The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
brehs, a lot of reviewers are saying this film is based aronund Turner's wife getting raped, is this true? How did you guys like the film?
Honestly, the movie portrayed the spark of the rebellion as a culmination of things Nat Turner seen and experienced as a slave more than just one specific event.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
brehs, a lot of reviewers are saying this film is based aronund Turner's wife getting raped, is this true? How did you guys like the film?

It pissed me off when some of those reviewers said that, because like others have said, not only was there a culmination of events, but that scene wasn't even what preceded the revolt.

It was actually when he baptized a white man and got lynched for it.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It pissed me off when some of those reviewers said that, because like others have said, not only was there a culmination of events, but that scene wasn't even what preceded the revolt.

It was actually when he baptized a white man and got lynched for it.

There was a scene after that though:

His Grandmother dying

If you want to say one scene that made it official he was going to turn up, it was that. But I was shaking my head of some Black Woman and white writers writing "Nate wrote a fake rape into the story to start the rebellion". I mean why make up lies to push an agenda? Just say you dislike Parker and keep it moving. People are actually doing movie reviews about a person and not the film, it's beyond bias. Mind you he didn't even show the wife rape it in the film. The Wife scene was obviously homage to Emmitt Till, I see you Nate. That's another thing, Nate did an amazing job making illusions and not showing the brutality. You felt it by the way he edited scenes and shown the aftermath. Like one example:

When Nat and Master Turner were going on Plantation Bible Tours on the horse carriage they saw a Runaway Slave with his brains blown out dead on the side of the road. We didn't need to see the Slave Patrols killing him point blank to understand what happen to him. Just his body with a hole in his head was enough for you to understand the horror of the situation

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I think a lot of people still aren't grasping my point

I KNOW the rhetoric is bullshyt. I KNOW the white media is trying to fukk him over. I KNOW the oscars aren't giving two fukks about us. That was never the point

The point is this movie needs to be mainstream. FOR US. More black people need to be out here supporting this. More black people need to know this movie exists. More black children need to watch this instead of other bullshyt slave movies. More black directors need to know they can be successful making this type of movie.

It's not about what you want, it's about what is

We want Parker to not be asked about his past. But what happened was different. And he was faced with a choice:

A. You accept fox and oprahs help. In turn they will continue to pour in money for advertising and more screen showings and use their pull to get some of these publications in line. They get you nominations (which are bought).. Therefore getting your movie out there to blacks and showing the world that these movies can have success without pandering to white audiences

Or

B. Say fukk fox and oprah. Get all funding, advertising and help lost. Get shoved in the back corner of the basement. And have them both use that same power to destroy you.

I don't care if it won an oscar or 1 white person saw it. Black people needed to see it and see it be successful.

Instead we about to get madea 736283 and watch that c00ning ass shyt blow this out the water while this movie gets forgotten by New Years

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think a lot of people still aren't grasping my point

I KNOW the rhetoric is bullshyt. I KNOW the white media is trying to fukk him over. I KNOW the oscars aren't giving two fukks about us. That was never the point

The point is this movie needs to be mainstream. FOR US. More black people need to be out here supporting this. More black people need to know this movie exists. More black children need to watch this instead of other bullshyt slave movies. More black directors need to know they can be successful making this type of movie.

It's not about what you want, it's about what is

We want Parker to not be asked about his past. But what happened was different. And he was faced with a choice:

A. You accept fox and oprahs help. In turn they will continue to pour in money for advertising and more screen showings and use their pull to get some of these publications in line. They get you nominations (which are bought).. Therefore getting your movie out there to blacks and showing the world that these movies can have success without pandering to white audiences

Or

B. Say fukk fox and oprah. Get all funding, advertising and help lost. Get shoved in the back corner of the basement. And have them both use that same power to destroy you.

I don't care if it won an oscar or 1 white person saw it. Black people needed to see it and see it be successful.

Instead we about to get madea 736283 and watch that c00ning ass shyt blow this out the water while this movie gets forgotten by New Years
It's very annoying and discouraging to see my people act like that. They say they're tired of slave movies, don't feel like getting mad, don't have time to see it, etc. I wonder how much money that new Kevin Hart stand up is gonna make

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
It's very annoying and discouraging to see my people act like that. They say they're tired of slave movies, don't feel like getting mad, don't have time to see it, etc. I wonder how much money that new Kevin Hart stand up is gonna make

And how many people in this very thread went to see the OUTSTANDING Queen of Katwe, pray tell?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
http://cdn1-www.comingsoon.net/asse...er.com/news/weekend-box-office-birth-a-936636

"Birth of a Nation Falters"

:mjlol:

Major Hollywood magazine joining in on the smear campaign. I've never seen an Oscar movie of the past Box Office disected like this. If it was all about box office than Transformers should of won 10 Oscars, LOL. Nate bet 7 Million and it made that OW. Plus lets not act like the biggest hurricane of the year just didn't happen on the Eastcoast. So just so were clear "Girl on a Train" had a 45 Million budget and made 24 Million but that's not a flop. "Birth" had a 7 Million budget and made 7 Millon and that's a "Flop"? How can anyone not see this bias is beyond me. These dudes think they can lie about box office and people with the knowledge don't see the bias, SMH.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
In the theater now. Was gonna wait until Wednesday but fukk it. The theater is directly across from my job and they had a 4:30 showing. First movie I'm seeing dolo in about 17 years.

So far there are a few young black couples and a few older black couples in attendance. Hoping more come in closer to showtime

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw the movie Friday night. Thought it was great. The "rape made him do it" narrative is insane, since they actually go out of their way to NOT say that his wife was raped, and there are several other events that lead up to it, including one that you can say is a DIRECT cause.

The movie ended up moving the woman I took with me to tears. Like, me asking if she's OK during the drive home level of crying.

Sadly, there were only 9 people in the theater at a 8 o clock showing on Friday (yeah, I counted). Two of us were an older black couple that ended up leaving in the middle during a torture scene. shyt made me sad to see so little support for what should be such an important movie.