The Audacity: Dad offers son $30K. Son's fiancée wants written agreement of 50/50 split of the gift

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eh - I don't see what the big deal here is but he should let his son make his own decision. This is a case where his new wife is coming from the experience of her family growing up. A divorced home is more likely to lead to them getting a divorce later--and I have friends, some wealthy - from similar situations who have sworn they would never marry unless their assets were protected on paper.

That's not bad advice from her parents if she plans on being a stay at home mom or she earns less than he does, and in an event of a divorce would be more likely to be the person struggling financially temporarily.

If his son isn't prepared to have this conversation (whether he agrees with her or not) he is not ready to get married. My wife and I both earn very well, and in our case we have a circumstance where one of us stands to get a tremendous windfall from a business venture that started before the marriage. Already, we've had conversations about what we would do, sell half/invest/buy a home here etc and we differ. One of us pointed out the hypothetical money was more theirs than the other (which is true because it was their contract) its a real conversation that his son should have with his wife and decide whether or not this is something he wants to live with the rest of his life or doesn't want.

Simple as that.

Dad should stay out of it and tell his son to make his own decision. If he's man enough to marry he's man enough to talk to his wife.
EDIT - and if its a gift to his son, just give it to your son and tell him to make a decision on what he wants to do with the gift once he receives it. Again, his decision his marriage.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Her parents divorce has her hella jaded.

If she feels that way about marriage simply don’t get married.

And they should take care of all their debts first. Live in that one bedroom and pay off your student loans first!

who tryna pay a house now anyway?
Wait till that bytch crash some more!

if she has an exit plan already going into it why the fukk is she going into it?! :snoop:

Mortgage rates are at historic lows. This is the perfect time to buy a house or refinance.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
This some cac shyt.

Mum: I think we should give him money towards a down payment.

Dad: Cha. Hima big man now. :stopitslime:

Mum: Each generation is supposed to make it easier for the next.

Dad: :martin:

He'd go through with my mum's suggestion but if I was to turn around and him with "Can you sign it in my girlfriends name"

:what::dahell::damn:

His instinct would be to go for the belt. Imagine that shyt. It is the sort of thing that would make me disinherit my son or put all of his money in a trust.

The demand should end at "Ask your parents to make up the other 30k".

Daps
Reppin
St louis
I would have told my son that
he's flirting with disaster fukking
with sucha woman.
then i would have told him
that he aint getting shyt from
me as long as he's entertaining
that hoe bytch.
VgfNLaI.gif

UKVu0t8.gif

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
You HAVE to look at marriage not only through a love lens but also though a business lens because if you happen to divorce, the courts will look at it as such. It may seem petty and dumb and it might just be (I can’t make that determination) but I understand. I’ve been through it and if you let love blind you and cause you not to play your cards right you will get fukked hard.

Daps
dude is sending mixed messages. he tells "them" that he wants the help "them" buy a home. then he tells "them" he would give it to the son because they aren't married. but they are engaged to be married of course it seems like a weird distinction. maybe he should have waited to give it to them as a marriage gift if that's what he intended. because otherwise, in effect and legally it's just for his son.

not something i would complain about though

Daps
No ones said it but here's the thing. This bytch knows that once she gets married, ALL the courts and laws are in her favor. If they get divorced, THAT house is HER house. And by proxy, that 30k is HERS. She's already won by not signing a prenuptial with the husband. THIS is just her taking a victory lap on his dumbass.

The father are husband are the only fools here.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I agree with the editor's response.

I am not sure if the father's son is marrying the right woman though...

I have no issue with the fiancée wanting to protect herself, but the father isn't obligated to sign any agreement. I certainly wouldn't do it, if I was in his position.

Once he gives his son the 30K, then what is done with it is in the hands of his son. I do believe that the son will get played. He may wanna reevaluate who he is engaged to and decide if it is in his best interest to marry his fiancée.