The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
So there are contest companies that pimp slap you by taking your creation and it making it their own? :gucci:

Not straight up stealing your work, but some contests or things like mentorship programs etc. will have you submit a script and in the fine print you'll see that part of submitting is they have the right (or option) on the script for 6 months/a year or some shyt.

I was gonna enter a writer's scheme a year ago (forgot the name) and I saw that in the fine print if I made it to the last 50, they'd have rights to my script for a year without having to pay me.

I'd get paid if it was sold, but normally an option like that comes with money. They just straight up would have those rights for free and I wouldn't be able to sell it myself because I made it on their "shortlist" :martin:

Always read the terms top to bottom.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Not straight up stealing your work, but some contests or things like mentorship programs etc. will have you submit a script and in the fine print you'll see that part of submitting is they have the right (or option) on the script for 6 months/a year or some shyt.

I was gonna enter a writer's scheme a year ago (forgot the name) and I saw that in the fine print if I made it to the last 50, they'd have rights to my script for a year without having to pay me.

I'd get paid if it was sold, but normally an option like that comes with money. They just straight up would have those rights for free and I wouldn't be able to sell it myself because I made it on their "shortlist" :martin:

Always read the terms top to bottom.
Anything else to look out for?

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
So there are contest companies that pimp slap you by taking your creation and it making it their own? :gucci:

Mannnn you know there are always scammers out there..and they dont explicitly say it like that but you just got to be careful..like for instance, there was a competition that was like if you win you get 10k and they will fund the movie, but of course that should be negotiated and not so low (in my opinion)

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
Just knocked out the first act of the actual screenplay after writing damn near 48 hours straight :blessed:

Two more to go :shaq2: and highkey I need to have a first draft done by Tuesday AM:francis:

At bolded, damn you were on it

Need a draft by Tuesday? Are you sending it off to people or just a personal deadline?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
At bolded, damn you were on it

Need a draft by Tuesday? Are you sending it off to people or just a personal deadline?

There's an SF Film Society fellowship/residency that closes submissions on 9/4 and I have a class at SF State I can't take unless I have a completed first draft by Tuesday morning. There's another class for feature screenplays in development that I tried to crash but it was full :snoop:

TBR deadlines notwithstanding I'm in a great position rn considering I started writing the script outline 2.5 weeks ago. I can realistically finish the first draft by the end of this weekend but 9/10 chance the professor ain't tryna hear that shyt :aicmon:

satireprod

Superstar
Daps
There's an SF Film Society fellowship/residency that closes submissions on 9/4 and I have a class at SF State I can't take unless I have a completed first draft by Tuesday morning. There's another class for feature screenplays in development that I tried to crash but it was full :snoop:

TBR deadlines notwithstanding I'm in a great position rn considering I started writing the script outline 2.5 weeks ago. I can realistically finish the first draft by the end of this weekend but 9/10 chance the professor ain't tryna hear that shyt :aicmon:

No doubt bro. Dig deep and knock it out the box

Fallacy

Replace the last name with an X
Daps
Anybody got a link to final draft? Or are there free options that are comparable? Just got into screenwriting.