The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I was low key expecting you to shyt on it :ohhh:

Is it lit :mjcry:Edit: Some of the reviews said the women had no voices. Just there. Why did you feel that way, but others didn't :jbhmm:

The Nation's review was definitely biased because the things that journalist spoke of didn't quite happen the way she said they did. There were many women in this film, and at least three of them had prominent voices, roles, and impact on Nat's development in this film. In fact, I think if you did a line by line count, the women spoke more than any of the men besides Nat. So I really don't get that criticism. Sounds like propaganda to me, and I'm a feminist.

Another point I'd like to make that the author of that review failed to grasp is that at the end of the day, Nat Turner was still a preacher. He was a true believer in the King James' Christian Bible and it's doctrine. It's a patriarchal story. Any story told from Turner's point of view would not have featured overly empowered women both because of the time period, and because of Turner's perspective. That being said, the women in his life, his grandmother, mother, and wife, were all depicted as smart, savvy, and insightful. So yeah, I really think that review was full of shyt.

how many lines did Gabrielle Union have?

To be honest, I forgot Gabrielle was in this movie. I don't even know who she was (perhaps because she didn't speak, or maybe because she didn't have her hair straightened and out) But if you read my review, you'll notice I said that the slaves (plural) each had their own personalities and quirks. I'm sure there were mute slaves, but what struck me about this movie was that they weren't all like that, that it was one portrayal against many others.

You do know that you could just as easily be accused of rape right?

You make it seem like there had to be any type of prerequisites to be accused of something.

If a chick wanted to press charges on you right now she could and even if you beat the case there would be people like you saying you were guilty anyway.

You see why your point of view is fukking retarded?

What Nate did was wrong. You don't join in trains on someone who is passed out. That's rape.

Am I? She was actually mute and a one dimensional stereotype.

That's cool, but that flies against what @NobodyReally said.

In the context of the other slave characters, it seemed like it would come across as less of a stereotype and more like a personality/situational depiction. But I'd have to see it again to even find Gabrielle because I really wasn't checking for her.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
The Nation's review was definitely biased because the things that journalist spoke of didn't quite happen the way she said they did. There were many women in this film, and at least three of them had prominent voices, roles, and impact on Nat's development in this film. In fact, I think if you did a line by line count, the women spoke more than any of the men besides Nat. So I really don't get that criticism. Sounds like propaganda to me, and I'm a feminist.

Another point I'd like to make that the author of that review failed to grasp is that at the end of the day, Nat Turner was still a preacher. He was a true believer in the King James' Christian Bible and it's doctrine. It's a patriarchal story. Any story told from Turner's point of view would not have featured overly empowered women both because of the time period, and because of Turner's perspective. That being said, the women in his life, his grandmother, mother, and wife, were all depicted as smart, savvy, and insightful. So yeah, I really think that review was full of shyt.

To be honest, I forgot Gabrielle was in this movie. I don't even know who she was (perhaps because she didn't speak, or maybe because she didn't have her hair straightened and out) But if you read my review, you'll notice I said that the slaves (plural) each had their own personalities and quirks. I'm sure there were mute slaves, but what struck me about this movie was that they weren't all like that, that it was one portrayal against many others.

What Nate did was wrong. You don't join in trains on someone who is passed out. That's rape.

In the context of the other slave characters, it seemed like it would come across as less of a stereotype and more like a personality/situational depiction. But I'd have to see it again to even find Gabrielle because I really wasn't checking for her.
You are ridiculous, you are treating this man like he went out that night to force sex on that girl if that's what really happened it sounds like a typical college party or situation where this chick was in her experiment phase and was down for this and a bunch of young dudes took advantage of the situation. It doesn't sound like he forced this girl to have sex against her will and threatened her or physically held her down. Sounds like he wasn't intentionally doing anything wrong while that technically could be against her consent if she was completely out of it. It's not something we should be shaming him over 20 years later. That's unfair and he was found not guilty so let this man get on with his life and lets celebrate the bigger picture which is this historic movie

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
You are ridiculous, you are treating this man like he went out that night to force sex on that girl if that's what really happened it sounds like a typical college party or situation where this chick was in her experiment phase and was down for this and a bunch of young dudes took advantage of the situation. It doesn't sound like he forced this girl to have sex against her will and threatened her or physically held her down. Sounds like he wasn't intentionally doing anything wrong while that technically could be against her consent if she was completely out of it. It's not something we should be shaming him over 20 years later. That's unfair and he was found not guilty so let this man get on with his life and lets celebrate the bigger picture which is this historic movie

STFU! I've given him my $9.50, I've told people in real life and on this board to support this movie. It doesn't erase that he had sex with someone who was too drunk to consent. I'm not blogging, Twittering or FBing that he should be ashamed of himself. I'm not even ranting about it here. I'm responding to what people are saying on a fukking message board. And I'm not obligated to just agree when people say stupid shyt about the nature of consent. But at the end of the day, Nate Parker doesn't need my approval of this incident to move on with his life because I don't interact or affect Nate Parker.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

They really trying to come for this movie about that topic though. :patrice:
How The Birth of a Nation Excludes Women from Nat Turner’s Rebellion

mcdivit85

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sound Reasoning
It is incredibly important that black people support this film and it's narrative. I personally have offered to buy tickets for people in my circle who want to go see the movie but may not have the funds this weekend. Because I feel that this movie needs to have a big opening weekend and I want to help as many people as I can get into a movie theatre and see this.

I hope other black people who care about their stories being told by them and for them feel the same urgency.

Peace

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin