The Chi (Showtime) Official Season 1 Thread

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The main problem with showtime is they don't know how and when to end shows with a great bang. Hopefully this will change with this one, we haven't forgotten about dexter, weeds and many of their other shows that had crappy final seasons.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Only two episodes in but this jawn has the potential to be on the level of the Wire :whew:

This is written by the dyke chick on Master of None....so what Common gotta do with the authenticity? She from Chicago and it look like the episode of Dope I just saw on Netflix and all the other documentaries about Chicago. What yall mad they ain't saying "foo" every 3 words?

Last edited:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Only two episodes in but this jawn has the potential to be on the level of the Wire :whew:

This is written by the dyke chick on Master of None....so what Common gotta do with the authenticity? She from Chicago and it look like the episode of Dope I just saw on Netflix and all the other documentaries about Chicago. What yall mad they ain't saying "foo" every 3 words?
:dead: after 2 episodes???

Dreamzeedream

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The show seem like it a be good. They shot this show on the Westside of Chicago and most of the scenes were film up the street from my house. But they pretend like their outsouth. It would be dope to see some actors from Chicago I'm the show who could bring a Real Chicago feel(Chicago Culture/Lingo). I don' think none of these actors are from the city

Dreamzeedream

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Obviously I'm not going to argue authenticity as it can never match real life. When people start up major tv shows based on location they need permission and agreements in place to get that done. For all we know the producers agreed with the city to help refurbish/remodel the school for filming purposes.

As far as the characters, the weirdo bay area kid I agree was out the loop, but that was also his character. His older brother seems authentic just a blue collar "good" guy trying to make it out of Southside. All the moms seems like authentic hood chicks like I mentioned earlier. The only two characters that were really out the loop is the player guy and the weirdo little brother (who died). Dialogue I agree with you but that's done purposely no one except hardcore followers will watch a Chicago show with heavy local speech.

I agree somewhat with the writing but it's way better than Power so far. Power is a soap opera damn near for females only.
:snoop: there not on the Southside tho

Dreamzeedream

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Wire and this show are night and day.
The Wire was one of the few shows like that where they took their time...and actually engaged you w/ the characters.
People felt real.

Its not just how they speak...its the writing, and some the character development already seems too on the nose (they damn near spell everything out for you).

I mean...that highschool? Really...that is nothing what a Chicago public highschool looks like...at least not in that neighborhood.
and how/why are all those kids G'd up?
Even dumb shyt like the opening scene with the kid riding around on his bike...never seen shyt like that in the hood.

or how it feels to walk around on those blocks...feels like the suburbs.
I pretty much grew up right around the corner from where they are at.

These issues arent specific to this show...most Tv shows (especially on Showtime) have really lazy formulaic writing.

This show feels like Power to me...good enough to watch, but its nothing that you havent seen.

I live in the area. Where they shot the show at. U right tho

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
They're not wasting any time with the progression of some of the plots, that's for sure. Only 2 episodes in and we got
- a murder
- a kid who is falsely blamed of said murder
- same kid is killed for that murder
- cop figures out it wasn't kid to begin with and who actual killer is
- confronts real killer and informs him that he got the wrong person

If this the Walking Dead, we'd be waiting til 2020 for most of this

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Easy E been killing it. Dude got range
I enjoyed the show

The scene at the funeral, brothers speech was emotional

Kima gone from a cop to a drunk babymother
This show made me not like Kima at all, and I've always liked Kima. That's a sign of great writing and acting.
Eazy-E acted like he lost his real life brother during his funeral speech.
Somebody had better win some awards for this show!

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
When shorty licked his face :dead:

Reminded of the scene from norbit
Yep...a carbon copy too.

This too:
giphy.gif