The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
@Ziggiy dropping the fire :salute:

In the course of time Moses grew up. Then he went to see his own people and watched them suffering under forced labor. He saw a Hebrew, one of his own people, being beaten by an Egyptian. He looked all around, and when he didn’t see anyone, he beat the Egyptian to death and hid the body in the sand.

-Exodus 2:11-12
The legacy of the American slave has been polluted by those who are ashamed, afraid, and reviled by its repulsiveness. The fact that the world’s greatest country was built off white supremacy is an ugly, festering wound that continues to tarnish every single achievement of the nation. As time has gone on, and those who practice white supremacy have become more nuanced, so too has the language surrounding the discussion of slavery in mainstream circles. For decades there was a widely held notion that Abraham Lincoln was the shining white abolitionist savior, who ended slavery out of the goodness of his own heart and lifted the white man’s burden of cruelty and oppression with one stroke of a pen. Then there was the Roots miniseries, which took pains to portray white sympathizers throughout, who assisted and helped the slaves achieve freedom.

To read more check out the link below

THE SWORD AND THE SERMON (The Birth Of A Nation Review – FTESWL
THE SWORD AND THE SERMON (The Birth Of A Nation Review

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
loved the movie -- my thoughts

we talk about phony Christians, but Nat thought he was doing God's work. When he dipped the white dude, it was a wrap for everyone. I think that was the turning point for him. He was identified for greatness since he was little, which gave the movie that supernatural feel. When they whipped him out for baptizing white buddy, that was the driving catalyst. When he was getting hung and he looked up and saw that angel to take him home, i teared up a lil bit. Almost like a validation by God of everything that he'd done.

1 - I didn't understand the scene when he was standing in the woods w young Nat in blue or grey and grown Nat in white - what did that signify?

2 - When they met resistance at that plantation, was it slaves shooting at them? It looked like it to me...

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
loved the movie -- my thoughts

we talk about phony Christians, but Nat thought he was doing God's work. When he dipped the white dude, it was a wrap for everyone. I think that was the turning point for him. He was identified for greatness since he was little, which gave the movie that supernatural feel. When they whipped him out for baptizing white buddy, that was the driving catalyst. When he was getting hung and he looked up and saw that angel to take him home, i teared up a lil bit. Almost like a validation by God of everything that he'd done.

1 - I didn't understand the scene when he was standing in the woods w young Nat in blue or grey and grown Nat in white - what did that signify?

2 - When they met resistance at that plantation, was it slaves shooting at them? It looked like it to me...

1. I interpeted The Woods scene as symbolism of him being called to fight back spiritually. It's basically a running dream sequence throughout the film. The young boy is Nat as kid running seaching for something in the woods. The boy version of himself represents the fear he has (This is why he threw up after killing his master, he really wasn't a killer) and when he finds his older self (Nate with the body paint kneeling on the ground) he finds his warrior spirit. It also represented African tribal tradition. The White men in the white cloaks represented the slave masters. When Nat stands up, he's finally the warrior who's no longer afriad which is why the little boy (Fear) is now behind him and he's in front.

2. The little boy sold out to his master because he scared as sh!t after seeing them cut heads off and yes it was white and house blacks shooting back at them.

union3f-3-web.jpg

Nate gave a masterclass on our complicated relationship with Christianity and religious indoctranation.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Just saw a complaint that he showed slaves being lynched but didn't actually show any white people being killed. Is this true? :jbhmm:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Just saw a complaint that he showed slaves being lynched but didn't actually show any white people being killed. Is this true? :jbhmm:
Nah he showed them being killed, they just cut the scenes where you can see them being slaughtered, and there's little to no actual gore when he did it.

BTW I liked it, I give it a B

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Nah he showed them being killed, they just cut the scenes where you can see them being slaughtered, and there's little to no actual gore when he did it.

BTW I liked it, I give it a B
What's the difference between killed and slaughtered here

And are the slaves treated the same way?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
What's the difference between killed and slaughtered here

And are the slaves treated the same way?
Well, I didn't mean it that way...when the slaves rebelled, you could tell that they were killing whites but they didn't show the actual bloodbath in most of it.

They did the same with the rape scenes (and that's not something to enjoy seeing), but I think removing those scenes takes away from having a real experience of the brutality that slaves were exposed to in those days. I think 12 Years a Slave for example did a great job of capturing that sort of thing.

It came off a little PG-13ish in that way.