The 2019 Baltimore Ravens Thread

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The Baltimore Ravens can double their current salary-cap room before free agency begins March 9.

The Ravens just need to make their biggest cap purge in 15 years to do so.

Baltimore, which currently has $15.3 million in cap room (fifth-fewest in the NFL), can create an additional $20.3 million in space with a half-dozen moves. The Ravens would need to cut linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($6 million in savings), safety Lardarius Webb ($5.5 million), cornerback Shareece Wright ($2.6 million), center Jeremy Zuttah ($2.3 million), cornerback Kyle Arrington ($2.1 million) and safety Kendrick Lewis ($1.8 million).

This would mark a drastically different offseason for the Ravens, who haven't released more than four players before the start of free agency since 2002.

"Everything is on the table," coach John Harbaugh said about potential cap cuts at the end of the season. "Absolutely, everything has to be on the table, in terms of how we can improve. The financial part of it is a big piece of it."

Right now, the Ravens only have more cap room than four teams: the Dallas Cowboys ($13 million over), New York Jets ($8.7 million over), Kansas City Chiefs ($5.2 million under) and Philadelphia Eagles ($9.6 million under). In order to improve an 8-8 team, Baltimore needs to create more cap space to try to keep a top free agent (nose tackle Brandon Williams and offensive tackle Rick Wagner), add a veteran cornerback, fill the void left by retired wide receiver Steve Smith and potentially replace Dumervil and Webb if they're cut.

Dumervil has become a prime candidate to get released because of his cap number ($8.375 million) -- fourth-highest on the team -- as well as his age (33) and declining sack numbers (career-worst three last season). Webb is another potential target because of his cap figure ($7.5 million) and an uneven season in his first year as a safety.

The other likely cap-cutting decisions include Zuttah, who was inconsistent as an undersized center; Wright, who struggled more than any other Ravens defender; Arrington, who spent all of last season on injured reserve; and Lewis, who lost his starting safety job and was placed on IR last October.

The Ravens could decide to cut more players. Parting ways with wide receiver Mike Wallace ($5.75 million) and tight end Ben Watson ($3 million) would open up an additional $8.75 million.

Baltimore could also choose to not let go of as many players. The Ravens might hold on to Webb, who played better toward the end of the season.

Traditionally, the Ravens don't start making their cuts until the end of February. Baltimore hasn't released many players for cap purposes recently. Only eight Ravens players were cut or traded before the start of free agency over the previous four offseasons.

Baltimore's biggest upheaval recently occurred in 2011, when the team cut tight end Todd Heap, wide receiver Derrick Mason, nose tackle Kelly Gregg and running back Willis McGahee.

But the greatest cap purge in team history came in 2002, when the Ravens released 10 players, including two future Hall of Fame players (safety Rod Woodson and tight end Shannon Sharpe) as well as defensive tackles Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa, wide receiver Qadry Ismail, defensive end Rob Burnett and fullback Sam Gash.

The Ravens aren't expected to match that number of cuts this offseason. But Baltimore will need to part ways with more than a handful of players to create much-needed cap room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-r...alary-cap-room-with-biggest-purge-in-15-years

So we only have 15 mill in cap space :snoop:

We can free up another 20 by cutting Doom,Webb,Zuttah,Shareece Wright,Kyle Arrington,and Kendrick Lewis

IMO all 6 of them should be and better be cut before free agency starts

That would give us 35 mill

We could free up even more money by cutting Ben Watson and Pitta

The article suggests cutting Mile Wallace to save 5.5 mill but that would be stupid,cut Pitta instead of him

We could potentially have almost 50 mill in cap space if Ozzie stops being loyal to mediocre players and cuts all the dead weight

Now watch we only end up cutting maybe 2 of those guys :snoop:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Blow it up
None of the players named are impact players anyway

I wouldn't even consider cutting all those guys "blowing it up"

All of them deserve to be and should be cut

It just sucks that our coaches are terrible so none of our young players will really progress until they're gone

Outside of the draft im really not looking forward to Ravens football in 2017 but we all should be happy by the end of the year

We'll either be in the playoffs or this whole coaching staff will be gone

Either way its a win for us fans

mr heyzel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Md
Steve Smith: Brandon Marshall a 'good fit' for Ravens

Around the NFL

Steve Smith: Brandon Marshall a 'good fit' for Ravens

facebook_icon.svg

twitter_icon.svg

email_icon.svg

Print
  • By Jeremy Bergman NFL.com
  • Published: March 4, 2017 at 10:12 a.m.
  • Updated: March 4, 2017 at 10:53 a.m.

The Baltimore Ravens are short a veteran presence outside the numbers, but their second-leading receiver from 2016 knows who can fill his shoes.

Retired receiver Steve Smith, now spending his days dropping glorious one-liners during NFL Network's combine coverage, mused Friday on Baltimore's shoddy receiver depth, suggesting that impending free agent Brandon Marshall should be a target for the team.

"I think (Marshall) would be a good fit," Smith told the Ravens' website. "Actually, me and B. Marshall talked last week and he kind of gave me a heads up on some things.

"I think he would be a great fit because he's a playmaker. At the end of the day, you need playmakers. You need a lot of horses in the stable and you can never have too many playmakers on one team or one side of the ball."

Set to be released by Jets this week, Marshall has made it clear that his next destination will have to be in contention for a Super Bowl. Baltimore was one Antonio Brown touchdown away from winning the AFC North last season and should be more than competitive in the division again.

Marshall might also be intrigued by the leadership of John Harbaugh and the veteran presence of Joe Flacco, a consistent, if not elite quarterback.

The wideout is just two seasons removed from a 1,500-yard campaign when, with solid quarterback play, he outworked corners and was an absolute force in the red zone. If Marshall can regain that form with a QB like Flacco, that would be a boon for the Ravens, who are in the market for that type of commanding athlete on the flanks.

Rob's al Ghul

LOCKin' 'em down in the home of the Terrapins
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
410/301/202

How would yall feel about Torrey coming back?

I liked Torrey a lot when he was here but if he came back he'd just be another WR who doesn't exist outside of 1-2 catches a game.
More than that though, I'm not sure if he's a fit if we've already got Wallace and Perriman here. If Wallace is a eventual cap casualty then yeah, I could see it, but otherwise it's kind of redundant having all three of them...need a hands guy like Jeffery/Marshall/Garcon in there. Nobody could draw those deep PIs like Torrey, though.

You cooled on Cook, @STAN JONES ? I noticed your avi.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Don't really want him back. I'd honestly take Brandon Marshall over him (bigger more physical target).

Breshard can handle the run deep and draw PI routes that he and Joe loved so much.
Id rather have Marshall too. They need a proven player in the offense. He has size and can go get it. Its time to take the kid gloves off Perriman on the other side

Daps
Who do you guys like at CB/DB now that combine is over?

I really like Malik Hooker. But do we go with CB vs S with first pick?

Buddha Baker, S - impressive but a bit undersized
Sidney Jones , CB - same as Baker
Marshon Lattimore, CB - injury prone and probably gone by the time we pick

I don't trust bama cb's so I'm not really high on Marlon Humphrey