The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Hmm, after reading this particular viewpoint, yeah maybe they're onto something, but it still doesn't completely invalidate the movie. It just makes it flawed and problematic. Since when do we stop viewing movies just because of that?
:ehh:
Yea all the historical movies that have come out over the years and this is the one people pick apart...

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
STFU! I've given him my $9.50, I've told people in real life and on this board to support this movie. It doesn't erase that he had sex with someone who was too drunk to consent. I'm not blogging, Twittering or FBing that he should be ashamed of himself. I'm not even ranting about it here. I'm responding to what people are saying on a fukking message board. And I'm not obligated to just agree when people say stupid shyt about the nature of consent. But at the end of the day, Nate Parker doesn't need my approval of this incident to move on with his life because I don't interact or affect Nate Parker.
I thought you were the guy I originally quoted so that comment wasn't for you. However I think it's important to not let this overshadow the movie. Which too many people are doing and in a movie review thread this should not be talked about. Create another thread and talk about this

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
To be honest, I forgot Gabrielle was in this movie. I don't even know who she was (perhaps because she didn't speak, or maybe because she didn't have her hair straightened and out) But if you read my review, you'll notice I said that the slaves (plural) each had their own personalities and quirks. I'm sure there were mute slaves, but what struck me about this movie was that they weren't all like that, that it was one portrayal against many others.
I feel thats the point tho.

Also, the women in the movie were quite different from what happened in real life. Nat's mom tried to kill him before birth, for instance because she didnt want him to go through slavery.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I feel thats the point tho.

Also, the women in the movie were quite different from what happened in real life. Nat's mom tried to kill him before birth, for instance because she didnt want him to go through slavery.

To be fair though, the movie starts when Nat is like 12 years old. I do think it could have been more historically accurate to the original source material. I'm not sure why Nate felt the need to add/change so much. As a film though, it worked for me. I've never been a person who gets miffed about historical films that change stuff, which is kinda funny because when directors/writers change things based on fictional books, I get annoyed. I guess I just feel like if this gets people to read the source material for better accuracy, that's a win.

Daps
i was on the wall about seeing this cause i hate seeing my people beat down by cacs and turn the other cheek for 2 hours and although this is sort of different considering the brothers took up arms against evil i would have preferred more little known but much more epic slave rebellion stories such as Haitian Revolution, Seminole Wars and Zanj Revolt,etc adapted to film but being pro black and the fact I supported Django Unchained i feel almost obligated to give this a chance and plan to go to a showing in about an hour and maybe sneak into another movie just to make my money worth it

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
nat turner, when the man had us on the back burner, facts further state he led the greatest revolution that mans ever heard of, but then he got murdered:mjcry:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
To be fair though, the movie starts when Nat is like 12 years old.
i thought he was younger in the opening scene? But the point is more that she was not just along for the ride of slavery, and accepting like the movie depicted.
As a film though, it worked for me. I've never been a person who gets miffed about historical films that change stuff, which is kinda funny because when directors/writers change things based on fictional books, I get annoyed. I guess I just feel like if this gets people to read the source material for better accuracy, that's a win.
i normally dont care about stuff like changes, and I dont much in this movie.

But using a fictional rape as the catalyst for his wanting to seek change wasnt a good look. Especially since he knows his past.

At times, it felt like a black man super hero movie.

I strongly disagree with you about this being better than 12 Years a Slave, but I dig actually having a real dialogue with you. :salute:
Good movie... Left feeling like I want to do some revolutionary shyt.....No matter the odds.

...And fukk that little rusty lipped c00n that snitched to massa :pacspit:
FYI, that didnt actually happen.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Alot of people won't like it because it's a film and not a snuff party. Lots of fine points and cinematography, but you could tell that it wasn't as ambitious as it wanted to be (budget). Alot of parts would have worked better without the music score too

People have complained about one dimensional female characters, but his mother and grandmother gave as much as was needed to the film. It was a personal journey for Nat, and they played their parts

It's not too much about a rebellion like I wanted, but I liked what he presented instead. The film worked for me because it felt like a real instance of someone just reaching a breaking point after alot of build-up.

Overall, I give it a 7.5/10 (8/10 without most of the cheesy music)

Whoever talking about the female character are full of shyt.

His Grandmother, Mother, and Wife had plenty of lines.

These black feminist that are working for white feminist are probably mad they showed real bedwench. :sas1:

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good movie... Left feeling like I want to do some revolutionary shyt.....No matter the odds.

...And fukk that little rusty lipped c00n that snitched to massa :pacspit:

But he became a real nikka as an adult and fought for the Union army tho :manny: