That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Pure facts.

Another record that played a big role in the shift was Scenario and especially the remix.

The lyrics wasn’t as “hardcore”, but the beats and energy were definitely a precursor to a lot of shyt that followed.

:wow:

"Shout Rap", as some people call it... that whole posse cut vibe with the LOUD hook and the adlibs and 40 nikkas in the background... so many people were doin' that afterwards.

LA SCHMOOVE! We dont got nothin' to proooove!

WHO GOT THE PROPS! WHO GOT THE PROPS!

EVERY ONYX HOOK :pachaha:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Yeah, I came in here to bring up LL. On that whole "14 Shots" album that nikka was on some ridiculous gun talk shyt. :camby:

Wild thing about that... after all that loudness and gun talk...

the most remembered songs off that album were still "Back Seat of My Jeep" and "Pink Cookies" :russ: Which proves LL was jumpin' outta character for nothing and probably woulda had a more successful album if he'd tried not to be the grimiest nikka ever.

Also I think he was tryin' to resurrect that "Mama Said Knock You Out" energy... but this wasn't "I exploooode and my nine is easy to loooooad!". It was "rockabye baby on the rooftop, open up ya mouth and taste the GLOCKKKK"... :mjlol: nobody's takin' that seriously.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Id say Snoop and Dre for the West and Onyx and Naughty By Nature for the East.. Will was emulating Treach heavily on Boom Shake the room
Agreed

Can’t front though, my head was rocking to most of these joints posted. Only one I didn’t listen to at all was that Vanilla Ice shyt:mjgrin:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
"Shout Rap", as some people call it... that whole posse cut vibe with the LOUD hook and the adlibs and 40 nikkas in the background... so many people were doin' that afterwards.

LA SCHMOOVE! We dont got nothin' to proooove!

WHO GOT THE PROPS! WHO GOT THE PROPS!

EVERY ONYX HOOK :pachaha:

Exactly! :ehh:

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
The thing about Bad Boy is that you can never count em out. Yeah puff's crew was fading out in 99 but then in late 00-01 they made a STRONG comeback with a different vibe but still on that fun sh*t while maintaining street cred ala Black Rob, Shyne, G-Dep. The bs part is that they couldn't stay out of trouble, but Bad Boy never really fizzled. They reinvented themselves every single time (well puff being the captain of course). For better or worse, French montana has been carrying the label now for half a decade, Puff knows when to switch up even if he doesn't put 100% in the label as much these days. :takedat:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing about Bad Boy is that you can never count em out. Yeah puff's crew was fading out in 99 but then in late 00-01 they made a STRONG comeback with a different vibe but still on that fun sh*t while maintaining street cred ala Black Rob, Shyne, G-Dep. The bs part is that they couldn't stay out of trouble, but Bad Boy never really fizzled. They reinvented themselves every single time (well puff being the captain of course). For better or worse, French montana has been carrying the label now for half a decade, Puff knows when to switch up even if he doesn't put 100% in the label as much these days. :takedat:

This.

The thing with Puff is that when Ruff Ryders was hot, he tried to embrace the bad guy that he spent so much of the previous years running away from. Puff tried to adopt this hard image that he was never able to sell. It had the opposite effect especially when it bleed over into reality and him and Shyne got charged at the tail end of '99. Puff did some serious re-branding and Bad Boy having a strong 2000 and 2001 was :whew: to witness. He even changed his name from Puff Daddy to P. Diddy.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
It's always funny watching Unsung and seeing artists complain about the shift as if they weren't right there trying to go hardcore themselves. I do wonder outside of Tribe which artists actually didn't make the transition and stayed just as successful. In a lot of cases the ones who were left behind also saw a decline in the quality of their music and instead of pointing to that as the reason for their falloff they blame everything going hardcore.

De la Soul & Pete Rock & CL Smooth managed to stay themselves and make quality. De La's sales dipped though.

Gang Starr definitely went more hardcore on 'Hard To Earn'.

KMD went harder on Black b*stards.

Souls of Mischief tried on those heavy town accents and went darker on 'No Man's Land'.

Show & AG went VERY dark on 'Goodfellas'.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Major props OP. That’s actually the first time I’ve see those RUN DMC, Vanilla Ice, and Fresh Prince vids, and lmaooo. That shift was both good and bad. Bad cause it basically took away high energy dancing and replaced it with mean mugging, and good cause it made for a lot of simply dope music. I love to dance even today, but harder more aggressive songs is what I gravitate more to.
Hammer video they dancing they’re ass off. Fresh prince tried to make a dance although it looked wack as hell. Far as the lyrical content only fresh prince stayed true not talking about hardcore shyt.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

This was from the guys that acommpanied Teddy Reily on "New Jack Swin" and "Rump Shaker"

:yeshrug: this was same album as Rump Shaker and My Cutie, so it wasn't like they tried to do some dramatic shift. Album was called 'Hard Or Smooth', so...

but... another good example of how damn near every video around that time was about the same.