The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Per a Fox rep, they were shooting for $7-8 million opening week and consider a $25-$30 million lifetime gross a solid performance.

'Birth of a Nation' meets box office expectations, but Oscar glory looks slim

'Birth of a Nation' meets box office expectations, but Oscar glory looks slim

While no break-even point makes a film “a success,” Rodriguez said, a total of $25 million to $30 million would “ensure” a solid performance of “Birth.” Rodriguez thinks the studio is “within reach” of that, taking into account the film’s international rollout potential and home-entertainment options.

Controversy aside, Dergarabedian said, “What the studio has to hope is that the conversation moves to the movie itself,” he said.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:dwillhuh: To this day, I have NO IDEA what Nate Parker's college rape case has to do with Black Women. How did controversy become specifically about Black Women?? Nate Parker has NEVER dissed or talked down on Black Women in any of his interviews or statements. It just comes off that they're really just mad about that his college accuser/Girlfriend & Wife are white.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Sadly, there were only 9 people in the theater at a 8 o clock showing on Friday (yeah, I counted). Two of us were an older black couple that ended up leaving in the middle during a torture scene. shyt made me sad to see so little support for what should be such an important movie.

Nah, they'd rather go see a man dress as a woman and tell corny jokes...again.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, they'd rather go see a man dress as a woman and tell corny jokes...again.

Sadly true. Like homie above said, the conversation in this film within the black community really just masked an excuse to not fukk with him because he's married to a white woman.

I wonder if those folks understand that self-hatred manifests itself in many ways.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just got out the movie...

The scene where Nat steps into the light and finally unleashes divine justice upon Samuel is the greatest scene I've viewed this year. The entire first sequence of the slave uprising was brilliantly shot, sequenced, and acted. The music rising slowly in triumph as Samuel bleeds out and Nat watches him is absolutely fantastic. This movie is what Django Unchained could NEVER be. This movie is what every young black man and woman should be experiencing. There was a poster, @miranda i think, who in another thread stated that black men haven't fought for black women the last 400 years. This movie is the PERFECT rebuttal to such a ludicrous statement. Nate Parker, through the Nat Turner character, channeled the black man's love, respect, and cherishment of the black woman through and through. His love for his wife, and the love of other slave husbands depicted in the film, was as pure as the chivalry the Knights of the Roundtable showed the ladies at court. There was such a tenderness and devotion to the Nat/Cherry relationship that it almost brought tears to my eyes. Cherry's rape was NOT the catalyst that drove Nat Turner to rebellion, and the movie never in any way, shape or form attempts to suggest such; rather the brutality she suffered was a testament to the reality that Nat had already awoken too. God wasn't going to punish the men who comitted such an atrocity, God wasn't going to set black people free. God has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. It was Nat's faith in the ability that HE could make a change, through both Scripture and Sword. Through both Sermon and Fire. That would lead to salvation. God didn't choose Nat Turner.

Nat Turner chose himself.

This is without a doubt the best movie of 2016. This is without a doubt a triumph of storytelling. I once said, right here on this site that a Black man who is married to a white woman could never truly be down for the cause, I've often challenged that a black man who would willingly lay with a white woman is willfully ignoring his history and that of the gross mistreatment of the black race by white supremacy within this country.

In this particular instance, I was wrong.

Nate Parker, whether married to a white woman or not, completely and totally understands what black men and women need to know. And that is that we are stronger together than we are apart. Nate's version of Nat Turner wasn't completely a man until he experienced the love and devotion of a black woman. Until he experienced the brotherhood of his fellow male slaves. Until he experienced the responsibility of rearing black children. All of these experiences helped him walk the path of a hero. I would argue that it was the shared comradery of his people, as he preached to them in various stages of bondage and suffering, more than the violence of slavery itself, that spurred Nat Turner to action. He loved black people, HIS people' and that love went above religion and captivity.

Thank you Nate Parker.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
6dfd83ca-deff-407d-9063-d1a64bc7430a.file

Roman is a Legendary Director and filmmaker but that doesn't erase what he did. He was given the Oscar for Best Director while being a fugative for Child Rape of a minor. The Oscar he got was for making a historical film that also wasn't 100% accurate called "The Pianist" and didn't apologize for rape for over 3 decades. (Woody Allen still gets Oscars and nominations as well)

:sas2:

But Nate was innocent and has to apologize and they are trying to derail his Oscars. This is why Black People need to stop hyping up and pumping up the Oscars. Yes we should be given our just due for our great artistic achievements but it's clear the game is rigged and their racial bias is beyond obvious at this point. There is no purpose to scream "OscarssoWhite". They already told us many times our stories, our writers, our directors and our performances don't matter to them. A Black Person has never won 'Best Director" in Oscar History when other races have. Why do you think that is? "Birth of a Nation" should be nominated mutiple times but I will not expect it. If it happens, it happens. Nate got my MVP award though. Denzel is going to give them an out this year.

CuXLG8YVMAA_qAF.jpg

My talking points spreading? Get em.

giphy.gif

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
These white film reviewers are dumb af
I mean after cherry is raped she straight up cites scripture to nat to keep him from going off

Rape was not the reason he rebelled
The bias against this movie got them struck stupid not knowing how to do their jobs