That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
People do underestimate what Naughty brought to the game for real. I mean when O.P.P. hit it was over. The song was big, Naughty gear was all over the place. Just the term O.P.P. in itself was crazy... people still use it today. I’m appreciating all the knowledge being dropped in here... this is the Coli at its best.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
"We hailin from East Oakland California and it ummmm gets a lil hectic out there..."

Who else goin to Hiero Day September, 7th in Oakland? I'll be at that muthafukka:pachaha:

Hiero, Little Brother, Spice 1...Richie Rich killed it last year. Del, Dead Prez, and Ras Kass the year before....

Yall ain't really about this hip hop shyt no more....Muthafukkaz done lived ate and breathed this shyt since base rocks and troop jackets.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
He's right about Cube. Cube is 1 of my GOATs but facts are facts. Pac switched up 2
@ dat time but Cube was way worse.

When he did AMW it was basically a westcoast P.E. album. U mite give him a slight pass 4 dat cuz
he was workin w/ The Bomb Squad (P.E.'s producers) & the subject matter wasnt 2 far off from what he usually spat. Classic album nontheless.

Around '93 came the real switch tho. Grew an afro, his style became more laidback, rapped more about
smokin weed. All of dis cuz it was trending.

We know about the east vs. west issues in '95-'96, w/ 2pac being the front face of it. Here comes Cube & drops "Bow Down" goin @ the east w/ WC & Mack. Great album nontheless.

When P/No Limit hit '97? Now it's Don Mega & the sound & look was identical to No Limit's.
how can you accuse someone of doing something trendy that they helped invent :gucci:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
fukk u talkin bout?

How 2pac gon call cube out, 2pac is guilty of switching his style up from political/conscious rapper to fake super dupper thuggin. Y'all nikkas kill me

this is cube in 1988

:gucci:

Cube got clowned because he made AMW and then went right back to the typical gangster shyt for sales.

SoSoSlick

Still gettin it!
Daps
Reppin
PG County
The worst had to be the UMCs. Them nikkas was rappin about Blue Cheese and went from

61hiyy85LhL._SX355_.jpg

To

71uz-64L3LL._SX355_.jpg

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
fukk u talkin bout?

How 2pac gon call cube out, 2pac is guilty of switching his style up from political/conscious rapper to fake super dupper thuggin. Y'all nikkas kill me

this is cube in 1988

:gucci:

Exactly. We really on here acting like ice cube wasn't the main Lyricist behind the original gangsta rap group in nwa???

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Redman and the OG Hit Squad was very influential in that switch too..

I was wondering how many pages it was gonna take before it got to this... glad somebody did... this is on-point.

On the East Coast, that whole '93 wave was mostly brought on by what the Hit Squad and Naughty were doing in '91/'92... Onyx influenced it as well, they were the most over-the-top with it. That is where most of the NY dudes were switching up their look/sound to reflect. The Death Row influence was there, but that was mostly on the West/South artists than anything. On the East, Death Row's influence was moreso in those who chose to get a lil' more laidback, and some of whom went waaaaay too far in tryin' to grab a West Coast fanbase, like:

:mjlol:

Also, some of these changes were just due to natural change... nobody in '93 was still dressing/rapping the same way they did in '88, cause shyt was YEARS ago... rap used to change so much back then, anybody who kept doin' the same thing over and over was destined to get passed by, so they had to always change and keep up with the pace. Unless they wanted to become the kinda dudes who thought they were so dope they didn't have to change, and then we got shyt like this:

These brehs were rappin' like this when Naughty By Nature, Cube, PE, EPMD, Cypress Hill were poppin'... how you think this record did? :mjlol: This is what happens when you keep sticking to the script while the whole rap game is changing.

Even some of the examples bein' used in this thread... those weren't the first 'hardcore' records some of these dudes made, they were just some of the first times you saw them (or the label) really pushing it forward because of what was happening. Some of the imagery in the videos was different because everybody was basically makin' the same video around that time, lol. I didn't even pay much mind to it, but now I see what my mother was talkin' about when I was watchin' Rap City- 90% of the fukin' videos made around '92/'93 looked the damn same... the NY shyts were basically hoodies, Carhartt, and a lotta nikkas jumpin' around outside somewhere. The Cali vids were lowriders, khakis, and nikkas partyin'.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I was wondering how many pages it was gonna take before it got to this... glad somebody did... this is on-point.

On the East Coast, that whole '93 wave was mostly brought on by what the Hit Squad and Naughty were doing in '91/'92... Onyx influenced it as well, they were the most over-the-top with it. That is where most of the NY dudes were switching up their look/sound to reflect. The Death Row influence was there, but that was mostly on the West/South artists than anything. On the East, Death Row's influence was moreso in those who chose to get a lil' more laidback, and some of whom went waaaaay too far in tryin' to grab a West Coast fanbase, like:

:mjlol:

Also, some of these changes were just due to natural change... nobody in '93 was still dressing/rapping the same way they did in '88, cause shyt was YEARS ago... rap used to change so much back then, anybody who kept doin' the same thing over and over was destined to get passed by, so they had to always change and keep up with the pace. Unless they wanted to become the kinda dudes who thought they were so dope they didn't have to change, and then we got shyt like this:

These brehs were rappin' like this when Naughty By Nature, Cube, PE, EPMD, Cypress Hill were poppin'... how you think this record did? :mjlol: This is what happens when you keep sticking to the script while the whole rap game is changing.

Even some of the examples bein' used in this thread... those weren't the first 'hardcore' records some of these dudes made, they were just some of the first times you saw them (or the label) really pushing it forward because of what was happening. Some of the imagery in the videos was different because everybody was basically makin' the same video around that time, lol. I didn't even pay much mind to it, but now I see what my mother was talkin' about when I was watchin' Rap City- 90% of the fukin' videos made around '92/'93 looked the damn same... the NY shyts were basically hoodies, Carhartt, and a lotta nikkas jumpin' around outside somewhere. The Cali vids were lowriders, khakis, and nikkas partyin'.

Pure facts.

Another record that played a big role in the shift was Scenario and especially the remix.

The lyrics wasn’t as “hardcore”, but the beats and energy were definitely a precursor to a lot of shyt that followed.

:wow:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
So if Onyx, NWA, Death Row, etc are responsible for the shift to gangsta/hardcore rap, would Diddy be responsible for lightening the hip hop climate back up? 92-94 is a stark contrast from 96-97. Honestly, 92-00 feels like 3 or 4 different eras

Yeap... I think I posted about this before, but the NY vibe had pretty much become strictly slower, darker, harder music by '94... with your occasional party vibe here and there. Puff was from the party era of the late-80s/very early-90s so his whole thing was that he wanted there to be more upbeat shyt happenin' in NY. I saw an interview before where he was like it's time to bring some flavor back, cut out all this nikkas starin' each other down and holdin' up the wall in the club, make some shyt the women wanna dance to, etc... that was his whole thing around then. Thats the thing that, to me, makes that decade such an exciting thing... there was always something new happening- rap never stayed in one spot for too long. It even happened to Bad Boy by the time it got to the end of the decade- most people didn't know shyt about Ruff Ryders or Cash Money when Bad Boy was killin' in '97 but by the time you get to the end of '99, they were killin' and Bad Boy was heading into the background.