The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
Our courts don't find people innocent. Not guilty means that there wasn't enough to stick him. By all accounts, the jury felt that because she gave him a blow job the night before, that gave him access to his body whenever he wanted it. He said himself that he would push his limits until a girl said no. A girl ain't saying a whole helluva lot when she's drunk and unconscious, is she?

Nate needs to be like Super Bowl Janet and stop talking. He's addressed it, so now he needs to never address it again. At this point, he comes off as extremely insincere. Just say "that was in my past. I was found not guilty in court" and do NOT allow it to go any further. Why? Because he raped that damn girl! He should just be glad that he got away with it and that black people aren't really going to care all that much, especially since the girl in question was white.

Where is the proof this happend?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
From Thursday last week (8/18/2016) on Roland Martin's show on TVOne:

Ahead of the release of Nate Parker‘s critically acclaimed biopic, The Birth of a Nation, a decades-old rape case has resurfaced, resulting in a major controversy for the filmmaker.

As a result of the allegations, many are calling for a boycott of the film, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival and was purchased by Fox Searchlight for $17.5 million.

On Thursday’s edition of NewsOne Now, Roland Martin and his panel of guests discussed the controversy surrounding Parker, the 1999 rape case, the upcoming release of this film, and if African-Americans should support it amid the scandal.

Read more: http://newsone.com/3512854/should-black-america-support-birth-of-a-nation-amid-nate-parker-scandal/

Watch NewsOne Now every weekday morning at 7AM ET on TV One.

:snoop: At these women being perfectly fine with distracting from the message in this film. They are literally trying to act like Rape/Sexual Assault is a problem unique to the Black community.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The new ads got this movie looking like "Braveheart" :patrice:

Ima still support the brotha after these cacs slandered him

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:huhldup:
Is there anything redeeming about this film? Yes. But the benefits do not outweigh the negatives. The Birth of a Nation is a deeply problematic movie that misrepresents Turner and his rebellion, and sends insidious messages about slavery and the multifaceted roles of black women in the battle for freedom. Despite Parker’s bluster about Nat Turner’s heroism and his claims to historical accuracy, he failed to provide a truthful rendering of Nat Turner’s life, his rebellion, or the experience of black people during slavery. As a result, Parker and Jean Celestin pimped black suffering for financial gain and proved that they have no respect for black history or for the people who fought for our freedom.
‘The Birth of a Nation’ Is an Epic Fail

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The new ads got this movie looking like "Braveheart" :patrice:

Ima still support the brotha after these cacs slandered him
Thats been a consistent positive and/or negative for people who have seen the movie. Nate admitted that had an influence in the Breakfast Club interview.

• Dap
Reactions: ECA

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Tyler Perry ain't put no money up huh? :mjpls: Shocking.

:ohhh:@ Tony Parker, Mike Finley and Derrick Brooks putting money up.

This was a great interview. Should convince anybody into seeing this flick.

Not just that. Tony Parker and Mike Finley were the first (besides Nate himself) to put money in the film.

He met with multiple financiers, and the first to invest in the film were retired basketball player Michael Finley (who invested in the film The Butler) and active basketball player Tony Parker (no relation).

The Birth of a Nation (2016 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Its funny to me watching all these interviews
Alotta brothers and sisters never heard of this man
Im not even FROM THE US!! And know about Nat Turner!
Theres was this kid I grew up with I think I was like 9 or 10. That used to always say "we gonna do these cops like Nat Turner!" Lol
And I finally asked my uncle one day like "yo! Who is Nat Turner G?!"

But the slave shyt in this country always fukked me up.
Like, seriously... i dont HATE white people. I dont. But I cant fukk with them like that.
Sorry.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Don't give a fukk what they're seeing me and the family going tomorrow. I feel like this shyt is overblown anyway people will see from themselves if they like the film or not.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Some are making this a bit too personal..
It’s as if Parker watched the Oscar-winning “12 Years a Slave” and believed he could do it better. He’s wrong. “12 Years a Slave” found heart and compassion in its characters and even in the morally complex “villains.” Parker and his co-writer Jean McGianni Celestin seem to have no other agenda than to relay the message to people of color to fight back. The “fight back” they’re referring to is one of violence and losing your soul for the cause. Watching slaves behead slave owners offers no other purpose than to try to rile up its audience. The two are trying to offer an outlet to the frustration that’s embedded in our culture and community, but in turn, and perhaps not purposely, are promoting violence and retaliation.

It’s clear that Parker is influenced by today’s climate of race relations. He’s sending a message to the black community, but I believe the message is muddled, and at times, often wrong. In movements like “Black Lives Matter” and countless other organizations that fight social injustice, the core pillar of their existence is peace. Nat Turner’s legacy isn’t just venturing out to a cold-hearted murder spree of whites during the time of slavery. His legacy is in leading a rebellion against the injustice. It;s in the inspiration and call for change that came with it. Focusing on the actual bloodshed of the slave owners offers nothing but a how-to guide to beat The Man.
Film Review: 'The Birth of a Nation' Is a Vanity Project Sending a Terrible Message to its Target Community - AwardsCircuit.com - By Clayton Davis