The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

doublex

Pro
Daps
More from that illegal wiretap:

One week later, when Jennifer first confronted Nate Parker about the night of the alleged rape—on a phone call she surreptitiously, and illegally, recorded—the student athlete assured her that no one else had been in the room.

“So. Was it that you… was it that you had fukked me that night or was it that somebody else that fukked me that night, cause I really need to know this Nate,” Jennifer probed.

“Ohhhh. That was a long time ago,” Parker replied during the 2 a.m. call that Jennifer recorded on a mini-cassette tape on her answering machine.

Jennifer kept pumping him for a name.

“Yeah and you told me that nobody else did [have sex with me] but I need to know,” she said, adding that she’d slipped in and out of consciousness and how she’d seen a second mystery man having sex with her.

“Cause I remember waking up and seeing somebody else fukking on top of me and me asking where you were…” she continued.

“Jennifer, you are so full of shyt,” Parker countered. “I don’t know what you’re trying to pull now but we’ve already went through this.

“You pretty much did admit it that you were awake and now you’re saying…”

“No,” she hit back. “You know. You know I was passed out Nate.”

When Parker wouldn’t admit to her that a second man had been in the room that night, Jennifer decided to fake a pregnancy scare, forcing Parker to finally come clean four days later during another long phone call—this time, recorded by State College cops, who had acquired a warrant to intercept it. In the call, a tearful Jennifer struggled to get Parker to put the other man on the phone; after all, she said, she didn’t know “whose baby it is in the first place.”

“Well, it was only, you know what I mean, the only person, people, who was there was me and the person that I was with that night when we met, my roommate,” Parker said, trying to calm her down. He added, “I understand, I’m sorry, uh…now looking back on it we can both say that it was just unnecessary, none of it should have happened anyway, you know what I mean?”

Parker eventually handed the receiver to Celestin, who apologized to Jennifer. “Umm, well, I’m sorry, like, you know, I really don’t know what I’m apologizing for,” he told her. “But um, like, as far as like, if anything offended you, and you got hurt, you know, like, I’m sorry.”

On the call, Parker insisted to Jennifer that she had been an active participant in the sex. “Because, we were all hanging out together and then me and you started doing stuff and … then me and you eventually started having sex or whatever and he was still there, and you know what I mean, it started happening and you didn’t stop it, you know what I mean?”

Parker added that the sex the next morning had been very special for him.

“I mean the next day, you know, like you said, the next day when were were still, when we had sex again, you know what I mean, I really, I really enjoyed myself, I really had a good time with you. I really really did. I really, and um, that’s from the heart,” he said.

Inside the Nate Parker Rape Case

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:mindblown:They suspended her account??!!!

What were the tweets saying? Another one is protected.

A poster in TLR summarized what she said:
http://www.thecoli.com/posts/20472984/
The tweets weren't deleted. She just locked her account because of the amount of traffic she was getting so unless you follow her, you can't see the tweets.

She knew Nate and his friend during her time at PSU and saw all of the events unfold that had to do with the case. She mentions how local white hate groups were harrassing Nate, his friend, and other blacks on campus because of the case. And she also mentioned the numerous attempts by PSU to railroad them and take away their scholarships while the investigation was going on. And according to her the documents being released online aren't the full transcripts and are only a small part of hundreds of pages of transcripts. She also mentioned that Nate and his friend had decisions overturned in court because the woman had changed her story multiple times and there wasn't sufficient enough evidence to convict them. Even though Nate got off, his friend was convicted of sexual assault and spent two years in jail. She also made it a point to reinforce how severely racist PA's justice system is and how a majority white jury couldn't find any evidence of a conviction and would have if there was anything that could stick. She also repeatedly reinforced the point that they were never convicted of rape. The rest is a little hazy, but that is the main point of what she was saying. She said the media is trying to twist it into something it isn't.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Nate Parker has released another statement:

These are my words. Written from my heart and not filtered through a third party gaze. Please read these separate from any platform I may have, but from me as a fellow human being.

I write to you all devastated…

Over the last several days, a part of my past - my arrest, trial and acquittal on charges of sexual assault - has become a focal point for media coverage, social media speculation and industry conversation. I understand why so many are concerned and rightfully have questions. These issues of a women’s right to be safe and of men and women engaging in healthy relationships are extremely important to talk about, however difficult. And more personally, as a father, a husband, a brother and man of deep faith, I understand how much confusion and pain this incident has had on so many, most importantly the young woman who was involved.

I myself just learned that the young woman ended her own life several years ago and I am filled with profound sorrow…I can’t tell you how hard it is to hear this news. I can’t help but think of all the implications this has for her family.

I cannot- nor do I want to ignore the pain she endured during and following our trial. While I maintain my innocence that the encounter was unambiguously consensual, there are things more important than the law. There is morality; no one who calls himself a man of faith should even be in that situation. As a 36-year-old father of daughters and person of faith, I look back on that time as a teenager and can say without hesitation that I should have used more wisdom.

I look back on that time, my indignant attitude and my heartfelt mission to prove my innocence with eyes that are more wise with time. I see now that I may not have shown enough empathy even as I fought to clear my name. Empathy for the young woman and empathy for the seriousness of the situation I put myself and others in.

I cannot change what has happened. I cannot bring this young woman who was someone else’s daughter, someone’s sister and someone’s mother back to life…

I have changed so much since nineteen. I’ve grown and matured in so many ways and still have more learning and growth to do. I have tried to conduct myself in a way that honors my entire community – and will continue to do this to the best of my ability.

All of this said, I also know there are wounds that neither time nor words can heal.

I have never run from this period in my life and I never ever will. Please don’t take this as an attempt to solve this with a statement. I urge you only to take accept this letter as my response to the moment.

Nate

Nate Parker | Facebook

doublex

Pro
Daps
The accuser's civil suit against the university:

After police opened an investigation into the rape allegations, Parker and Celestin allegedly launched an “organized campaign to harass [Jennifer] and make her fear for her safety,” according to a March 2002 federal civil suit, launched by the Women’s Law Project against Penn State on Jennifer’s behalf. The suit argued that college administrators favored the athletes over Jennifer after she brought the rape allegations and failed to protect her from Parker and his friends’ reprisals.

The University settled for $17,500 in December 2002, the Daily Collegian reported. Penn State did not respond to requests for comment on the Parker and Celestin case.

The identity of Parker and Celestin’s accuser was initially confidential—she was unnamed in news stories and listed only as Jane Doe in the federal lawsuit—but, according to the civil case, the wrestlers allegedly hired a private eye who splashed an enlarged photograph of Jennifer around campus so students could supply dirt on her.

The charade exposed Jennifer’s identity, the civil suit claimed, and resulted in her harassment on campus. The wrestlers and their pals allegedly “constantly hurled sexual epithets” at Jennifer while trailing her on campus. They also made harassing phone calls to her dorm, the lawsuit claimed.

While Parker and Celestin did not comment on the lawsuit, and were not parties to the civil suit, the university denied Jennifer’s claims. “Penn State acted responsibly every step of the way,” a school spokesman told the Collegian.

After the case was settled, another university rep said Penn State only settled out of court to avoid costs. “We look at it as we didn’t do anything wrong,” he said. “We handled this in absolutely the best way we could.” (The suit was filed the same month that Penn State began probing the child sex abuse claims against assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.)

Meanwhile, the alleged harassment sent Jennifer into severe depression, sleeplessness and anxiety attacks, the court papers said.

She stopped going to class or leaving her dorm altogether.

On November 17, 1999, Jennifer attempted suicide, according to the suit.

She tried to kill herself again on November 23. Two days later, Jennifer wrote to Penn State officials detailing “the horrors she had been through” and begged the university to stop the wrestlers and their cohorts from their alleged harassment, the complaint says.

Jennifer was granted permission to relocate to an on-campus apartment—but it did little to save her academic career. (The university said it “offered [Jennifer] a variety of housing options and did relocate [her] and her roommate to an on-campus apartment,” court papers show.)

She “struggled unsuccessfully to continue attending class and to maintain her 4.0 grade point average,” the lawsuit stated. By the winter term in 2000, she’d dropped out.

Jennifer’s sister, Sharon, told The Daily Beast that Jennifer suffered scorn from many sympathizers of Parker and Celestin on campus: “She told me about the harassment and being fearful of Black Caucus members getting together and yelling at her, ‘There goes the white girl crying rape!’” Sharon said.

“She did not feel comfortable walking around campus because they shamed her everywhere she went… She went from a vibrant person into the deepest depression I had ever seen.”

Inside the Nate Parker Rape Case

doublex

Pro
Daps
Man the bad press Nate Parker is getting is going to ruin any (slim) chance this movie had at being successful.

Two black men who were put on trial for raping a white woman... write a movie and name it Birth of a Nation... the same name as the 1915 KKK propaganda film about black men raping white women...

Parker and Celestin did not think this project through.

getfileattachment.jpg

GetFileAttachment-1.jpg

GetFileAttachment-2.jpg

'Birth of a Nation' Poster Altered to Read "Rapist?" By Prolific Street Artist

Last edited:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Two black men who were put on trial for raping a white woman... write a movie and name it Birth of a Nation... the same name as the 1915 KKK propaganda film about black men raping white women...

Parker and Celestin did not think this project through.

getfileattachment.jpg

GetFileAttachment-1.jpg

GetFileAttachment-2.jpg

'Birth of a Nation' Poster Altered to Read "Rapist?" By Prolific Street Artist

He was exonerated and found innocent in the trial. Anyone can be accused of anything. There is nothing left to question or think through. The case has been over for 17 years.

doublex

Pro
Daps
He was exonerated and found innocent in the trial. Anyone can be accused of anything. There is nothing left to question or think through. The case has been over for 17 years.

By "didn't think this project through", I meant that Parker and Celestin should have anticipated the media firestorm that is currently brewing. And it's just going to get worse.

The court of public opinion doesn't care about acquittals in a court of law. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox ends up pulling the film before all this is over.

While Mark Wahlberg, Woody Allen, and Bryan Singer continue to have careers despite their transgressions, this controversy might actually end up destroying Nate Parker's future.

Last edited:

samtalksradio

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Belle Glade FL
I haven't been following this story much, but let me guess his new movie about Nat Turner have some rich cock sucking so called Jew pissed off. that's why they are now coming forward with these allegations. sounds familiar, isn't that the same thing that happened to Bill Cosby? But you fools Square he was guilty without real evidence, because the White media told you all he was that's the same thing they're doing now. just like the white man every time a black man wants to drop knowledge on his people they have to come in cause Division and confusion to keep your mind off the story of Nat Turner. black people, and especially Black women still have slave mind to fall for this obvious ploy to stop the Black the empowerment movement they still use the same method they use on the plantation four hundred years ago works every time.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
By "didn't think this project through", I meant that Parker and Celestin should have anticipated the media firestorm that is currently brewing. And it's just going to get worse.

The court of public opinion doesn't care about acquittals in a court of law. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox ends up pulling the film before all this is over.

While Mark Wahlberg, Woody Allen, and Bryan Singer continue to have careers despite their transgressions, this controversy might actually end up destroying Nate Parker's future.

Why would he anticipate anything when he has been acting in movies and been a hollywood celeb for over 10 years now? Unlike the other people you mentioned like singer and allen, nate parker has been legally cleared of this single allegation.

He was falsly accused of rape and exonerated. The case is tried and over with. He was found not guilty. And since the victim is dead there will be no new interviews or new accusations or anything else they can really dig up. There is nothing factual left to discuss and his facebook statement basically said that.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Why would he anticipate anything when he has been acting in movies and been a hollywood celeb for over 10 years now?

Everybody should anticipate that once they reach a certain level of fame (in Parker's case, writing/directing/producing/starring in a movie with Oscar buzz) any past rape cases are going to be heavily scrutinized.

He could have lowered his exposure by choosing a writing partner other than Celestin. He could have picked someone else to star so that he himself wouldn't be the "face" of the film. And he could have chosen a name other than Birth of a Nation! The fact that he didn't make any of these choices leads me to believe that he did not think ahead.

Unlike the other people you mentioned like singer and allen, nate parker has been legally cleared of this single allegation.

He was falsly accused of rape and exonerated. The case is tried and over with. He was found not guilty. And since the victim is dead there will be no new interviews or new accusations or anything else they can really dig up. There is nothing factual left to discuss and his facebook statement basically said that.

Nobody is suggesting the case is going to be retried in a court of law. It's the court of public opinion that is trying Parker's case right now, and their verdict is inevitably going to have an effect on his career.