That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
This is the pressure of the music biz.

Follow the trends or have ur label put u in the backburner. Always been dat way.

Thats my issue with the mainstream. Hip-hop's a young street/hood culture, but with anything young it's always about trends.

So they'll always have others define whats "in" or what to do, rather then whats "THEM". Makes it hard for artists to find identities & us to have variety.

Last edited:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Id say Snoop and Dre for the West and Onyx and Naughty By Nature for the East.. Will was emulating Treach heavily on Boom Shake the room

Thread title says hardcore and that’s what got nikkas confused.

If we talkin Gangsta shyt, yeah the West got that.

But if we’re talking Hardcore shyt (which is what this thread is about) that’s Onyx and Naughty too.

Good call.

nikkas either don’t know or sleep on the impact Onyx had when they came out.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just saying

Nah I can't agree with this. Around the time "I Love You Rakeem" came out RZA was on trial for attempted murder. He was really in the streets. But hard core shyt wasn't "on" yet in 1991 so he tried to be a sex symbol.

By the time '92, '93 rolled around the type of music he wanted to make in the first place was actually popular, so he went with that. That's not the same as Heavy D or Will Smith just randomly deciding to be hard core.

Fred.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
R-436919-1311283622.jpeg.jpg

nikkaz4Life is what really caused the shift. First hardcore rap album to go #1 on Billboard. It changed the game in the music business. The influence of N4L shifted everything. This is when the parental advisory sticker on your album made your album cooler then the ones thst didnt have it. I dont know how this album is so overlooked decades later when it was a big deal back in 1991. When Cube left NWA so did the consciousness of their music...Thats why the lyrics are so over the top. The beats sounded "Evil" and dark. It was the opposite of what PE was doing. PE dropped a dud the same year so thats when this album won by default as the most influential that year. You had Cypress Hill coming out that same year doing a Latino version of this album.All Tim Dog did was the same thing KRS and 50 Cent did and that was aim at the top because NWAs influence was undeniable.The same with Luke when he dissed NWA. This was the album that had Will Smith saying we need to take a break from all the hardcore dance thats gotten outta control....He wasnt talking about Hammer when he said that. 1992 was the bridge between the nikkaz4life influence, thats why you see the game start changing late 1992. The movie CB4 was all about NWAs nikkaz4Life influence. NYC drug dealer rap was the east coasts response to West Coast gangster rap.

Repped. There was still a balance up to this point but it def started changing around that time.

Then a few years later you see the crossover becoming acceptable shift....

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Trap from last decade is not the same trap music now

agreed if you'r talking tempo or sonic palet/presets,but thats like saying the branch came to be without a tree to lay the foundation,one has to come first for the other to exist.The tree is still the foundation and in this specific case stylistic variations do not dilute my point

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Ahh the Simpler Times:banderas:I would "Blame" Onyx and NBN for that Transistion on the East Coast. Yeah Death Row/West Coast was getting Hot but I thought the Rapping Styles of the Posted Videos reflected those of Onyx, Das EFX and Treach more than a Snoop or Dre

Thank you.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
That's crazy. Who's responsible for that shift?

Btw tribe called quest is a example of a group that didn't switch their style up but stayed relevant

Midnight Marauders 93 :wow:
But they definetly went with a darker tone the following album though.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
agreed if you'r talking tempo or sonic palet/presets,but thats like saying the branch came to be without a tree to lay the foundation,one has to come first for the other to exist.The tree is still the foundation and in this specific case stylistic variations do not dilute my point
It’s hard to claim the Jeezy, Ross, Gucci trap music is the same trap music that Future, young thug make

Beats are different, flows are different

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Even cube was guilty of this. He was never a soft rapper by any means, but he went from a political rapper to super gangster. I think 2pac and Monster kody called him out on it.

Cube helped put Gangsta rap to the forefront. Pac was mad at Cube for riding the coattail of the the east vs west for the sake of being cool.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
So did De La with "Stakes Is High". But it still fit who they were.

Fred.
They’re a great example cause they went rougher at least for them but they didn’t sound or look forced. They looked like dudes that were just fed up with the direction of where hiphop was heading. The Stakes Is High album might be one of the greatest displays of shifting with the times but not actually losing yourself and looking corny while doing that.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Just saying

It’s funny cause in this song you can hear the blueprint being set for what RZA would actually become. I mean the production sounds like it could’ve became some Gravediggaz shyt to me and RZA don’t really sound much different than he does now.. he was just trying to fit in with what was going on. I mean Jay got several passes over the years on the way to becoming what he became... I think we can let RZA have this one lol.