The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
The way the industry is out to destroy this movie is something else though

This movie's hopes all relied on Nate Parker though he's the star and director and writer. He had to play ball and the fact that this movie is so unlike all the other slave movies where you had an obvious white savior or good YT character to project onto. Nate didn't give them that, all they had was the one prejudiced white lady who taught him how to read but was clearly Racist as AF

Last time I saw someone claim an oscar season movie was a flop was never... these movies are made for prestige awards they don't cost 100 of millions of dollars to make so the articles talking about flops seems very focused on presenting a negative slant to the movie

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

This movie's hopes all relied on Nate Parker though he's the star and director and writer. He had to play ball and the fact that this movie is so unlike all the other slave movies where you had an obvious white savior or good YT character to project onto. Nate didn't give them that, all they had was the one prejudiced white lady who taught him how to read but was clearly Racist as AF

Last time I saw someone claim an oscar season movie was a flop was never... these movies are made for prestige awards they don't cost 100 of millions of dollars to make so the articles talking about flops seems very focused on presenting a negative slant to the movie
What does YT mean?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

What's sad is Black People are jumping in on the Agenda and don't even see how they are being used. Nate touched on this in the movie, it's wild how this movie hit on symbolism of everything we still face today. Slavery still affects our mental 400 years later to the point it's even on a subconsious level. White writers in publications like Vareity are saying this is a "Flop" or "Underperforming" but "Birdman" and tons of White Oscar films did not break the box office.

Look they know Nate just made agruable the best movie of the year and they are doing anything and everything to stop it's Oscars. Yes this is about Racism, Yes this is about Bias. As I said in this thread, nobody is Re-ligiated Mark Walhberg Racist attacks or Woody Allen sleeping with his step daughter. This film is the first Slave Flim in History that showed Black People freeing themselves and had zero White Saviors in it. This go against everything White People have programmed into us for hundreds of years.

This is why they can't have this film in the spotlight because the last thing White Society wants is Black People feeling liberated and wanting to do for self. "Birth of a Nation" RT score should be in the 90's easily but it lost about 10 points because they are punishing Nate for being deemed innocent. Also these racist reviews on IMBD and other sites are proof whites don't want Blacks to see themselves freed without White assitance. Nate Parker even said a Black director told him to do a story on John Brown instead of Nat Turner. The brainwashing is deep folks. Nate killed it on so many levels you can tell this was his dream project. He truly was able to accomplished what no Black or White writer and director has ever been able to do when it comes to slavery films. White people loves movies like "The Bulter", "The Blind Side" or "The Help" because it shows us needing them. "Birth of a Nations" shows us again fighting and freeing ourselves from bodage.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's sad is Black People are jumping in on the Agenda and don't even see how they are being used. Nate touched on this in the movie, it's wild how this movie hit on symbolism of everything we still face today. Slavery still affects our mental 400 years later to the point it's even on a subconsious level. White writers in publications like Vareity are saying this is a "Flop" or "Underperforming" but "Birdman" and tons of White Oscar films did not break the box office.

Look they know Nate just made agruable the best movie of the year and they are doing anything and everything to stop it's Oscars. Yes this is about Racism, Yes this is about Bias. As I said in this thread, nobody is Re-ligiated Mark Walhberg Racist attacks or Woody Allen sleeping with his step daughter. This film is the first Slave Flim in History that showed Black People freeing themselves and had zero White Saviors in it. This go against everything White People have programmed into us for hundreds of years.

This is why they can't have this film in the spotlight because the last thing White Society wants is Black People feeling liberated and wanting to do for self. "Birth of a Nation" RT score should be in the 90's easily but it lost about 10 points because they are punishing Nate for being deemed innocent. Also these racist reviews on IMBD and other sites are proof whites don't want Blacks to see themselves freed without White assitance. Nate Parker even said a Black director told him to do a story on John Brown instead of Nat Turner. The brainwashing is deep folks.

Black women are celebrating its flop: Birth of a Nation Flops

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

I get the gist of what you are saying, but it needs to be said: a lot of black women are supporting this film. The LSA folks who are railing on the film do not represent all black women.

My theater had a lot of black women watching it. They were the liveliest ones in the theater, especially towards the end of the film.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
6dfd83ca-deff-407d-9063-d1a64bc7430a.file

Roman is a Legendary Director and filmmaker but that doesn't erase what he did. He was given the Oscar for Best Director while being a fugative for Child Rape of a minor. The Oscar he got was for making a historical film that also wasn't 100% accurate called "The Pianist" and didn't apologize for rape for over 3 decades. (Woody Allen still gets Oscars and nominations as well)

:sas2:

But Nate was innocent and has to apologize and they are trying to derail his Oscars. This is why Black People need to stop hyping up and pumping up the Oscars. Yes we should be given our just due for our great artistic achievements but it's clear the game is rigged and their racial bias is beyond obvious at this point. There is no purpose to scream "OscarssoWhite". They already told us many times our stories, our writers, our directors and our performances don't matter to them. A Black Person has never won 'Best Director" in Oscar History when other races have. Why do you think that is? "Birth of a Nation" should be nominated mutiple times but I will not expect it. If it happens, it happens. Nate got my MVP award though. Denzel is going to give them an out this year.

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm:

We going to talk about the movie or we going to just keep talking about everything else surrounding it? I've yet to see one good post in here explaining why this film is great and the GOAT Slavery movie.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

We going to talk about the movie or we going to just keep talking about everything else surrounding it? I've yet to see one good post in here explaining why this film is great and the GOAT Slavery movie.

The events surrounding the movie is just as important.

I get the gist of what you are saying, but it needs to be said: a lot of black women are supporting this film. The LSA folks who are railing on the film do not represent all black women.

My theater had a lot of black women watching it. They were the liveliest ones in the theater, especially towards the end of the film.

I honestly don't believe that. But hey if you want to live off false hope then by all means.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

It is the GOAT Slave Movie, IMO. "Roots" had the most impact for sure but that was a television miniseries and not a film (A spin off named "Queen" was made with Halle Berry as well). Plus there were difference aspects of the "White Savoir" plot device being used all through it. Let's look at the other films that deal with American Slavery:

Birth of a Nation 1915 - Do I need to explain why this wasn't the GOAT Slavery movie? Espeically with White Actors in Black face and the many lies and stereotypes in it.

Gone with the Wind - Full of stereotypes and white saviors everywhere. Created the historic "Mammy" stereotype.

Adventures of Huckle Berry Finn - Well we all know about his Big Black Friend - Gentle Black Giant/Magic Negro sterotype.

Mandingo - More Stereotypes and helped to over sexualized Black Men as sex craze muscle monsters with big penis sizes as well as the fear of Black men having sex with white women.

Jefferison in Paris - Talks about the Raping and relationship with Thomas Jefferson and his black slave Sally Hemming which Jefferson family denided for 100's of years before DNA proved them wrong. Because Slave Masters didn't rape slaves right?, lol.

Legend of ****** Charley - This was Django before Django about 3 black slave cowboys on the move and attack but it's blaxplotation so sadly it dealt with a few stereotypes.

Lincoln - Spielberg focused on the Legal battle over slavery during Lincoln's last days, it just didn't focus on Black people very much because it was Lincoln.

Amistad - Spielberg did good showing the slave ship rebellion in the first arc but the movie turned it into a White Savior legal drama after it.

Django - Modern Day Blaxpolation film, Used A White Savoir the entire film. The Hero didn't even kill the Slave Master who captured and tortured his wife. To add insult ot injury, No black actor was nominated and only White people (QT and Christopher) got awards. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. Definitely not the GOAT Slave movie when the Hero didn't even kill the villian of the film.

12 Years a Slave - Solid, very powerful film only hurt by the last 15 minutes when they shoe in Brad Pitt to save the day. Not to mentioned using Brad Pitt's face on international marketing even though he's only in the movie for about 3 minutes.

All of these movies have the same M.O. Stereotypes, Slavery viewed from non black people's point of view, Waterdown stories, Making Whites look good and of course White Savoirs. "Birth of a Nation" had none of that, and you are able to get into the themes and psychology of slavery and Black People didn't have to wait for someone to help them in it. A majority of Slavery movies only show us as Victims or needing the White Man's hand to get out of it. Nate Parker turned that entired dichotemy on it's head with this film.

tumblr_o5st1vo96y1r04r78o4_r1_500.gif

GOAT!

Last edited:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps

These people are disgusting, they have their head so far up their own ass. This is the type of shyt black peoples do, the jealousy and hate to see others succeed has created an unrealistic expectation on the people they will support.

You have to be an amazing talent and damn near perfect personality to get support from some black people.

We also can't separate the talent from the person, racist white people are sitting back laughing while these type of women do their job for them

Supreme HD

Superstar
Daps
Between this film, Underground, upcoming Black Panther and even my short POND, I'm optimistic about where Black filmmakers are going in the next decade. I see people loving Ava Duvernay's stuff. You got Issa Rae doing her thing. Real talk, Black cinema is about to get interesting as a muhfukka.

And SirBiatch will hopefully be right there to experience it :myman:
Your music opinions are absolutely terrible but since you are a black man I'll support your shyt. Keep me updated!!

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I honestly don't believe that. But hey if you want to live off false hope then by all means.

From Deadline:

"One rival female studio executive told Deadline, “It’s very hard to watch this film as a woman,” and yet Birth of a Nation showed a majority of females attending at 61%, and awarding the title an A."

The ladies are out there supporting and approving the film.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Someone sent me a message asking about what I thought of the Little Black boy in the movie:

I wasn't mad at him from snitching, he was young and scared. Nat had them dudes chopping heads off, a little kid wasn't ready for all that. Nat should of never included him. I loved the ending because it showed Nat Turner silently forgave him before he was hanged just by looking at him and the little boy started to cry because he knew he messed up. It lead to him joining the North and fighting in the Civil War. Though it was sad they got Nat, that was a nice symbolic touch with the little boy.

Birth-Nation-revolt.jpg

30ACA22E00000578-3421397-Contemporary_depiction_This_was_how_a_woodcut_of_the_time_depict-m-35_1454013268255.jpg