The Coli owes Issa Rae an apology

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Haven't seen the show but I remember shytting on people in that thread lol. The black experience is vast, dynamic, and versatile. There is room for any and every story to be told.

We live in a society that declares a movie with too many black characters "a black movie" but would never say the same about movies with majority white casts. I was watching A Place Between The Pines recently, which is a good movie so far (didn't have time to finish it). Two main characters are white men. Is it a film about white people? No one would label it as such. But this drives home the point that films like A Place Between the Pines aren't made with black people. I want to get to a point where they are made, and no one bats an eye.

Stories about black men struggling aren't a part of an agenda. Stories about black men fukking up aren't part of an agenda. And no, stories about black men being gay aren't part of an agenda either. They all fit in the black experience. And as long as I have no logical reason to doubt the intention of the writer, I'm going to view it for what it is: art. A movie or show I can think about, and hopefully something that challenges me.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Haven't seen the show but I remember shytting on people in that thread lol. The black experience is vast, dynamic, and versatile. There is room for any and every story to be told.

We live in a society that declares a movie with too many black characters "a black movie" but would never say the same about movies with majority white casts. I was watching A Place Between The Pines recently, which is a good movie so far (didn't have time to finish it). Two main characters are white men. Is it a film about white people? No one would label it as such. But this drives home the point that films like A Place Between the Pines aren't made with black people. I want to get to a point where they are made, and no one bats an eye.

Stories about black men struggling aren't a part of an agenda. Stories about black men fukking up aren't part of an agenda. And no, stories about black men being gay aren't part of an agenda either. They all fit in the black experience. And as long as I have no logical reason to doubt the intention of the writer, I'm going to view it for what it is: art. A movie or show I can think about, and hopefully something that challenges me.
This. we are our own worst enemies sometimes when it comes to varied entertainment

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Good post. Felt the same way about Moonlight. The Agenda and all that but it was a good film.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Cats are so feminine:heh: ashy can't you just appreciate the show for what it is? Cats aren't wrong for their criticisms of the first couple of episodes the same way that you aren't wrong for acknowledging that the show has picked up from the first two episodes. There's no denying that the first couple of episodes pushed narratives that are commonly used to negatively generalize black men. Now the show has picked up and become much less predictable since those first couple episodes. Nobody owes an apology for commenting on what they saw tho. Now if cats were refusing to acknowledge that the show has approved then you'd be justified in your sassy bytching.

The truth of the matter is that the portrayal of black women on the show in the last couple of eps is almost as problematic as the portrayal of black men in the first couple of eps. The two main black woman characters are both bytches who really aren't that likeable. Seems like a show by and for black women should have better female characters representing them.

You hypersensitive dudes are the epitome of feminine with your head in the sand not being able to acknowledge when you are wrong attitude. The show didn't push any negative black generalizations early on y'all are just looking under every rock and crevice for any perceived slight.

Last edited:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
You hypersensitive dudes are the epitome of feminine with your head in the sand not being able to acknowledge when you are wrong attitude. The show didn't push any negative black generalizations early on y'all are just little under every rock and crevice for any perceived slight.
You quote me on some sassy bytchy shyt because you don't agree with my opinion then have the gall to accuse me of being hypersensitive. Ignorant is truly bliss and this site is a sad reminder that a lot (people who claim to be)black people are ignorant as fukk.

You can disagree with the critiques that people such as myself had about the first couple of episodes without being a sassy limp wristed bytch about it. That's my point in this thread. It's ok to not agree with the next person's opinion but it's like you fukks actually get offended because people dare express opinions that you don't like or agree with. So you resort to ad hominems and other types of sassy shyt to vent your frustrations. It's gay/feminine.

Busted_Toes

Veteran
Daps
Yall not fooling me... Look at the glee on her face.

Screen-shot-2012-10-01-at-1.57.44-PM.png

Season 2. Be patient, that mixed race baby is coming.

SGh9gg4.png