The Chi (Showtime) Official Season 1 Thread

whatthatthangsmelllike

W$GT$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
It's coo so far never been to Chicago but I think it could have more of a gritty feel to it kinda like the wire and also like breh said before they could use the areas slang

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Peace to Com:ohlawd:

...loved, felt, and believed every character; especially young Kevin:wow:

'I wasn't ready for this shyt - I'm gonna miss you G':damn:

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
First episode has me intrigued.:blessed:The Wire Chicago.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
ill watch because im from Chicago, but...

...this feels NOTHING like the city.
the cast looks, talks, and acts like middle/upper class folks.

There are a ton of little things wrong...their dress, speech, etc...

A corner store in the hood and there arent at least 2 cats standing out front serving?

Dialogue in major tv shows has to be spoken in an easily digestible way. The wire was the same way, only a few people had that authentic baltimore speech. But I disagree, both moms definitely sounded like they were authentic hood women who raised their sons to be different so they acted different.

Daps
35 seconds in and it was already my favorite show on television right now. My god...

Its funny cause, during the first couple of scenes, when the kid was ducking with the dog, i was thinking, Lena had any balls, she’d kill this kid off rip. She’s a beast ass writer man... the eulogy scene had me teary eyed too. I wasn’t ready. I just watched Mudbound yesterday, Easy E is a hell of an actor.

Also, the way possessions get passed around through different characters is a dope plot device that i hope she keeps doing throughout the show.

. I think the dad is going to see that kid with the bike, and know he snitched.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Dialogue in major tv shows has to be spoken in an easily digestible way. The wire was the same way, only a few people had that authentic baltimore speech. But I disagree, both moms definitely sounded like they were authentic hood women who raised their sons to be different so they acted different.
The Wire and this show are night and day.
The Wire was one of the few shows like that where they took their time...and actually engaged you w/ the characters.
People felt real.

Its not just how they speak...its the writing, and some the character development already seems too on the nose (they damn near spell everything out for you).

I mean...that highschool? Really...that is nothing what a Chicago public highschool looks like...at least not in that neighborhood.
and how/why are all those kids G'd up?
Even dumb shyt like the opening scene with the kid riding around on his bike...never seen shyt like that in the hood.

or how it feels to walk around on those blocks...feels like the suburbs.
I pretty much grew up right around the corner from where they are at.

These issues arent specific to this show...most Tv shows (especially on Showtime) have really lazy formulaic writing.

This show feels like Power to me...good enough to watch, but its nothing that you havent seen.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
The Wire and this show are night and day.
The Wire was one of the few shows like that where they took their time...and actually engaged you w/ the characters.
People felt real.

Its not just how they speak...its the writing, and some the character development already seems too on the nose (they damn near spell everything out for you).

I mean...that highschool? Really...that is nothing what a Chicago public highschool looks like...at least not in that neighborhood.
and how/why are all those kids G'd up?
Even dumb shyt like the opening scene with the kid riding around on his bike...never seen shyt like that in the hood.

or how it feels to walk around on those blocks...feels like the suburbs.
I pretty much grew up right around the corner from where they are at.

These issues arent specific to this show...most Tv shows (especially on Showtime) have really lazy formulaic writing.

This show feels like Power to me...good enough to watch, but its nothing that you havent seen.

Obviously I'm not going to argue authenticity as it can never match real life. When people start up major tv shows based on location they need permission and agreements in place to get that done. For all we know the producers agreed with the city to help refurbish/remodel the school for filming purposes.

As far as the characters, the weirdo bay area kid I agree was out the loop, but that was also his character. His older brother seems authentic just a blue collar "good" guy trying to make it out of Southside. All the moms seems like authentic hood chicks like I mentioned earlier. The only two characters that were really out the loop is the player guy and the weirdo little brother (who died). Dialogue I agree with you but that's done purposely no one except hardcore followers will watch a Chicago show with heavy local speech.

I agree somewhat with the writing but it's way better than Power so far. Power is a soap opera damn near for females only.