The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
'Birth of a Nation' Review: Slave-Rebellion Drama Will Leave You Stunned

"The Birth of a Nation is shot in Georgia by camera wizard Elliot Davis with a blend of light and shadow that makes the past come palpably alive. Is it without flaw? No. Parker shares the indulgences of many a first-time filmmaker who throws everything he can at the screen, and Nat's religious visions, weird portents that his mother (Aunjanue Ellis) warns him against, are crudely visualized. Too many characters come and go without being fully developed; Henry Jackman's score pushes when it needs to subtly persuade. "Strange Fruit," a song written in the 1930's to protest lynchings of blacks, is sung by Nina Simone over an image of a black child hanging from a tree while a butterfly flutters near his chest. Sure, it's too much. But, in a multiplex dominated by play-it-safe formula, it's hard not to cheer Parker for his exultant belief that maybe, just maybe, a movie can change things. Besides, the overreaching pales next to what Parker has accomplished – a movie of potent provocation and surging humanity that ranks with the year's best."

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

:snoop: This is the bullshyt I have to hear from the Black Podcasts I listen to whenever they talk about this movie & Nate Parker.

:what: Nate Parker would done interviews with Black/Urban media outlets like "The Breakfast Club" & Hot97/"Ebro in the Morning" regardless of the controversy.

Even Hilary Clinton was on the breakfast club

Idiots really say dumb shyt for retweets

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Review: 'Birth of a Nation' is an amazing work of art

Parker creates a fascinating portrait of Nat Turner as neither hero nor villain. In the end, he’s portrayed as a man faced with tough decisions. While the path he takes may not have been the most righteous, for a moviegoer who has watched his tragedy unfold, it's an understandable one.

With racial injustice seemingly part of every news cycle 185 years after the events of Birth of a Nation, it’s chilling when Cherry informs Nat, "They're killing people everywhere for no reason at all but being black." But even as Parker’s own past becomes a conversation outside multiplexes, there’s no question that what he puts on the screen is artistry that can’t be ignored.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
10:15 showing tonight. Been waiting all day
full

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This movie is BRILLIANT! I have never seen a slave movie give so much life and humanity to it's characters. These were real people, who loved, feared, hated, and had their own individual quirks and mannerisms. They weren't caricatures or one dimensional mute stereotypes. And this movie didn't just give life to the slaves, but also to the whites who owned them and hunted them. They weren't all painted the same. They had their strengths and faults, but what it did do is highlight how most of them were complicit and involved in the institution of slavery either directly or indirectly, even if some of them were nice. The buildup to the rebellion was paced perfectly. That previously posted review that said this movie was all gore and no heart or passion was full of shyt! :aicmon: If anything he was very tasteful and hesitant to show too much gore. In fact, I truly believe that anyone who completely trashes this movie has a fukking agenda because Nate Parker really put his foot in this. The script, cinematography, and definitely the acting were top notch. My only complaint is that some of Nat's visions and the use of music made a few moments feel a bit pretentious. But Nat Turner DID have visions, so they had to show that. Maybe it was the placement of the visions coupled with the music that made it feel a little heavy handed. But that's my ONLY complaint. This is better than 12 Years a Slave by a mile, IMO. And yes, after viewing this movie, and seeing the parallels between the slave patrols, the use of scripture to subdue slaves, and racist rhetoric that is still repeated today, I know they do not want us to see this movie.

Please go see this movie, it's never been done like this before, and it was awesome!

9/10 or two thumbs up for sure. :salute:

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wouldn't want to watch in theaters, but don't do bootlegs anymore. I'll wait for DVD.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This movie is BRILLIANT! I have never seen a slave movie give so much life and humanity to it's characters. These were real people, who loved, feared, hated, and had their own individual quirks and mannerisms. They weren't caricatures or one dimensional mute stereotypes. And this movie didn't just give life to the slaves, but also to the whites who owned them and hunted them. They weren't all painted the same. They had their strengths and faults, but what it did do is highlight how most of them were complicit and involved in the institution of slavery either directly or indirectly, even if some of them were nice. The buildup to the rebellion was paced perfectly. That previously posted review that said this movie was all gore and no heart or passion was full of shyt! :aicmon: If anything he was very tasteful and hesitant to show too much gore. In fact, I truly believe that anyone who completely trashes this movie has a fukking agenda because Nate Parker really put his foot in this. The script, cinematography, and definitely the acting were top notch. My only complaint is that some of Nat's visions and the use of music made a few moments feel a bit pretentious. But Nat Turner DID have visions, so they had to show that. Maybe it was the placement of the visions coupled with the music that made it feel a little heavy handed. But that's my ONLY complaint. This is better than 12 Years a Slave by a mile, IMO. And yes, after viewing this movie, and seeing the parallels between the slave patrols, the use of scripture to subdue slaves, and racist rhetoric that is still repeated today, I know they do not want us to see this movie.

Please go see this movie, it's never been done like this before, and it was awesome!

9/10 or two thumbs up for sure. :salute:

I was low key expecting you to shyt on it :ohhh:

Is it lit :mjcry:

Edit: Some of the reviews said the women had no voices. Just there. Why did you feel that way, but others didn't :jbhmm: