‘The Acolyte' | Star Wars Disney+ series about the rise of the Sith

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I mean it is mentioned the Jedi maintained peace in the galaxy, so that shouldn't come as a surprise. It is part of their downfall in episode 3 as they were simply arrogant in what they thought was right.
It's before that. Jedi in ep 4-6 are treated as a myth so even though you are told what they did, you don't really know how they did it. The prequels answered a lot of questions and the end result was more of a "oh, :ld:" or "oh, :patrice:" instead of "yoo :ohhh:". And the more stories we get, the more bleh they become.

There's a ton of cool storytelling options by making the Jedi flawed and not simple good force fighting evil as Lucas initially presented them. But as of today, those compelling opportunities have not been taken full advantage of. We are mostly left with filling in the gaps ourselves to make the movies/TV shows make more sense or be way more compelling that what they actually were on screen.

Star Wars content is trapped in a push and pull battle between simple stories (good vs evil) and more nuanced stories (flawed people trying to find a way to make good in a very complex galaxy) and the majority of time it doesn't find the right balance between them. For every Andor, Clone Wars/Rebels or Mando(S1&2) we get either mid or downright bad stuff (Book of Bobba, ROS)

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
This is probably the only problem with this past episode; the child carrying the entire episode. There definitely wasn’t enough thought put into shots, dialogue, etc for her to carry the episode by herself.

And, it seemed like she just wanted to be a Jedi out of thin air?

Yeah that’s my biggest problem with the episode that it was a complete waste because nothing was actually elaborated on. This is exactly what we were told happened already. The only thing we got is that Mae was pretty much evil from the start, which we could already assume ourselves. And if it’s reveled later that this isn’t how it actually went down then it’s even more of a waste. I bet when this is all over you can skip this episode entirely and not miss a thing.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
The episodes isn’t from Osha’s perspective is part of the problem. We are seeing conversations she wouldn’t know.

The perspective just shifts a couple times when necessary.

Some stuff about the coven’s predicament i’m guessing will be revealed once we get into how and why the twins were created.

The whole episode had unreliable narrator but we had no narrator

I agree there’s no official narrator but with the amount of scenes and focus on Osha, its obviously meant to be shown from her perspective.

Regardless, the flashback will be revisited as there just were things throughout the episode that didnt make sense or were too vague. The scar on Torbin was just an example. Headland mentioned liking Rashomon, a japanese film detailing events from different perspectives, so I believe thats what shes trying to do here. I just think the execution wasnt that great.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
was all set to watch on the treadmill at the gym, but had to bail after about 6 minutes. think i'm just gonna listen to the Midnight Boys review instead of watching this

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I seem to be the only person who has no problem with this show :yeshrug:

With the exception of the sequel trilogy. I look at “Star Wars” now the same way I look at “Power.” I just take it for what it is…just don’t go out the way to insult my intelligence.

Yall nikkas hated “Obi-Wan,” “Askoa,” the last few seasons of “Mandoalorian” and the “Boba Fett” show.

Yall hate it….but yall keep watching. :sas1:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Why? Lmao

The Jedi are so lame post phantom menace
Ask Lucas. Phantom menace started the trend of the Jedi being actual monkish cops instead of unstoppable warrior monk. The EU is filled with Jedi that don't do shyt. IIRC the kotor games made fun of how most Jedi don't do anything and are untested in battle.

And so far this show > Kenobi

Conz

Superstar
Daps

With the exception of the sequel trilogy. I look at “Star Wars” now the same way I look at “Power.” I just take it for what it is…just don’t go out the way to insult my intelligence.

Yall nikkas hated “Obi-Wan,” “Askoa,” the last few seasons of “Mandoalorian” and the “Boba Fett” show.

they're reaching "fool me... 5 times, shame on them" territory. everyone seems to like Andor, so i imagine they still have hope. i watched the first 2 of those and had no interest coming back. that's basically been how it's gone. bailed on Mando. Boba Fett stunk but i watched. Had to watch Obi Wan, but it stunk. I watched half of the first episode of Ahsoka and never went back, and i'm probably done here. they don't really have anything on the horizon so, i guess i'm just kinda done with Star Wars. Disney+ officially killed it, imo. i'll be back when they do the inevitable big reboot b/c most people hate them now.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
It's before that. Jedi in ep 4-6 are treated as a myth so even though you are told what they did, you don't really know how they did it. The prequels answered a lot of questions and the end result was more of a "oh, :ld:" or "oh, :patrice:" instead of "yoo :ohhh:". And the more stories we get, the more bleh they become.

There's a ton of cool storytelling options by making the Jedi flawed and not simple good force fighting evil as Lucas initially presented them. But as of today, those compelling opportunities have not been taken full advantage of. We are mostly left with filling in the gaps ourselves to make the movies/TV shows make more sense or be way more compelling that what they actually were on screen.

Star Wars content is trapped in a push and pull battle between simple stories (good vs evil) and more nuanced stories (flawed people trying to find a way to make good in a very complex galaxy) and the majority of time it doesn't find the right balance between them. For every Andor, Clone Wars/Rebels or Mando(S1&2) we get either mid or downright bad stuff (Book of Bobba, ROS)
Honestly the idea of Jedi in the original trilogy was more interesting than what they actually are. When we saw people using the force in the OT it was like :gladbron:. The biggest that that would be cool for the Jedi is diving into the topic of what if one is willing to bend not break. We do see Sol in this show in a Qui-Gon fashion. He doesn't want to wait to discuss something when what they clearly need to do is right in front of them.

I honestly wanted to see in the sequels is how Luke pushed the Jedi to learn from their mistakes. Of course the direction took Luke's character was fukking awful, and we got the shyt we got in Last Jedi.

I feel like at this point there is only so much you can do with the Jedi. They are more boring, but that doesn't excuse the lazy storytelling of them as you said. Even when I played the first two KOTOR games the most interesting thing to me was the Sith. Since the Sith using the power of the dark side leads to unnatural things. You have characters like Bane, Sion, Nihlius and Kreia.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan

I also like this show. I thought this episode did a good job of keeping me engaged without any fight scenes.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I honestly don't have a problem with the show so far. Its main flaw to me isn't the plot or anything like that.
Its the lead actress not being very charismatic, and the child actresses playing her younger self not being very good either.
I mean they went with an extended flashback scene in ashoka too, but i enjoyed the young ashoka actresses take possibly more than i like rosario actually.
Young leia in Obi Wan was great too. But these lil girls aren't good enough to carry extended scenes much less a full episode.
And the grown women hasn't really been all that impressive yet either.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Can bring the whole show down, when the lead characters aren't anybodies favorite.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact that Osha has nothing to do with the Jedi a decade later makes her decision as a child less interesting and just more confusing.

You don't feel like being a Jedi was ever her true calling. She just didn’t want to be a witch and was willing to get off that planet ASAP, and the Jedi just happened to be the first thing that came along.

Either the Jedi did something extremely shady (which seemed to be the implication in the first two episodes, but episode three shows they were just misguided in confronting the Coven, but not necessarily malicious), or Osha is just a drifter with no real purpose in life.