The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
These white film reviewers are dumb af
I mean after cherry is raped she straight up cites scripture to nat to keep him from going off

Rape was not the reason he rebelled
The bias against this movie got them struck stupid not knowing how to do their jobs

Word, Cherry was the reason why Nat didn't seek retribution the first time. And Cherry once again was a key factor later in the movie.

Anyone saying that black women didn't have an impact in the plot either didn't see the movie or is lying.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
:mindblown:

They spent 17 million to bury the movie despite releasing it and giving it A LOT of promotion.

Burying it would mean the movie wasn't released. Read a book you illiterate son of a bytch, and step up your vocab.

In music and film to bury something is not to 'never release it' as you surmize (that would be to shelve it) to bury it is to release it inbetween other more prominent projects or projects more attractive to its target demographic. i.e. if the label puts your stupid mixtape in between lil wayne and jay-z LPs they've buried it. The same is true of timeslot. If your show is aired at 3am on tuesdays, its buried.

You have a singular understanding of terminology because you have an inexperienced worldview.
To infer bury in the base and mundane, as a florist buries a sapling root... but never consider that in entertainment media, news media, even wrestling... the same word holds different meaning, shows that you need to get out more.

Its fine to be wrong, but if you are to be so vehement about being wrong you might want to go back to third grade and learn homonyms first. :childplease:

And as for the 'go read a book' I do read books, thanks for inquiring...
I own a bookstore. :ahh:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
In music and film to bury something is not to 'never release it' as you surmize (that would be to shelve it) to bury it is to release it inbetween other more prominent projects or projects more attractive to its target demographic. i.e. if the label puts your stupid mixtape in between lil wayne and jay-z LPs they've buried it. The same is true of timeslot. If your show is aired at 3am on tuesdays, its buried.

You have a singular understanding of terminology because you have an inexperienced worldview.
To infer bury in the base and mundane, as a florist buries a sapling root... but never consider that in entertainment media, news media, even wrestling... the same word holds different meaning, shows that you need to get out more.

Its fine to be wrong, but if you are to be so vehement about being wrong you might want to go back to third grade and learn homonyms first. :childplease:

And as for the 'go read a book' I do read books, thanks for inquiring...
I own a bookstore. :ahh:
You typed all of this and have no idea what you talking about.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
:jbhmm:

We going to talk about the movie or we going to just keep talking about everything else surrounding it? I've yet to see one good post in here explaining why this film is great and the GOAT Slavery movie.

Movie was OK, but outside of 10 minutes or so it was a paint by numbers slave pic.

I don't see why people are treating this like it was some groundbreaking work in the genre. Maybe I watched a different movie than everybody else, but I didn't see the redemptive nature that people keep praising this movie for. If it focused more on the rebellion I could see that, but 90% of the movie followed the same tropes of every other slave film. Only this was a lot more brutal and uncomfortable to watch.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps

:dwillhuh: To this day, I have NO IDEA what Nate Parker's college rape case has to do with Black Women. How did controversy become specifically about Black Women?? Nate Parker has NEVER dissed or talked down on Black Women in any of his interviews or statements. It just comes off that they're really just mad about that his college accuser/Girlfriend & Wife are white.

Its that simple unfortunately. He married a white chick and raised daughters with her. Black feminists view that as validation for their own frustrations. They're not wanted and this is how they express their frustrations. Funny though 61 percent of those that saw the film were Black women. That said, its a certain segment of Black women taking issue with the film.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Its that simple unfortunately. He married a white chick and raised daughters with her. Black feminists view that as validation for their own frustrations. They're not wanted and this is how they express their frustrations. Funny though 61 percent of those that saw the film were Black women. That said, its a certain segment of Black women taking issue with the film.

People really need to stop living their lives based on what folks on the Internet say. For the most part the loudest people online typically tend to be the lowest common denominator of society, and are not an accurate depiction of reality. When I saw the film I was one of two men in the theater. The rest were black women that came in groups or brought their children.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Someone on Tariq's page posted this:

CuXJV_yUsAEOeSt.jpg

Again I liked "12 Years" but I broke down my problems with it. As for this box office comparison, First "Birth" hasn't opened internationally yet and had a larger OW than "12 Years". Next "Birth" cost way less to make and has already made it's budget back. I broke down every slave movie pages back. It's clear White Society will never support a Slavery movie that shows us fighting back. But we should of came out stronger even though I'm sure 90% of the 7 Million was black people male and female. This is why Nate shouldn't of apologized for sh!t. They were never going to support the film. How can "Birth" be a flop when it's an independent film? So the bias hollywood media is judging an Indy film based on Blockbuster standards, SMH.

This movie was for us and for other races who are open minded about knowing the truth. All the slaves movies they hyped up we accepted our bodage and a White Savior had to rescue us. This movie goes against all the programming we've had our entire lives because agian White Soceity has lied about our true history. This is what I mean about "White Standards". Don't worry about the box office for "Birth" (I broke down why it's a success and the bias hollywood media is using double standards to judge it). Oviously because Nate is black man and made a Black Liberation film they are doing a smear campaign on him. They have never held White oscar contenders to this standard. "Hurt Locker" flopped badly but nobody talk about it's box office before it was showered with Best Picture.

Just know that he got Nat's story on the Big Screen. All these people hating never even tried. There are some Hollywood Blacks (Yes I'm calling you out) that are full of sh!t. They had money and resournces to tell "REAL" Black Liberation stories for YEARS but they choose to do "White Savior" films. Tyler Perry has an entire studio but he rather wear a dress than telling meaningful histoical Black liberation stories. So what Nate did is inspire the real black filmmakers of the future to write, get that money, pick up that camera and just make the film. Like Nat Turner in real life, Nate sacificed his film career for the future of black filmmaking.

220px-HLposterUSA2.jpg

(Won 6 Academy Awards including Best Director and Picture, grossed 17 Million dollars at the Domestic Box Office)

Last edited:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nate should've made up a white character that showed Nat how to fight and use weapons.:mjpls:

You want your freedom boy, you got to fight for it. Like America did way back when:skip:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

:dwillhuh: To this day, I have NO IDEA what Nate Parker's college rape case has to do with Black Women. How did controversy become specifically about Black Women?? Nate Parker has NEVER dissed or talked down on Black Women in any of his interviews or statements. It just comes off that they're really just mad about that his college accuser/Girlfriend & Wife are white.

because a lot of black women are raped, sexually assaulted, and often go through the criminal justice process only to find their accuser walks free. The irony of making this post while watching all of that play out in Birth of a Nation is kind of astounding.

You all need to get out of this black man only worldview that Tariq Nasheed and other clowns cater too.

But lets also please stop talking about THAT, and just talk about the movie.
People really need to stop living their lives based on what folks on the Internet say. For the most part the loudest people online typically tend to be the lowest common denominator of society, and are not an accurate depiction of reality. When I saw the film I was one of two men in the theater. The rest were black women that came in groups or brought their children.
and this is the other thing. A LOT OF BLACK WOMEN ARE SUPPORTING THIS FILM.

Me and my GF saw it and she liked and encouraged others to watch it, even though she also thinks Nate Parker is a fukk boy.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

(Starts talking about the film at 1:12:00)

Facts. Black people still falling for old tricks and wonder why we are where we are. Breaks down why "Birth of a Nation" is better than "12 years a slave" and "Django". Also talks about the "White Savoir" Complex that has ruined Slavery flims. Tariq also went in on the double standards about Box Office with White Films. He went in on this show and exposed Hollywood's clear agenda against "Birth of a Nation".

Last edited: