Veteran
Supporter
Daps
23 JUNE 2016

New Era (Windhoek)

Africa: Windhoek Now World's Least Expensive City for Expats

00341044:dfcf31d093eb13c7777e40dad4e20461:arc614x376:w285:us1.png

Photo: New Era
View of the Namibia capital city, Windhoek.

By Desie Heita

Windhoek — Windhoek and Cape Town are the world's least expensive cities for expatriates to live in, but Angola's Luanda is still one of the world's most expensive cities, even though this year it slipped to number two position on the global list because of the weakening of the local currency.

Hong Kong is now the world's most expensive city for expats, leapfrogging Luanda in the annual chart compiled by consultancy firm Mercer, and released yesterday. Luanda had previously consistently topped the list in recent years.

Despite dropping off the top spot on the global list, Luanda remains the highest ranking city in Africa in terms of expensiveness. Kinshasa follows at number 6 on the African list, rising seven places since 2015.

Moving up one spot, N'Djamena is the next African city on the list at number 9, followed by Lagos, Nigeria at number 13 which is up seven places. Congo's Brazzaville is also ranked among the top 30 expensive cities in the world at number 23. Zimbabwe's Harare is ranked at 157, Tanzania's Dar es Salaam at 174, Zambia's Lusaka at 200 and Botswana's Gaborone at 201.

To determine the cost of living in each city the research looks at, among others, the cost of rent along with the cost of a cup of coffee, a pair of decent jeans, a hamburger meal and a small imported beer.

According to the figures released by Mercer, rent for a two-bedroom apartment in a posh neighbourhood would cost US$6 809 (N$95 326) in Hong Kong, while in Luanda it costs US$6 700 (about N$93 000); US$5 100 (N$71 400) in New York, US$4 583 (N$64 162) in London and US$4 200 (N$58 800) in Moscow. In Windhoek a two-bedroom townhouse in an upper class suburb is advertised for an average rental price of US$1 300 (N$18 200).

Renting accommodation represents one of the largest costs, and to be suitable, a house or flat must be "safe and secure, of international standards" and located in "an appropriate neighbourhood".

At 209, Windhoek dropped three spots down to the bottom of the list, from the 2015 ranking, and is now the least expensive city in Africa and globally. South Africa's Cape Town is ranked at 208 on the list. Other African cities among the group of least expensive are Blantyre, Malawi, which is ranked 206 in the world, and South Africa's Johannesburg at 205.

Mercer said that rankings were affected by "volatile markets and stunted economic growth in many parts of the world". Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement and investments.

Zurich and Singapore were third and fourth on the list, unchanged from a year ago. Tokyo rose to fifth. Kinshasa, in Democratic Republic of Congo, is ranked sixth, appearing in the top 10 for the first time, followed by Shanghai, Geneva, Chad's N'Djamena, and Beijing.

The survey is designed for companies to calculate expat workers' allowances.

It weighs the cost of living in 209 cities across the world, comparing the cost of more than 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing and entertainment.

"Despite technology advances and the rise of a globally connected workforce, deploying expatriate employees remains an increasingly important aspect of a competitive multinational company's business strategy," said Ilya Bonic, Senior Partner and President of Mercer's talent business.

"However, with volatile markets and stunted economic growth in many parts of the world, a keen eye on cost efficiency is essential, including a focus on expatriate remuneration packages. As organizations' appetite to rapidly grow and scale globally continues, it is necessary to have accurate and transparent data to compensate fairly for all types of assignments, including short-term and local plus status," he said.

Africa: Windhoek Now World's Least Expensive City for Expats

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Windhoek and Cape Town are the world's least expensive cities for expatriates to live in, but Angola's Luanda is still one of the world's most expensive cities, even though this year it slipped to number two position on the global list because of the weakening of the local currency.
Don't know how true that is for Cape. It is exponentially more expensive because of the Euro's and other foreigners moving in and buying up all the good real estate. Even apartments are starting to rise in cost but that's all depending on where you want to stay. Windhoek seems mad boring from the one weekend I spent there. May try to go back before I leave but it's one of those place you scratch off your list and forget about

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Don't know how true that is for Cape. It is exponentially more expensive because of the Euro's and other foreigners moving in and buying up all the good real estate. Even apartments are starting to rise in cost but that's all depending on where you want to stay. Windhoek seems mad boring from the one weekend I spent there. May try to go back before I leave but it's one of those place you scratch off your list and forget about

those fools :wow:

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
those fools :wow:
Not to talk down on my SA brothas and sistas but you meet just as many who talk down on AA's as you do those who are infatuated with all things American. I kicked this one broad to the curb last week cause I just couldn't take all the shyt she'd talk about black American men, black people being lazy, black folks with slave mentality, etc....I'm like "so you not gonna say anything about you muthafukkas being the majority and only having single digits of the wealth" or "the way you allow your country and resources to be pimped out to folks who only recognize you (BRICS) because you have shyt that they don't?" Shuts her up every time. bytch was annoying. I've met a gang of beautiful women since I've been here but the ones lately aren't that smart (only word I can think of).

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Not to talk down on my SA brothas and sistas but you meet just as many who talk down on AA's as you do those who are infatuated with all things American. I kicked this one broad to the curb last week cause I just couldn't take all the shyt she'd talk about black American men, black people being lazy, black folks with slave mentality, etc....I'm like "so you not gonna say anything about you muthafukkas being the majority and only having single digits of the wealth" or "the way you allow your country and resources to be pimped out to folks who only recognize you (BRICS) because you have shyt that they don't?" Shuts her up every time. bytch was annoying. I've met a gang of beautiful women since I've been here but the ones lately aren't that smart (only word I can think of).

I wasn't even thinking about that when I wrote that. :skip:

I was thinking the euros and foreigners are fools.. because South Africa will explode in our lifetime. I expect obvious foreigners to be slaughtered down there :manny:

But yeah the africans are fools for letting this shyt ride..

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ghana Sees Debt Levels Slowing as Growth Outpaces Borrowings

by Ekow Dontoh

June 27, 2016 — 3:11 PM BRT

Ghana’s growth in government debt will slow in 2016 as economic expansion outpaces borrowing, Finance Minister Seth Terkper said.

The West Africa nation’s debt, which measured 71 percent of gross domestic product in 2015, “will improve on account of positive growth,” Terkper told journalists in the capital, Accra.

The economy in the world’s second-biggest cocoa grower expanded by 4.9 percent in the first quarter from a year earlier, compared with a revised 4.1 percent in the preceding three months. President John Dramani Mahama pledged to tighten the fiscal gap which the International Monetary Fund said last month could reach 4.8 percent of GDP, lower than the government forecast of 5.3 percent.

Plans to raise as much as $1 billion this year in Eurobond sales will only proceed if rates are affordable, Terkper said. Ghana will delay some debt sales if the market is not conducive, he said.

Ghana Sees Debt Levels Slowing as Growth Outpaces Borrowings

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I wasn't even thinking about that when I wrote that. :skip:

I was thinking the euros and foreigners are fools.. because South Africa will explode in our lifetime. I expect obvious foreigners to be slaughtered down there :manny:

But yeah the africans are fools for letting this shyt ride..
God willing on the bolded but it will take a monumental shift in their approach to thinking forward and not in the present. The political landscape will need to do a complete 180. Not to delve deep into ANC vs. DA vs. EFF but it's strange to me how the DA can implement ANC policies better than the ANC.

The foreign investment is the one thing that's keeping a lot of spots here afloat and the only reason that is is because of how much they're allowed to pillage the resources from here. DeBeers should have been sent packing after 94 but they're still the largest diamond mining company in country (and own the largest in Venetia mine in Limpopo). Now Chinese $$ are starting to flow in. They basically own the tiny country of Lesotho. Built a state of the art, solar powered airport in Swaziland and building the King there another one. Country has a population of about 1-2 mil....

The 25-40 y/o here need to make a firm decision of whether they want this country to be great or are they simply satisfied with just the appearance of wealth and continue on with their party and bullshyt.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone know anything about the IT/dev scene in africa? currently studying a compsci type degree and thinking of maybe trying to make some moves out there anyone follow some blogs or good websites regarding the IT/DEVstartup scene there?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Huge helium deposit found in Africa
New prospecting technique could bring an end to worldwide shortage
CBC News Posted: Jun 27, 2016 6:30 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 27, 2016 6:30 PM ET

hi-852-helium-balloons.jpg

The British Medical Association voted in 2015 to campaign for a ban on frivolous uses of helium for party balloons over concern about the shortage of the gas.

824 shares
facebook-up.png

Facebook
twitter-up.png

Twitter
reddit-up.png

Reddit
plus-up.png

Google
share-up.png

email-up.png

Email
Related Stories
External Links
(Note: CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)

Here's something to celebrate with a big, bright bunch of helium party balloons: scientists believe they have discovered a huge new helium deposit — and the technique they used to find it could put an end to the global helium shortage.

You may be most familiar with helium as the lighter-than-air gas that makes balloons float on the end of a string and makes your voice sound squeaky after you breathe it in, but it has a huge range of more serious and important uses for airships, scuba diving tanks, MRI scanners, welding, industrial leak detection and even in the Large Hadron Collider.

Worldwide helium supplies have been running out, and Nobel prize-winning physicist Robert Richardson estimated in 2010 that they could betapped out by 2035 or 2040. The British Medical Association voted in 2015 to campaign for a ban on frivolous uses such as party balloonsin light of the shortage.

helium-gas-seep.jpg

Tom Abraham-James, founder and CEO of Helium One, collects helium gas from a natural water and gas seep near Lake Eyasi, Tanzania, in November 2015. Bubbles just in view in the 'puddle' contain up to 10 per cent helium. (Peter Barry/University of Oxford)

But now a new, huge helium reserve has been found in the Tanzanian East African Rift Valley, announced researchers at Oxford and Durham universities in the U.K., working with the Norway-based exploration company Helium One, at the Goldschmidt geochemistry conference in Yokohama, Japan, today.

The researchers say many other reserves around the world could be found using the technique they developed to find that reserve.

Gas seeping out of the new Tanzanian reserve contains up to 10.6 per cent helium, and the reserve is estimated to hold about 54 billion cubic feet (1.5 billion cubic metres) of helium gas in total.

"This is enough to fill over 1.2 million medical MRI scanners," said Chris Ballentine, a University of Oxford researcher who co-authored the study, in a news release.

For comparison, entire global reserves are thought to be about 35.2 billion cubic metres, and the world uses about 227 million cubic metres per year.

Accidental finds
Up until now, helium has been mostly found accidentally during oil and gas exploration.

In this study, the researchers decided to use oil and gas exploration techniques to do a targeted search for helium. They looked for the types of rocks that typically produced helium and combined that with seismic images of underground structures that could trap gases. They also showed that volcanic activity provides the heat necessary to release the gas from the rock.

med-brain-on-harry-potter.jpg

Helium has a huge range of uses. It's an important coolant in machines like MRI scanners, which use superconducting magnets. Helium is a powerful coolant because it has a boiling point of -268.9 C. (Keith Srakocic/Associated Press)

"We can apply this same strategy to other parts of the world with a similar geological history to find new helium resources," said Peter Barry, a University of Oxford researcher who sampled the gases for the study, in a news release.

The researchers are still working to refine their technique. Durham University researcher Diveena Danabalan noted that gas traps too close to a volcano likely contain large amounts of other volcanic gases that would dilute the helium, and work continues "identify the 'Goldilocks zone' … where where the balance between helium release and volcanic dilution is 'just right.'"

Is the global helium shortage over? Big deposit found with new technique

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
28 JUNE 2016

Government of Mauritius (Port Louis)

Mauritius: Wave Energy Project - Deployment of a Wave Monitoring Device

PRESS RELEASE

A wave monitoring device, aiming to explore the prospects of developing wave energy for the Republic of Mauritius and harness the potential of ocean energy, was deployed yesterday during a launching ceremony held at Le Batelage Restaurant, in Souillac.

This initiative follows the Collaborative Agreement signed in June 2015 by the Mauritius Research Council (MRC) with Carnegie Wave Energy Ltd on the prospects of developing wave energy for Mauritius. Based in Australia, Carnegie Wave Energy Ltd is a leader in wave energy technology and harnessing wave energy for the production of electricity and desalinated water.

Following the signature of the Agreement, Carnegie Wave Energy Ltd in partnership with the MRC began in November 2015 the project 'High Penetration Renewable Energy Roadmap, Wave Resource Assessment and Wave-Integrated Micro grid Design in Mauritius'. The project is being jointly funded by Carnegie (19%) and the Australian Government (81%).

The Minister of Ocean Economy, Marine Resources, Fisheries, Shipping and Outer Islands, Mr Premdut Koonjoo, and the Minister of Civil Service and Administrative Reforms, Minister of Environment, Sustainable Development, and Disaster and Beach Management, and the Australian High Commissioner to Mauritius, Ms Susan Coles, were present at the deployment of the wave monitoring device at Souillac. The event was organised by the MRC in collaboration with the Australian High Commission in Mauritius.

Five potential locations that are no further than 3 km from Souillac have been identified for the deployment of the wave monitoring device. The aim is to use the site closest to Souillac for the deployment of the device.

It is recalled that the Republic of Mauritius has a total area of 2.3 million square kilometres of Exclusive Economic Zone and is geographically well positioned to harness ocean energy. This may be in the form of offshore wind, ocean wave, ocean current, ocean thermal and ocean saline energy.

Wave energy

Wave energy possesses unique characteristics that offer an advantage over other renewables such as wind and solar energy. These include:

Less variable and with the variability being more gradual and with notice;

More predictable: Wave energy is estimated to be at least three times more predictable than wind energy;

The proximity of favourable wave energy sites to ultimate end users, thereby minimising transmission issues. Notably, approximately 60% of the world's population lives within 60 kilometres of a coast.

Mauritius: Wave Energy Project - Deployment of a Wave Monitoring Device

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.
Sudan Sets a Private Plan for Saudi Investments

Riyadh – Sudanese official revealed that Sudan has allocated over one million acres for Saudi agricultural investment in Sudan designed to conform with Saudi Vision 2030 comprising 18 recommendations to invest in the country. He revealed that Sudan’s agricultural investment has a 40% growth.

Sudanese Secretary of State Osama Faisal expected the Saudi investments to increase 100% within the four upcoming years. He added that direct foreign investments in Sudan exceeded 42 billion dollars in 2015 and expected to reach an 8% increase during 2016.

Faisal explained that the current Saudi investments in Sudan exceeded 11 billion and another 11 billion expected in the upcoming four years. He added that there are about 6 billion dollars of projects that came within the four agreements signed by leaders of both countries in Riyadh. He stated that Saudi investors finally started investing in solar energy, education, tourism, health sector and food safety.

Faisal expected the investments to increase amid daily new investments throughout Sudan. “Saudi investors are most welcome like no other because of extended relations between both countries,” he said, assuring that investors will be welcomed and will receive all help needed for their investments to be successful. “I was assigned as a special advisor by the presidency to personally overlook the Saudi investments.”

Faisal added that this visit comes to shed more light on the investments’ plan and meeting with Saudi officials. He explained that the Saudi inclination is to focus on agriculture as part of Vision 2030. Faisal praised the role of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz and President Omar al-Bashir in uniting and strengthening the bond between the two countries.

Secretary Faisal elaborated on how he visited 80% of all projects in order to overcome the challenges facing them. Most of the projects have been very successful and thus they are planning to document them to be an example followed later on. He added that having fertile land without any conflict is a main issue to proceed with the plans.

Studies showed that there has been a 70% increase in the fruits-vegetables sector because of the high demand due to investments from all over the world including Arab and Gulf countries.

Faisal added that Sudan received huge investments from different countries including Brazil and Argentina. He explained that one of the challenges that used to face investors was the economic blockade which they have been working to overcome.

Sudan Sets a Private Plan for Saudi Investments - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tanzania to record a 7.4 per cent growth in 2017

Elayne Wangalwa with BOT-TZ.ORG 18 hours ago

TANZANIA

1024x576_337059.jpg

Tanzania’s economy is expected to grow by 20 basis points to 7.4 per cent in 2017.

According to the country’s central bank, this growth will be driven by construction, communications and finance.

The country is experiencing increased real estate development for residential and non-
residential purposes and building of road networks.

“Construction has been the major contributor to growth for the past two years contributing 23.9 per cent and 18.8 per cent in 2015 and 2014, respectively,” noted the bank in its monetary policy satement.

The use of mobile services continues to register strong growth for the ICT sector. Meanwhile, increased levels of financial intermediation is aiding to the growth in the banking and insurance industry.

In 2015, East Africa’s second largest economy registered a growth of 7 per cent same as the growth registered in 2014.

The strong growth was supported by stability in power supply, moderation in oil price and high growth of credit to the private sector.

Meanwhile, the economy is expected to maintain strong growth momentum in 2016 of 7.3 per cent supported by government initiative.

“The macroeconomic policies pursued in 2015/16 and the initiatives under the Second Five Year Development Plan, have set strong foundation for a sustained growth,” noted the bank.

Tanzania to record a 7.4 per cent growth in 2017

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mozambican company plans to produce wine and medicines from tea

JULY 1ST, 2016
folder-gray.gif
HOME

Sociedade de Desenvolvimento da Zambézia, Lda. (SDZ) plans to harness the potential of the Gurué tea plantation region in Mozambique in order to make tea derivatives such as wine and medicine, in addition to the tea itself, a company representative said.

Thiruvarangan Sridhar, a representative of SDZ, an Indian- and Mozambican-owned company, told daily newspaper Noticias that the idea is to mass produce the various types of teas and their derivatives, including “Tea Wine”, which will make Mozambique the first producer of this drink in Africa.

Sridhar recalled that Gurué was once considered the largest tea producing region in the southern hemisphere and its product was exported all over the world in the 1960s with 14 factories processing more than 21,000 tons of tea for foreign markets.

Currently, only four companies continue to operate in Gurué. They are facing problems such as poor product quality and highly competitive markets.

Nina Patel, of the SDZ board of directors, told the newspaper that the company plans to introduce working methods that add value to products derived from the tea plant. The first step in doing this will be to sign a memorandum of understanding with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India. (macauhub/MZ)

Mozambican company plans to produce wine and medicines from tea