"‘The Book of Clarence": LaKeith Stanfield, RJ Cyler, Alfre Woodard, James McAvoy, Teyana Taylor, Benedict Cumberbatch & more (Discussion Thread)

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
You know 75% of the ending is on the cutting room floor….the only viable explanation
I wouldn't say it “fell apart” i’d say that the ending simply doesn’t nail the landing, which makes the third act seem kind of all over the place.

I feel like I know what the director was TRYING to say but either the studio interfered or he felt like he needed to tame it down because if he would’ve just committed and went where I feel the film was trying to go it would have made for a stronger ending which would have made the film a classic

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
Me and my gf just left the movies. It was good. I was entertained. I don’t get the ending but it was good movie. The movie was packed with a mix of people. Acting was superb.

it was meant to be ambiguous, but i don’t think it worked as well as it meant to imo…

in the two earlier scenes when a light bulb appears over clarence’s head, it’s when he has a “brilliant” idea…first time it was when him and elijah were at the hookah spot and he had the idea to become the 13th apostle…second time is when him, elijah, barabus, and another character are on the mountain and he decides to become the new messiah…

by the end of the movie clarence has experienced 3 miracles (walking on water, being raised from the dead, and the healing of the crucifixion holes in his hand)…

when he gets a “brilliant” idea at the end of the film, the viewer is left to wonder if he’s truly had a change of heart and will go out and spread the gospel or if he’ll use the fact that Jesus raised him from the dead to further his false prophet ministry for his own gain…

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
it was meant to be ambiguous, but i don’t think it worked as well as it meant to imo…

in the two earlier scenes when a light bulb appears over clarence’s head, it’s when he has a “brilliant” idea…first time it was when him and elijah were at the hookah spot and he had the idea to become the 13th apostle…second time is when him, elijah, barabus, and another character are on the mountain and he decides to become the new messiah…

by the end of the movie clarence has experienced 3 miracles (walking on water, being raised from the dead, and the healing of the crucifixion holes in his hand)…

when he gets a “brilliant” idea at the end of the film, the viewer is left to wonder if he’s truly had a change of heart and will go out and spread the gospel or if he’ll use the fact that Jesus raised him from the dead to further his false prophet ministry for his own gain…
why the romans crucify Benjamin

Born Rich

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
caught a late viewing of this last night…

honestly didn’t know how i felt off a first watch…

thought the score was dope and the acting was on point, but felt like the pacing, character motivations, and tone of the film was off…

like other brehs have said, felt like the dramatic beats were undercut by the comedic beats, so much so for me, that the dramatic beats didn’t really hit…there was no subtlety with some of the themes/messages and that kinda took me out as well…

my parents wanna see it so ima take em to an afternoon show in a couple hours, so i may have a different perspective on it after a second watch…

Born Rich

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
why the romans crucify Benjamin

was benjamin the white dude? if so i think it jeymes samuel’s way of showing that the white Jesus that so many of us venerate is just as much a false representation of the messiah as clarence was an actual false messiah in the film

Last edited:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It was a great movie. Not the best I agree with some that the ending didn’t stick the landing but the acting especially LaKeith Stanfield was Oscar-worthy, at least a nomination.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
watched it last night and liked it for the most part.

still felt like what could've been a potentially great movie kinda fell apart towards the end like some other posters have said.

the dialogue could've been done better with the main character, or maybe he wasn't the one for that role. loved the music except for the part where Jay Z came in rappin saying "nikka." just didn't fit at all. they should've used Big Rube. really would've liked to see what Organized Noize and Society of Soul could've added to the score.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I liked it. However, the one thing I do think is this feels a bit too ambitious for the director's inexperience. In terms of writing and directing.

You see the signs this could have been a masterpiece, but its not all the way cooked. Imagine Spike trying to make Malcolm X after She's Gotta Have It.
(Edit: I know some people feel Do The Right Thing is Spike's true masterpiece/best film. Still even that was his 3rd film.)
It just wouldnt hit the same. Vision not quite clear and the control of the pacing/tone not yet perfected.

Still good and Jemes is one of our most exciting directors.

Also love the music.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Smiley of the breh on the right @3Rivers

If the movie was Oscar caliber or was a box office hit this song would be getting strong push for a nomination.

Last edited:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Finally caught this tonight on Amazon, they didn’t play it in the theater, in my city.

I enjoyed it. Ending kinda fell flat for me tho. I thought American fiction was better over all.

I didn’t realize the girl who played star fire, in titans, was in this :noah:

She so fine.