in on the TV side, just applied to a network writing program, so any possible networking bro I'm down.
Yea i still don't know how viable the competition shyt is tbh, havent heard or seen too many people get legit gigs like that

Working shows is way different from movies tho so i'd trily to get a writer assistant gig if i were you, AND work on a set as a crew member atleast once so you have a sense of what it takes to make the shyt you wanna write as well as how hectic the process is, they be rewriting shyt a gazillion times and most new cats aint ready for that type of pressure