"‘The Book of Clarence": LaKeith Stanfield, RJ Cyler, Alfre Woodard, James McAvoy, Teyana Taylor, Benedict Cumberbatch & more (Discussion Thread)

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Just saw it. Overall good. Minor spoilers ahead. Major spoilers will be in tags. I'm going to give my thoughts as a movie fan as well as a Christian. First, let me give my conspiracy theory. I haven't seen any interviews, but I believe it's called the book of Clarence because of Clarence 13 X. Everybody knows Jay Z a Nation of Gods and Earth (5%ers). And who was its founder? Clarence 13 X. Who was Clarence in this movie? The 13th Apostle.

Positive: Overall good acting from everybody. There was nobody I was like "Why did they cast him or her". Even Teyana Taylor was straight and I don't like her acting.

Messaging: Obviously, the film maker used biblical time to relate to what's going on today. From the corruption of Christianity, police brutality. I think for the most part it works and should bring alot of discussions on social issues if people see it.

Artsy stuff: There were 2 biblical scenes that were shot so well. Having just watch "Poor THings" last week which was artsy. I really had feel on. Even though I knew the story, the way he recreated with an artsy feel was so dope.

Negative: Overboard with some messaging. I hate it in Christian movies and I hate in this Gnosticism movie. If I heard "knowledge" one more time... I mean, I get it. The movie was based influenced by the book of Thomas (I'll explain in the spoilers) which was a Gnostic Gospel. And they constantly pushed that philosophy over and over. As a Christian, I knew this movie wasn't for me but dialogue wise, it was like come on.

Love story: Real sucked. I mean no chemistry. Everytime the love interest came up, I eventually went to my phone.

I didn't want to see this movie because again I knew it would be anti-Christian. The whole Jesus making doves alive is straight from the book of Thomas which was written 140AD. Way after the Gospels were finished. When Jesus said " I am he who existed is undivided. Straight from the Gospel of THomas. Heck, even the Jesus in here doesn't even die or resurrection. I don't have a problem with the skeptism of Clarence, asking questions, not believing. But the gnosticism that was pushed in tihs film was too much for me. Even after the miracle, Clarence saying "I don't believe God exist. I KNOW. Now, some of the police brutality stuff was obvious to but I could ignore it.

Bottom line. I loved the artsty stuff, the acting, some comedy and some of the messaging. It's a good discussion film. However, the propaganda of Gnosticism was not for me. The irony is though, if the writer made a Christian film, this would have made major money. Got black churches involved with a Black Jesus. This would have been a major hit.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Just saw it. Overall good. Minor spoilers ahead. Major spoilers will be in tags. I'm going to give my thoughts as a movie fan as well as a Christian. First, let me give my conspiracy theory. I haven't seen any interviews, but I believe it's called the book of Clarence because of Clarence 13 X. Everybody knows Jay Z a Nation of Gods and Earth (5%ers). And who was its founder? Clarence 13 X. Who was Clarence in this movie? The 13th Apostle.

Positive: Overall good acting from everybody. There was nobody I was like "Why did they cast him or her". Even Teyana Taylor was straight and I don't like her acting.

Messaging: Obviously, the film maker used biblical time to relate to what's going on today. From the corruption of Christianity, police brutality. I think for the most part it works and should bring alot of discussions on social issues if people see it.

Artsy stuff: There were 2 biblical scenes that were shot so well. Having just watch "Poor THings" last week which was artsy. I really had feel on. Even though I knew the story, the way he recreated with an artsy feel was so dope.

Negative: Overboard with some messaging. I hate it in Christian movies and I hate in this Gnosticism movie. If I heard "knowledge" one more time... I mean, I get it. The movie was based influenced by the book of Thomas (I'll explain in the spoilers) which was a Gnostic Gospel. And they constantly pushed that philosophy over and over. As a Christian, I knew this movie wasn't for me but dialogue wise, it was like come on.

Love story: Real sucked. I mean no chemistry. Everytime the love interest came up, I eventually went to my phone.

I didn't want to see this movie because again I knew it would be anti-Christian. The whole Jesus making doves alive is straight from the book of Thomas which was written 140AD. Way after the Gospels were finished. When Jesus said " I am he who existed is undivided. Straight from the Gospel of THomas. Heck, even the Jesus in here doesn't even die or resurrection. I don't have a problem with the skeptism of Clarence, asking questions, not believing. But the gnosticism that was pushed in tihs film was too much for me. Even after the miracle, Clarence saying "I don't believe God exist. I KNOW. Now, some of the police brutality stuff was obvious to but I could ignore it.

Bottom line. I loved the artsty stuff, the acting, some comedy and some of the messaging. It's a good discussion film. However, the propaganda of Gnosticism was not for me. The irony is though, if the writer made a Christian film, this would have made major money. Got black churches involved with a Black Jesus. This would have been a major hit.
Excellent post

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
It wasn't as smart as it thought it was.

I'd give it a 3/5 which is a definite watch, but not really seeing any point in watching again.

Some good stuff, but the overall point didn't come together for me.

Specifically, the idea that facts are superior to blind faith gets lost, cause it turns out Clarence was wrong about his facts.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
that speech by Jebediah the Terrible to the Romans in the middle in the movie was everything :wow: :banderas: :umad:

I've looked for the full quote of his speech online all day to no avail :snoop:

that's the type of thing I'd like to put somewhere in the house so I can see it everyday

If one of y'all find it lemme know

please, thank you, and free rep

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just left the theater and wow I absolutely love this movie. I’m not even religious and the end had more of an impact that the passion of Chris

Sure it might not have made a shyt ton of money but it will definitely be a cult classic in the future

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Prime example of if cacs put out enough bad PR on your product it will deter people away from it.

If Mel Gibson did this same film there would be droves of people lined up to watch this film.
Because his movies are big box office smashes now, right? :dead:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Passion Of The Christ did 612 million.

His last movie he directed (Hacksaw Ridge) did 180 mill.
This nikka had to go back 2 entire decades...before the man even jumped out the window :dead:

I'm not wasting any more time with you :hubie:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
This nikka had to go back 2 entire decades...before the man even jumped out the window :dead:

I'm not wasting any more time with you :hubie:
Hacksaw Ridge was the last project he did. It still sold hella more than this movie.

Edit: I'm not tryin to prop dude up but I still stand by what I said you put enough bad PR on a product people aren't going to be bothered with it.

I still hope y'all go out to watch this movie, it's a good film.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
REALLY enjoyed this movie. I think my only real criticism is that at the end I would have liked a little more intersection between false Jesus, Real Jesus, and Clarence. Felt like there could have been something there story-wise that would have really made this film an all time classic.

As it stands i give it 8.5/10. Definitely a movie I will be owning and I can’t wait to see what James Samuel does next. The man is a genius