‘The Acolyte' | Star Wars Disney+ series about the rise of the Sith

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
The Star Wars fan base skews towards older men—who the fukk are these shows for then??
Tell that to Disney's $30 billion sw revenue. They seem to believe that most of their star wars paraphernalia, marketed towards kids, are really being consumed by grown men. This sounds like a decades long disastrous accounting oversight.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
]This was another mid range episode to me. A lot of tell and not show. Why is it unsafe to leave the Coven? The galaxy doesn't like them because they are witches but doesn't show why (They only show them using force push and the leader causing Torbin to blackout basically, not enough to show why they are hated). Also the fact Osha wants to be a jedi happens too quickly to be believable.

I have no problem with their interpretation of the force (they're not jedi or sith so makes sense they see it differently) but I don't like the concept of them being born out of the force at will. Why did she stop at 2?

Its also apparent Hedland is trying to show this flashback through Oshas perspective but does a poor job of letting the audience know. Torbin having a scar at the end obviously lets us know that the whole story isnt being told.

Not really excited for the next. :yeshrug: [/SPOILER

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
The "lesbian subtext" was there to directly allude to the witches being able to create life directly from the force. Which is how Anakin came to be. The only Zabrak mother said it. "What will they do when they find out HOW you created them? (the twins.)" The head witch created the twins solely from the Force (which they call "the thread".) and the Zabrak mother carried/gave birth to them.

I'm assuming that potentially the person that is training Mae is
Darth Plageus aka Palpatine's master and the one who taught him how to create life from the force.

I feel you to a certain extent, I generally hate kids in movies/shows unless it is distinctly a kid product. But this aspect of the story needed to be told. Now the hand brake is off.
I mean its not really needed to allude the twins being force born tbh. They flat out say that the twins dont have a father and that the Mother “created” them.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Asking a child actor to carry an episode like this one is just dumb. The poor kid that was playing Osha had an almost impossible task with what she had to do (emoting with her face) and the completely forgettable dialogue.

This is were you can tell the writing is just mediocre at best. As other have pointed out, there's nothing really wrong with what was shown, but there's an inability to make it compelling. So it just ends up being aight/bleh.

This did not feel like an essential episode -you can just catch ep.4 and you'll probably understand just as much as people who saw ep. 3- which is a miss because this was the "exposition dump" ep. and it didn't really contribute much. All that was shown could've been summarized by typical exposition dialogue and a two or three 5 minute flashback scenes.

This felt more CWish than the first two, and I saw a lot of complaints that the premiere felt too much like a CW show :francis:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
And yeah, why did Osha wanted to be a Jedi anyway? They had 30+ minutes and they couldn't show us her reading a Jedi book or something? Yes, I get she's different and feels forced to part of the Coven and is basically searching for anything to make her not take that route. But going from a Coven to be a Jedi Padawan makes little sense given the context we were given.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
]This was another mid range episode to me. A lot of tell and not show. Why is it unsafe to leave the Coven? The galaxy doesn't like them because they are witches but doesn't show why (They only show them using force push and the leader causing Torbin to blackout basically, not enough to show why they are hated). Also the fact Osha wants to be a jedi happens too quickly to be believable.

I have no problem with their interpretation of the force (they're not jedi or sith so makes sense they see it differently) but I don't like the concept of them being born out of the force at will. Why did she stop at 2?

Its also apparent Hedland is trying to show this flashback through Oshas perspective but does a poor job of letting the audience know. Torbin having a scar at the end obviously lets us know that the whole story isnt being told.

Not really excited for the next. :yeshrug: [/SPOILER
The episodes isn’t from Osha’s perspective is part of the problem. We are seeing conversations she wouldn’t know.

The perspective just shifts a couple times when necessary.

Some stuff about the coven’s predicament i’m guessing will be revealed once we get into how and why the twins were created.

The whole episode had unreliable narrator but we had no narrator

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Asking a child actor to carry an episode like this one is just dumb. The poor kid that was playing Osha had an almost impossible task with what she had to do (emoting with her face) and the completely forgettable dialogue.

This is were you can tell the writing is just mediocre at best. As other have pointed out, there's nothing really wrong with what was shown, but there's an inability to make it compelling. So it just ends up being aight/bleh.

This did not feel like an essential episode -you can just catch ep.4 and you'll probably understand just as much as people who saw ep. 3- which is a miss because this was the "exposition dump" ep. and it didn't really contribute much. All that was shown could've been summarized by typical exposition dialogue and a two or three 5 minute flashback scenes.

This felt more CWish than the first two, and I saw a lot of complaints that the premiere felt too much like a CW show :francis:
While i agree it was too much heavy lifting for kids, I think the episode is kind of important as in any mystery you get what everyone thinks happened before you pull it apart and things you thought you knew are upended.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
Ngl, this actually didn't feel like cheap LGBTQ pandering because it'd be interesting if they always used the magic to produce kids.

Let's not pretend that the amazonians from wonder woman aren't scissoring every night.

Still, the black woman hitting the alien lady with "bytch I'm the one that dikked you down" was :russ:

Off topic, but it's also :hubie: when these shows use lesbians for the LGBTQ card. When it's fruity men, I get the urge to switch the channel/skip past.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
While i agree it was too much heavy lifting for kids, I think the episode is kind of important as in any mystery you get what everyone thinks happened before you pull it apart and things you thought you knew are upended.
Idk breh

I already knew Osha and Mae were very difference and that Sol had a Qui Gon/Anakin relationship with Osha. Everything else we saw in ep. 3 will get explained again in some form or they will add more to what we saw.

With what I was given in ep.3 I would've taken just 15 minutes of it and the test of the episode continuing to build to wards what comes next.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was not worth spending 30+ minutes on this flashback for the end result we got. For a whole episode dedicated to this backstory, I needed waay more. Not one memorable thing happened. Not 1 quotable. Not 1 scene that truly tells me about one of these characters being worth following, You get where I'm coming from?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Idk what's more damaging, the fact the Jedi were actually a burocratic police force (don't ask me how) or that they were a creepy cult that were taking children away to train them in their ways :mjcry:
honestly the whole shyt got slightly lamer when they had a galactic senate hearing during a star wars movie :rudy:

I didn't pay $20 to watch Star Wars C-SPAN :unimpressed:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Idk breh

I already knew Osha and Mae were very difference and that Sol had a Qui Gon/Anakin relationship with Osha. Everything else we saw in ep. 3 will get explained again in some form or they will add more to what we saw.

With what I was given in ep.3 I would've taken just 15 minutes of it and the test of the episode continuing to build to wards what comes next.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was not worth spending 30+ minutes on this flashback for the end result we got. For a whole episode dedicated to this backstory, I needed waay more. Not one memorable thing happened. Not 1 quotable. Not 1 scene that truly tells me about one of these characters being worth following, You get where I'm coming from?
i agree it would have benefited from actually framing it within Mae and Osha present to Mae and Osha in the past.

But I think the episode‘s main focus was to set up the Coven in relation to the Jedi. In comparison to Anakin or Luke, Osha wasn’t being taken away from some dead end life of servitude. Plus the stuff about their birth could only have been told by two women who are supposedly dead.

The Jedi were chasing a coven outside of their jurisdiction and apparently lied to the Jedi Order about Osha having a twin for some reason.

There only two of the four Jedi left. I’m assuming the Wookie is going to have information that either Sol, Mae, or Osha don’t know about that that night so the stopped the series momentum to give some context to the mission.