The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
This aint a "Cac" or "black" or whatever thing, so fukk that. He probably raped that girl. He and his crew definitely put out flyers on campus with her image that harassed her as well.

And I want you to hold this standard for ALL cases in which the judgement do not go the way you want. Starting with George Zimmerman's acquittal.

How are you so sure?

You never heard of chicks gettin trains run on them then the dude shyts on them or something afterwards or they just feel like shyt so they say they got raped :what:

You never heard a shyt like that??

Cmon man you sound like a real conservative Mitt Romney ass nikka right now

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
How are you so sure?

You never heard of chicks gettin trains run on them then the dude shyts on them or something afterwards or they just feel like shyt so they say they got raped :what:

You never heard a shyt like that??

Cmon man you sound like a real conservative Mitt Romney ass nikka right now
Nothing about this conversation is about politics, so I have no idea why you are going there.

And I take it you have not heard of gang rapes. Those happen.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Nothing about this conversation is about politics, so I have no idea why you are going there.

And I take it you have not heard of gang rapes. Those happen.
I guess you never heard of chicks out there willingly givin the p*ssy out to more then one dude at a time on some fantasy rebel against my father I'm away at college let me get my slut game poppin type shyt either.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I guess you never heard of chicks out there willingly givin the p*ssy out to more then one dude at a time on some fantasy rebel against my father I'm away at college let me get my slut game poppin type shyt either.
And you have never heard of a woman not wanting to let his homeboy slide in, but it happening anyway, and it ends up being a gang rape.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Marky Mark has committed Racist violence against Blacks and other races in Boston on his record and he was actually deemed guilty. But you didn't hear the media asking him about it during his "Deep Water Herizon" or his many Blockbuster promo tours. Yes Mark was young and people change but there are plenty of Actors With Horrible past that get a pass. Not to mention he was actually guilty of the things he was charged for. It's a smear campaign, Nate had his day in court and I'm there this weekend.

Black victim of Mark Wahlberg's racial attack says he shouldn't be pardoned

Last edited:

Marco Andretti

GRINDHARD
Daps
Reppin
NoleNation 904 Jetlife
Just got back from the sneak peak !!

Movie is good !!

Crackas getting heads split lol

Ol girl from how to get away with murder shows titties

I was like:gladbron: in my head.

But I went wit my girl so I was just like :jbhmm:

But really good movie ..

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
BOAN.jpg

WATCH: ’60 MINUTES’ PIECE ON NATE PARKER, ‘BIRTH OF A NATION’ + DESCENDANTS DEBATING NAT TURNER’S LEGACY

It’s the talk of the web today, and maybe water-cooler chatter at the office too – Nate Parker’s sit-down with Anderson Cooper on “60 Minutes” which aired on CBS last night.

The conversation covered not only the film – the Oscar buzzy “The Birth of a Nation” – but also, as you’d expect, the uproar over the now widely-discussed incident in Parker’s past. There’s also an interesting supplement that features Cooper speaking with descendants from both sides (Turner’s and the family that owned Turner) about the slave rebellion, debating the question of whether he, Nat Turner, should be considered a hero?

Both videos follow at the bottom of this post.

Parker wrote, directed and also stars in the film, “The Birth of a Nation,” playing Nat Turner – a film set against the antebellum South, telling the story of Turner, a literate slave and preacher, whose financially strained owner, Samuel Turner, accepts an offer to use Nat’s preaching to subdue unruly slaves. After witnessing countless atrocities against fellow slaves, Nat devises a plan to lead his people to freedom.

Joining Parker in front of the camera are Armie Hammer, Aja Naomi King, Jackie Earle Haley, Gabrielle Union, Mark Boone Jr. and more.

Fox Searchlight will open the film (which is still on my 2017 Oscar predictions list despite the controversy surrounding it) this Friday, October 7, 2016.

Below, first watch Anderson Cooper’s “60 Minutes” interview with Nate Parker, and then watch the discussion between the descendants:

Offthegrid

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aye brehs i just came across this on youtube shyt got me :ohhh::patrice::jbhmm::whoo::sas1::sas2:
When word got around about this film being picked up after the sundance film festival i believe 9 months ago i heard a few ppl saying that this nate brother was kinda sketchy & his past was gonna derail this film before its release to the public im still gonna support it but dis shyt is very weird just want yall thoughts on hollywood government & media tryna stir up a race war after this film drop & other c00n like movies coming out this winter we saw all da c00n celebs already choosin sides we only watch movies shows n music for entertainment & miss da important major keys(messages in these movies & shows)

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
How 'The Birth of a Nation' Dishonors Rosa Parks and Black Female Activists (Guest Column)

The premiere was highly emotional.
Film-festival premieres can be a funny thing: At the Cannes Film Festival, movies with a gala nighttime premiere will often screen earlier in the day for press and industry, and the tough-to-impress, jeer-prone crowd can begin shaping a film’s narrative hours before the stars don their gowns and tuxedos to watch it themselves. At Sundance, however, the press and industry screenings are usually scheduled for after the official premiere, which means that studio executives and journalists who are eager for a first look will fight their way into a premiere that’s heavily stacked with excited cast and crew members who worked on the film. I was at the premiere for The Birth of a Nation, and because of that vocal, invested audience, it was an emotional experience even beyond the content of the film. Parker had packed the crowd with people who had stuck with him as he raised financing for The Birth of a Nation over several years, and their mood was celebratory and euphoric. There was sobbing, cheering, and a sustained standing ovation, and it was hard not to be swept up in it all. Acquisition executives emerging from that premiere were convinced they had found a film that could connect with audiences.

#OscarsSoWhite was the talk of the town.
On January 14, the Oscar nominations were announced, marking the second consecutive year that no people of color were nominated for an acting award. A little over a week later, with April Reign’s influential hashtag #OscarsSoWhite at the forefront of Hollywood discussion, The Birth of a Nation premiered at Sundance. The timing could not have been better: Here was a film from a black actor-director that could contend for multiple awards, and Parker’s strong lead performance felt like a Best Actor lock and a surefire streak breaker. For a studio like Fox Searchlight, which has had at least one nominated film contending for Best Picture over nine of the last ten contests, The Birth of a Nation’s eventual nominations seemed in the bag: Academy voters, who had been painted as out of touch for two years running, would flock to the film to prove they had solved the #OscarsSoWhite problem — if even temporarily.

Black films are acquired, not developed.
Before Fox Searchlight picked up The Birth of a Nation, the studio’s 2016 slate was made up solely of films with white leads. The lineup for its parent company, 20th Century Fox, isn’t much better: None of the studio’s 15 films released this year will feature a person of color in the movie’s two first-billed roles, unless Fox moves the Taraji P. Henson–ledHidden Figures up to December. When it comes to prestige product featuring black leads, major studios rarely make the films in-house, preferring instead to acquire the movie with plenty of fanfare after someone else has taken the risk to finance and produce it.

For example, Fox Searchlight didn’t develop 2013’s Oscar-winning 12 Years a Slave itself: Film production company Plan B did all the work, and when the company brought on New Regency for extra financing weeks before the shoot began, it fell under a distribution pact New Regency had already made with Fox. That same year, the Weinstein Company acquired all of its black-led awards-season contenders — Fruitvale Station, Lee Daniels’ The Butler, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom — long after they had been shot and financed independently. With in-house studio films like Hidden Figures, Fences, and Moonlight on the way, this year may soon prove the exception to the rule, but back in January, the 2016 lineup still looked dire. Parker’s film provided a quick solution.

We’re in a new era of bidding wars.
Just as the independent-film market became squeezed, salvation came in the form of two deep-pocketed streaming giants, Netflix and Amazon. Long gone are the days when Harvey Weinstein snapped up every film-festival hit in sight. Now these two new entrants are putting their stamp on a majority of acquisition titles, paying big prices to serve a business model that’s only just now being written. The Birth of a Nation's team began its post-premiere bidding war by asking for bids at an already-staggering $12 million; that Fox Searchlight eventually paid $17.5 million was likely in part because Netflix was willing to go as high as $20 million. Searchlight had other things to offer Parker that sweetened the deal, like a better-positioned awards campaign and theatrical release, but the arrival of sky’s-the-limit bidders like Netflix has definitely thrown a wrench into the frantic negotiations that are a Sundance staple.

No one wanted to rain on Parker’s parade.
A heavily hyped film-festival movie will usually draw somewhat milder reviews when it actually comes out in theaters several months later. There are a number of reasons why this might be true: Film-festival audiences are often drunk on adrenaline and excitement to watch movies that have never screened before, and it isn't easy for a film to live up to all of those instant-reaction superlatives later in the year when other critics get a calmer look. That's part of the reason why The Birth of a Nation'scurrent reviews are a marked step down from the flat-out raves it earned at Sundance, but it's not the whole story: I talked to plenty of people at Sundance who felt the film was just okay or even mediocre, but they weren't eager to share their reactions at the time, lest they step on Parker's moment. It's part of the reason that the rape accusation took so long to resurface, despite its constant presence on Parker's Wikipedia page. Though I heard media members murmuring about the scandal even in Park City, no one wanted to be perceived as the white journalist who took down Nate Parker, and the accusation lay untouched until Variety's Ramin Setoodeh brought it up to Parker in a late-summer interview. Now that it's out there, though, the scandal has become The Birth of a Nation's number-one talking point. Will the narrative change once general audiences get to see the film, or is The Birth of a Nation destined to join other movies like Happy, Texas and Hamlet 2 that burned brightly at Sundance, then flamed out?

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago.

First, Nate Parker is a scumbag and probable rapist.

The film itself is 7/10. I think a better director would have done better. Pacing is bad at times. Shot composition sorta sucks at times as well. Also sometimes there were jumpcuts when it wasnt needed. Stuff you wouldnt notice unless it is abundantly there.

The story is great though, and needed to be told. Also Parker and the woman who played his wife were great, as was Arne Hammer.

IDK why you all believe idiots like Charlamagne, A LOT of white people were killed. In their beds, in the field, and in battle. Its a 7/10 movie though.

You're a fukking weak-willed bytchmade nikka if you believe that shyt.

And I peeped your posts prior to this, and I know for sure you are too busy trying to play both sides of the fence, and appease whitey every chance you get.