That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
NYC drug dealer rap was the east coasts response to West Coast gangster rap.

yeah, I was about to post this. In real life outside of rap, while urban west coast streets was represented by gang banging, NYC/East Coast streets was represented by "drug kingpins"/hustler and stick up kids. That's why NYC "gangsta" rap, came up with mafioso rap. The music was going to reflect that at some point, even if Death Row wasn't popping.

deleteuser101

Superstar
Daps
That Gangsta shyt made the industry do a 360... Look at Run DMC:

Mc Hammer:

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

Even Vanilla Ice switched his whole shyt and tried to rap like Das Efx

:mjlol::russ:

:ohhh: I never heard none of this shyt before. It’s like the hip hop historians kept 93 rap hid under a rock.

Man that was a cringe year :russ:

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
We went from brothers and sisters to nikkas and bytches

X-Clan,Arrested Development,Queen Latifah,Brand Nubian,KRS had that Positive Black Man/Black Woman,back To Africa Flow on Lock

*remembers 10-11 Year Old Me Fighting wit my Sister(14-15) for them African and Peace Sign Medallions and "X" or Black Bart Simpson Shirts/Hoodies*

:mjcry:

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
93 even had cac boy band lookalike rap groups go from this

Young_Black_Teenagers.jpg

To this....:scust:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Friend of mine actually wrote a piece on how tempo changes and the decline in the traditional club scene led to the rise of an era were dancing/clubbing kind of lost its edge to street culture and began to inmpact how people interacted with the music.The tempo and energy shift also made the need for signature dances pretty much DOA since the music was more about attitude then actually made to make people dance,a stark contrast with,for examle the early 80's up to the New Jack Swing era in the late eighthies when the line between R&B and hip hop was still very much in place.Something similar happened in the late 70's when electronic devices like drum computers and sequencing made their way into traditional R&B,the tone and attitude changed along with chord structures which changed the way people danced and interacted with the music.That era were everybody was trying to adjust is a staple in hip hop and how it keeps itself from becoming stagnant.This period(808/AABB/ABAB rhymeschemes,autotune,melodic structures around bounce) is the longest running style of production and style we've seen and shows no signs of letting up.I think it will take a big shift in attitude to get trap'ish style hip hop out of here.

Trap from last decade is not the same trap music now

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Wow...I knew about the big transition that took place in Rap once Death Row, Onyx and Das Efx blew up but hearing most of these songs for the first time....Jesus:deadmanny:

Seeing the OGs trying to transition and stay relevant was a stuggle:flabbynsick::dead:

I had no idea that Will Smith song existed. Breh had on all that tough gear and still looked harmless.:pachaha:

LL Cool J helping nikkas steal 40zs:russ:

RnB singers singing about raping females:why:

Man that's why I wished my pops was still around so I can talk to him about this era of hip hop. I was born in 91 so I didn't see all this going on but props for the history/education being dropped.

Now I see why Common was unsatisfied with hip hop at that time.

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps
Ahh the Simpler Times:banderas:I would "Blame" Onyx and NBN for that Transistion on the East Coast. Yeah Death Row/West Coast was getting Hot but I thought the Rapping Styles of the Posted Videos reflected those of Onyx, Das EFX and Treach more than a Snoop or Dre
Onyx definitely switched up with the bald head. Fredro had a blonde s-curl.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That Run DMC shyt Is Soooo Bad Man lol

Never let a punk get away with murder
Gun shots, gun shots, all you heard-a
What's up? What's up? What's the word up?
Press your luck or buck another sucker just ducked
Ooh, whatcha gonna do [Repeat x4]
A vain from my brain means I'm causin' 'em pain
Comin' rough with the stuff that's just a part of the game
The rhymes have been hard since the start of the jam
So I'ma pull my jammy out and I'ma murder the man

shyt Sound Like It Was Written For A Parody Of Hip Hop

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
It's always funny watching Unsung and seeing artists complain about the shift as if they weren't right there trying to go hardcore themselves. I do wonder outside of Tribe which artists actually didn't make the transition and stayed just as successful. In a lot of cases the ones who were left behind also saw a decline in the quality of their music and instead of pointing to that as the reason for their falloff they blame everything going hardcore.