"‘The Book of Clarence": LaKeith Stanfield, RJ Cyler, Alfre Woodard, James McAvoy, Teyana Taylor, Benedict Cumberbatch & more (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
3.5/5 entertaining for sure. Movie fell apart in the third act imo.

I wouldn't say it “fell apart” i’d say that the ending simply doesn’t nail the landing, which makes the third act seem kind of all over the place.

I feel like I know what the director was TRYING to say but either the studio interfered or he felt like he needed to tame it down because if he would’ve just committed and went where I feel the film was trying to go it would have made for a stronger ending which would have made the film a classic

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I wouldn't say it “fell apart” i’d say that the ending simply doesn’t nail the landing, which makes the third act seem kind of all over the place.

I feel like I know what the director was TRYING to say but either the studio interfered or he felt like he needed to tame it down because if he would’ve just committed and went where I feel the film was trying to go it would have made for a stronger ending which would have made the film a classic
I definitely had them vibes as well.

Chimses

Mo' Better Brehs
Daps
I hope Jeymes Samuel is able to put another black histocial movie so a triple feature can be made. No need for anything modern in the next film.

Rj Cyler should definlty be the lead in the next film.

I love the movie from prodcution design , varieity of black hair and accents.

Favorite scene: the two lovers with their eyes glowing , any scene Rj Cyler , POV shots from the cruxifiation and falling of the chariot.

Funniest dialogue for me : "Allow me to stretch a bit Elijah" and "get out of here" "what do you think we were doing"

Only compliants: The false Jesus character needed to be better intertwined with Jesus and Clarence annd I taught the movie was going to be facter paced like the first 10-15 minutes.

A scene that stuck with me that I taught Jeymes did amazing job directing. It was the 70s close up shot James Mcavoy charater and Clarence character. James touching the water to see the sorcery then looks at clarence ....

James: I wouldn't have let you drown :mjpls:

James: but now I must crucify you:ufdup:

Clarence( barely comprehening whats going and shaking with fear) ::mjcry:

This is basically what a "black" film can be and also American ficition (2023) as well. Things are starting to look hopeful for black films.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I hope Jeymes Samuel is able to put another black histocial movie so a triple feature can be made. No need for anything modern in the next film.

Rj Cyler should definlty be the lead in the next film.

I love the movie from prodcution design , varieity of black hair and accents.

Favorite scene: the two lovers with their eyes glowing , any scene Rj Cyler , POV shots from the cruxifiation and falling of the chariot.

Funniest dialogue for me : "Allow me to stretch a bit Elijah" and "get out of here" "what do you think we were doing"

Only compliants: The false Jesus character needed to be better intertwined with Jesus and Clarence annd I taught the movie was going to be facter paced like the first 10-15 minutes.

A scene that stuck with me that I taught Jeymes did amazing job directing. It was the 70s close up shot James Mcavoy charater and Clarence character. James touching the water to see the sorcery then looks at clarence ....

James: I wouldn't have let you drown :mjpls:

James: but now I must crucify you:ufdup:

Clarence( barely comprehening whats going and shaking with fear) ::mjcry:

This is basically what a "black" film can be and also American ficition (2023) as well. Things are starting to look hopeful for black films.

Agree with everything

RJ Cryler should be a star

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I absolutely hated how they switched the roles to make the black guy the nerd when he was the cool one in the series. fukking bullshyt. fukk that movie

In that movie they made it that Billy was awkward and offbeat because he has autism.

While I get where you're coming from, I do think he nailed it.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
6/10, they fought the fair one with John the Baptist, that was funny.

That's Jesus's cousin, y'know :sas2::yes:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
In that movie they made it that Billy was awkward and offbeat because he has autism.

While I get where you're coming from, I do think he nailed it.
All them fools seem like they were on the spectrum in that movie. fukk that movie. Trash ass shyt