The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Everybody should anticipate that once they reach a certain level of fame (in Parker's case, writing/directing/producing/starring in a movie with Oscar buzz) any past rape cases are going to be heavily scrutinized.

He could have lowered his exposure by choosing a writing partner other than Celestin. He could have picked someone else to star so that he himself wouldn't be the "face" of the film. And he could have chosen a name other than Birth of a Nation! The fact that he didn't make any of these choices leads me to believe that he did not think ahead.

Nobody is suggesting the case is going to be retried in a court of law. It's the court of public opinion that is trying Parker's case right now, and their verdict is inevitably going to have an effect on his career.

Honesltly, I don't think any of the bold would've mattered. The same thing would've happened anyway.

Parker has been doing movies for over 10 years, including movies with big name attached to them in some way: Denzel, George Lucas, Spike Lee, etc. In a bunch of those movies, he was the lead. The case, as a result, should've been brought up a long time ago. This wasn't some hidden stuff, this case is public record.

That it is brought up, over a decade later, for this particular movie? And that it's brought up one month before the film's release? To the point that THR is writing stories about a guy make photoshopped posters about it? Not a coincidence.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nate Parker has released another statement:

Nate Parker | Facebook

:snoop: Never apologize for something you didn't do. Don't go the "I was young and should have been smarter" route. It gives people reason to doubt your innocence. Stand tall, say you were falsely accused, stood trial, and due process vindicated you. fukk all that passive language.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I'm seeing this news unfold and I'm just shaking my head. It's clear this is a smear campaign to prevent a "Black Empowerment" film. Also Nate should of known the White Supremist were going to come for him. "Birth of a Nation" is basically the KKK Bible and him taking that name has all their blood's boiling. With that said Nate should take some resonpibility by selling the rights to a White studio. This is the type of story that has to be All Black Everything. He was obviously looking at Oscar hype instead of just thinking about keeping it 100% Black. Should of went with Byron, who cares if it can't get the screens. Tariq got "Hidden Colors' on limited screens, they could of done the same. This type of sabatoge happens because Hollywood doesn't want empowerment films for blacks. They only want "White Savoir" films or films they can control the narrative. We saw how hard of time Spike had it making "Malcom X" to the point he had to get black celeberity to fund it because the studio didn't want to increase the budget.

As for the case again Black Atheletes in general and Whtie Girls don't mix in the justice system. The fact he got off with a mostly white jury lets you know her story was shaky. I don't know why these athelete keeps falling for this. In this system as Tairq just said recently, any sex with a White Woman can be called rape. Never been into that "Running Trains" thing, sorry. So I don't get surprised when it all falls apart. The biggest problem I have with this is the timing was clearly an attempt to destory the Oscar buzz as well as the box office for the movie. White woman falsing accusing rape has a long history in this country with Black men and Black Boys. (Rosewood, Emmitt Till, Black Wall Street). To the point entire Black towns were destory and thousands killed. Even the original film "Birth of the Nation" was based on Black Men attacking White Woman. Rape is real, and more men need to stop denying it because that's dangerous and why more woman don't come forward. But there are some shysty chicks out there and yes they do lie.

Also Nate been in the game a minute, "Why Now"? Because they don't want that revolutionary energy that Nat Turner story going to bring out there. They already wrote Nat out of our history books for a reason. White Society has always suger coated and hidden "Slave Revolts" and fighting back because they want us all to think we were "Happy Slaves". I was always going to support the film but this situation reminds me that Black filmmakers need to stop being so pressed to get White Accepance and just make their films their way including getting Black investors for the films. You think the Jews would allow anyone but someone of Jewish faith to make "Schinlder's List"? But when it comes to our history we always have to have other races dictating. Nate may have wrote, directed and produced. But now a White Studio has the power over the film.

There is nothing wrong with a 100% Black made film. Other races do it all the time. This is why what Matt Damon said was so dangerous about Black people only being "In front" of the camera and not behind it calling the shots. Sadly this is probalby going to derail the movie but I will still support it. There is nothing wrong with Nate dating or marrying interracailly as long as he never loses hisself. The problem i've seen with interracial relationship is the black person then turns on his own people and starts talking trash (Charles Barley). Yes Nate Turner would mostly likely be against Nate's lifestyle choices but that doesn't mean the movie shouldn't of been made. Overall this is a White Supremist tatic to stop the film and it's said some Black Women joined in to destroy the man. Black people in the country are Guilty even when we are proven innocent. We are always in a lose/lose situation in the system of White Supremacy. He may get nominated but only White people who rape, beat woman or child moslestors can get Oscars Wins. This was calculated and I'm not falling for the ookie doke folks.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
So Nate Parker and his buddy pulled a Houdini on the girl? :patrice:
By "didn't think this project through", I meant that Parker and Celestin should have anticipated the media firestorm that is currently brewing. And it's just going to get worse.

The court of public opinion doesn't care about acquittals in a court of law. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox ends up pulling the film before all this is over.

While Mark Wahlberg, Woody Allen, and Bryan Singer continue to have careers despite their transgressions, this controversy might actually end up destroying Nate Parker's future.
who cares what did or did not happen with other people? wrong is wrong :yeshrug:

doublex

Pro
Daps
who cares what did or did not happen with other people? wrong is wrong :yeshrug:

Wrong is wrong, but when you have the complexion for protection like Wahlberg, Allen, and Singer do, wrong doesn't have the consequences it should.

I think that's worth pointing out.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody is suggesting the case is going to be retried in a court of law. It's the court of public opinion that is trying Parker's case right now, and their verdict is inevitably going to have an effect on his career.

The is nothing new here though for the public to even form an opinion on. You can read all the 17 year old court docs you want but there is no new information being given to trump the verdict by the court. And because he was found innocent 17 years ago the public generally wont care in the end. That's the first question people will ask if they learn about this. Yall love to quote these twitter nobodies with 5000 followers as if they are important. They were not gonna watch the movie anyway.

If the accuser was alive and doing interviews claiming the case and trial was a sham them maybe there would be something to latch on to but as of now there is nothing to suggest that the courts got it wrong.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This made me want to support the brother more
Word. I've heard great things about this movie and this is some Ron Goldman's pops going after OJ type stalking. He was cleared 17 years ago and the victim died 4 years ago, NOW someone decides to blow the dust off this cold case and bring it to public knowledge? :leostare:

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
He may have raped a girl and is in some way responsible for her emotional distress that caused her suicide years later but dammit if woody allen can keep on chugging even though he's wifed up with his step daughter... yeah
I mean the academy got alot of heat last year for oscar's so white and the one film that was set to kill is basically going to create a controversy should it win anything.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
The thing that disappointed me the most about this whole ordeal was black feminists jumping in on the guy. These women are way too stupid to realize that they're being used as pawns for white supremacists. It's extraordinary.

Why are women so fukking stupid?

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I'm seeing this news unfold and I'm just shaking my head. It's clear this is a smear campaign to prevent a "Black Empowerment" film. Also Nate should of known the White Supremist were going to come for him. "Birth of a Nation" is basically the KKK Bible and him taking that name has all their blood's boiling. With that said Nate should take some resonpibility by selling the rights to a White studio. This is the type of story that has to be All Black Everything. He was obviously looking at Oscar hype instead of just thinking about keeping it 100% Black. Should of went with Byron, who cares if it can't get the screens. Tariq got "Hidden Colors' on limited screens, they could of done the same. This type of sabatoge happens because Hollywood doesn't want empowerment films for blacks. They only want "White Savoir" films or films they can control the narrative. We saw how hard of time Spike had it making "Malcom X" to the point he had to get black celeberity to fund it because the studio didn't want to increase the budget.

As for the case again Black Atheletes in general and Whtie Girls don't mix in the justice system. The fact he got off with a mostly white jury lets you know her story was shaky. I don't know why these athelete keeps falling for this. In this system as Tairq just said recently, any sex with a White Woman can be called rape. Never been into that "Running Trains" thing, sorry. So I don't get surprised when it all falls apart. The biggest problem I have with this is the timing was clearly an attempt to destory the Oscar buzz as well as the box office for the movie. White woman falsing accusing rape has a long history in this country with Black men and Black Boys. (Rosewood, Emmitt Till, Black Wall Street). To the point entire Black towns were destory and thousands killed. Even the original film "Birth of the Nation" was based on Black Men attacking White Woman. Rape is real, and more men need to stop denying it because that's dangerous and why more woman don't come forward. But there are some shysty chicks out there and yes they do lie.

Also Nate been in the game a minute, "Why Now"? Because they don't want that revolutionary energy that Nat Turner story going to bring out there. They already wrote Nat out of our history books for a reason. White Society has always suger coated and hidden "Slave Revolts" and fighting back because they want us all to think we were "Happy Slaves". I was always going to support the film but this situation reminds me that Black filmmakers need to stop being so pressed to get White Accepance and just make their films their way including getting Black investors for the films. You think the Jews would allow anyone but someone of Jewish faith to make "Schinlder's List"? But when it comes to our history we always have to have other races dictating. Nate may have wrote, directed and produced. But now a White Studio has the power over the film.

There is nothing wrong with a 100% Black made film. Other races do it all the time. This is why what Matt Damon said was so dangerous about Black people only being "In front" of the camera and not behind it calling the shots. Sadly this is probalby going to derail the movie but I will still support it. There is nothing wrong with Nate dating or marrying interracailly as long as he never loses hisself. The problem i've seen with interracial relationship is the black person then turns on his own people and starts talking trash (Charles Barley). Yes Nate Turner would mostly likely be against Nate's lifestyle choices but that doesn't mean the movie shouldn't of been made. Overall this is a White Supremist tatic to stop the film and it's said some Black Women joined in to destroy the man. Black people in the country are Guilty even when we are proven innocent. We are always in a lose/lose situation in the system of White Supremacy. He may get nominated but only White people who rape, beat woman or child moslestors can get Oscars Wins. This was calculated and I'm not falling for the ookie doke folks.

I ain't fukk wit Matt Damon since