The Bear - TV Series (Hulu/Starring Lip From Shameless/Trailer)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It was a great season. It kinda started out a little slow, but it really ended well.

Richie was training at Alinea, right? They didn't straight up name drop the restaurant, but I think it was the spot (it was rated as the best restaurant in the world at one time). I really wanted to go there when I was living there, but the waitlist was too long, and it costs a lot for me at the time. Me and my girl went to Tru though, and it was the best food I've ever had. I can only imagine what Alinea is like

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It was a great season. It kinda started out a little slow, but it really ended well.

Richie was training at Alinea, right? They didn't straight up name drop the restaurant, but I think it was the spot (it was rated as the best restaurant in the world at one time). I really wanted to go there when I was living there, but the waitlist was too long, and it costs a lot for me at the time. Me and my girl went to Tru though, and it was the best food I've ever had. I can only imagine what Alinea is like
It was shot at the two-star Ever. The dishes in the episode were prepared by the real life chef as well.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Goofy ass. He says the depiction makes the restaurant industry look unattractive for people to enter. The solution is obviously to have these restaurateurs actually pay and treat their staff decently, not complain about TV shows that show the truth. There wouldn't be so much negative depictions if it wasn't the reality of the industry.

This show actually romanticizes being a chef in a really attractive way though, IMO. I think it's doing the complete opposite of what he's saying. They really drove home the idea of purpose, which when it comes to the ultra shytty restaurant industry, purpose makes all the difference. A decade from now we're going to have a bunch of star chefs saying they got into the industry because of the Bear. Mark my words.

Daps
Excellent season. From the writing to the acting to the direction, this is prestige television. Shows like this are on another level. :wow:

I don’t feel like writing an essay on all the things I loved, but I do want to highlight how great of a job they did with Robert Townsend as Syd’s father. So glad they didn’t fall into the unsupportive/out of touch parent trope. They made it clear how much he loves her, roots for her, and will be there for her no matter how she fares in life. Even with that, there’s tension as Syd chases her dream. He has to balance being the voice of reason without being a dream killer she can’t talk to. Such a nuanced take on that relationship. This show does an amazing job developing these layered relationships and characters where their mains or sides, from Mikey to the mom, to Tina, on and on.

Really dope season.

Cook in the back with the meth pipes, JESUS. :dead:

fukk, what a massive fumble by Carm. I’m starting to notice a trend with these dramedy leads lately, lol. Like I want to see this guy happy, but knew from the very first sight I saw Claire that this would not end well. I didn’t even want her in this season.

I’m glad this wasn’t an L for the rest of the team though.

What I liked:

The tracking shots of the camera following staff around from back of house to front of house. Loved seeing Richie find his stride. Seeing the team band together when Carmy was locked in the fridge instead of melting down completely ala last season.

Pete desperately trying to get Momma Berzatto to join them inside and fighting back tears as he tries to keep that secret away from Nat. JLC put on an acting clinic. :mjcry:

What I didn’t like:

Having Claire walk away from her boyfriend who’s stuck in a fridge and clearly has a lot of frustration on his mind on opening night. fukkin’ communicate. Carmy is at fault with this too, he should’ve let her know. I think him suffering while everyone else is growing is 100% on point though, even if I hate the fact.

Wanted to see more resolution between Carmy and Syd as well, especially after their arguing.

I need Season 3 now.

Yea the Claire ending was the one thing I didn’t like about the show. So clunky it felt contrived and really threw me off. It’s tough to accept the Claire they developed would make the opening night of his restaurant about her when he’s stuck in a walk-in refrigerator. She’s mature enough to know it’s not fair to walk up and listen without announcing herself. She’s mature enough to know that people need to vent and he’s clearly going through it at that moment. She may have addressed it later but to storm out after that tame shyt wasn’t just weak it didn’t seem like something she’d do.

Honestly, I don’t think they did a great job with the Claire storyline as a whole. It felt out of place just because of how trope-ish it was; the way he was always crushing on her, she was always crushing on him, the family trying to get them together, but they still try to act all clueless about it. I wouldn’t say I hated the storyline (I did hate how it ended), I just don’t think it was done that well.

Episode 6 was a 60 minute whirlwind of chaos. Everyone involved acted their asses off.
Episode 6 is a GOAT-level episode in television history. I’ve never seen a show capture the bustle of a family event so perfectly on screen. So many intertwining conversations and random shyt going on. And that’s before you get to fork and car drama. I sometimes sit at events like these and think how dope it would be to capture it for film and The Bear actually fukking did it. :wow:

Can’t wait for Season 3.

RIP Marcus’s mom. :to:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Excellent season. From the writing to the acting to the direction, this is prestige television. Shows like this are on another level. :wow:

I don’t feel like writing an essay on all the things I loved, but I do want to highlight how great of a job they did with Robert Townsend as Syd’s father. So glad they didn’t fall into the unsupportive/out of touch parent trope. They made it clear how much he loves her, roots for her, and will be there for her no matter how she fares in life. Even with that, there’s tension as Syd chases her dream. He has to balance being the voice of reason without being a dream killer she can’t talk to. Such a nuanced take on that relationship. This show does an amazing job developing these layered relationships and characters where their mains or sides, from Mikey to the mom, to Tina, on and on.

Yea the Claire ending was the one thing I didn’t like about the show. So clunky it felt contrived and really threw me off. It’s tough to accept the Claire they developed would make the opening night of his restaurant about her when he’s stuck in a walk-in refrigerator. She’s mature enough to know it’s not fair to walk up and listen without announcing herself. She’s mature enough to know that people need to vent and he’s clearly going through it at that moment. She may have addressed it later but to storm out after that tame shyt wasn’t just weak it didn’t seem like something she’d do.

Honestly, I don’t think they did a great job with the Claire storyline as a whole. It felt out of place just because of how trope-ish it was; the way he was always crushing on her, she was always crushing on him, the family trying to get them together, but they still try to act all clueless about it. I wouldn’t say I hated the storyline (I did hate how it ended), I just don’t think it was done that well.

Episode 6 is a GOAT-level episode in television history. I’ve never seen a show capture the bustle of a family event so perfectly on screen. So many intertwining conversations and random shyt going on. And that’s before you get to fork and car drama. I sometimes sit at events like these and think how dope it would be to capture it for film and The Bear actually fukking did it. :wow:

Can’t wait for Season 3.

RIP Marcus’s mom. :to:
Episode 6 reminded me of Sunday dinners at my grandmas house. 10 legit loud ass conversations or arguments happening at the same time. Everyone in their own little cliques all around the house. I miss those days sometimes :to:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
:jbhmm:

This show is like they took an entire string of Ratatouille moments and just stretched them out over ten eps.

Just little things stuffed to the gills with meaning.

Richie finally connecting with his purpose.
Ebraheim trying and failing.
Marcus in Denmark of all places, living on a houseboat, picking up life lessons. (By the way...who went and made Will Poulter likeable? The hell?)
Tina being gifted her chef's knife by Carmen.
Sydney piecing together her confidence.
Fak figuring out the insurance play.
Michael barely holding it together. (Bernthal's not even a headliner but still outshined damn near everybody else...in just two episodes, across two seasons.)
Forks.
Jamie Lee Curtis and all of episode 6 being masterful all the way through.
Uncle Jimmy and the Cubs' lesson.
Carmen trying to be there for everyone but himself.

...and that chocolate banana moment:damn::to:

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas

Restaurant was fictional but was filmed at Ever in Chicago

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
what’s sad is it was him and all his connections that got everyone to find their purpose.

I think season 3 and I think there will be one will focus more on Carm then this season did and I think the staff is going to help him the way he helped them this season. You see glimpse of that with them talking to him in the freezer and Syd telling him he is not alone. I think next season is really about Carm healing and dealing with his traumas like they started to do with the savory cannoli’s he is making the right steps but he isn’t there and I think the restaurant getting that star will signify the end of his journey. I also think Claire will be back and she is legit good for him. Marcus mom I think will be a big source of perspective for Carm next season.