The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
self sabotage on this one
I mean dude basically raped a woman and is acting like he's the victim
If he was white he might be able to skate by on this shyt but I don't know no matter how good birth of a nation is this is gonna take focus away from the movie and his acting/directing career

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
self sabotage on this one
I mean dude basically raped a woman and is acting like he's the victim
If he was white he might be able to skate by on this shyt but I don't know no matter how good birth of a nation is this is gonna take focus away from the movie and his acting/directing career
wtf he didnt rape no one

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I'm not gonna post this in the other place, but I'll post it here to just kinda get it off my chest.

The race of his wife - irrelevant, I don't know why it's even a thing. I mean I do, but I'm just surprised that it's still a thing to some people. Other than that, who cares.

The rape case on the other hand? As someone who spends a lot of time with words for a living, the wording throughout this media push/pre-apology tour has been worrying to say the least. I understand that he was cleared of all charges, but based on the lengthy, lengthy, original Deadline article that painstakingly describes the case beat by beat and even his own words (specifically, the careful but clear omission of the word "innocent" by Nate himself, every time) this may be one of those cases where cleared and innocent aren't the same thing.

I think the man made a mistake, a pretty bad and possibly heinous one, when he was a kid. I don't want to get too deep and talk about the culture of trains and stuff because I think any level-headed person would know that it's something that a few do and something that really isn't cool, even with perceived or explicit "consent" from a girl, but I find myself at a point where I'm on the fence.

At what point does a past mistake truly stay a mistake from your past?

Essentially, I'm asking, at what age do the things you do in your formative years start becoming a reflection of the man/woman you are as an adult?

I don't know Nate Parker, but I would like to think the college Nate Parker who did or did not rape a girl isn't the Nate Parker who made this film. I do think the crime he committed was bad - horrible, but the young adult who made that decision isn't the full adult who made this film. Unlike say, Roman Polanski, who was a fully formed, decision making and influential adult man who committed sex acts with a minor. He was well beyond the "I was a dumb kid, I didn't know what I was doing." age.

I dunno.

:francis:

I completely and wholeheartedly understand he disgust that women have for his actions - I can't imagine waking up from a semi passed out state to find two people on either end of me (PAUSE! :russ:), and they have the complete right to feel that way...

I don't even know what point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to make one. I just wanted to get that out lol

shytty situation overall, I guess.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:snoop: @steadyrighteous Can we agree that having that interview with Deadline was a HUGE mistake? When athletes or other famous people fukk up, you don't see them having some interview breaking down what happened like that. This is even worse becuase it's something from his past before he was even famous.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
This is a bad look...

If he was exonerated then why after 17 years was this not expunged.......cant support rapists

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

:snoop: @steadyrighteous Can we agree that having that interview with Deadline was a HUGE mistake? When athletes or other famous people fukk up, you don't see them having some interview breaking down what happened like that.

I would classify an alleged rape as more than a "fukk up". fukking up is drinking and driving. fukking up is calling a paparazzi a "faq". An alleged rape is a stain that you can't wash off, even if you were acquitted. As a man, after pedophile, it's the worst thing someone can accuse you of being.

But it was damned if you do damned if you don't:

Don't get out in front of it, and when the story comes out it'll look like you were trying to hide from it or hoping nobody would dig it up.

Get out in front of it, and it looks like you're trying to spin the story to make you look better and shape the narrative.

Overall, it's a bad situation that ended tragically. nikkas is in the other forum calling a woman who died by committing suicide a "psychotic whore", calling this a "public lynching" and, as usual, trying to wrap this in a conspiratorial narrative of a man being castrated and decapitated by a system that wanted him to fail from the start.

What I see is a man who did something in his past and it's coming back to haunt him in the worst way possible. Guilty or innocent, nobody wants the term "rapist" attached to their name. Teenage Nate didn't know Grown Man Nate was gonna grow up to make movies, because if he did, I doubt he'd be tag teaming girls in his dorm room.

I feel bad for all parties involved. It's just another case of young people not acting with foresight, and because of it a woman is dead and a man may have his career, which was on the cusp of taking off, crumble before his eyes.

Whether you want to believe in this narrative of a "public lynching", you have to first come to terms with the fact that he's being hung with a rope of his own making.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

That is about the truest shyt anyone has said about the entire rape case.
And I am sick of people reading some cherry picked transcripts from a Deadline article and all of a sudden being experts on rape trials.
This was a case of a group of college kids mixing booze with shytty judgment and when it was all over the woman in the situation regretted the night before. If there was even a shred of actual compelling evidence to convict then Parker and his homie would have been found guilty of rape because a black man accused of anything in Central PA who wasn't a star player on Joe Paterno's football team was doomed more often than not.

Last edited:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And I am sick of people reading some cherry picked transcripts from a Deadline article and all of a sudden being experts on rape trials.
This was a case of a group of college kids mixing booze with shytty judgment and when it was all over the woman in the situation regretted the night before. If there was even a shred of actual compelling evidence to convict then Parker and his homie would have been found guilty of rape because a black man accused of anything in Central PA who wasn't a star player on Joe Paterno's football team was doomed more often than not.

Bunch of smart dumb mofos. That's what the internet breeds. Idiots read a few selective tweets and think they can actually form an opinion on an entire court case tried 17 years ago that they they didn't witness or sit through.

Remember these are same type of fools who fell for the stop kony nonsense a few years ago after reading some tweets. Kony ain't been in uganda for years but those fools where donating money to the scammers, writing essays and asking the the president to invade.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:mindblown:They suspended her account??!!!

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Shiiiit. Man, the details of the case, specifically how these two men acted afterwards, are fukking gross.

Yeah, it's really bad, BUT, but but but.....the timing of this re-emerging is so suspicious and there are so many gross white men in Hollywood who get second, third, and fourth chances. I refuse to not support this movie because someone who directed and stars in it is gross. I mean I still watch Woody Allen, Mel Gibson, and Polansky movies. I think people have a right to be outrage, disgusted, and to boycott, but they better make sure they doing it to everyone who is gross in Hollywood.