That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Robbo

All Star
Daps
it’s crazy cuz it wasn’t just the industry either...on the streets everybody was tryna look/act hardcore...nikkas went the rest of the decade w/o smiling lol...this is why '93 til infinity (album) was such a breath of fresh air for me

if you see any old pictures from the 90's, nobody is smiling haha, that shyt is crazy.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
That Run DMC video:deadmanny:

DMC is literally one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.. he don’t look like he would hurt a fly in this video lol. He looked more tough in their old school look
150827180435-01-fresh-dressed-hip-hop-fashion-restricted-super-169.jpg

I still laugh at them trying to change it up even though Down with the king is my shyt

Down wit the King was a banger... true

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
Yes like someone said earlier, this was the spark as to why Common made "I used to love H.E.R." as to clear the confusion for some young brehs on why Common made a song like that in the "Golden era".

Also, it's no secret that the ones that survived this era were the ones with the SMOOTH FLOW. All that ra ra sh*t aged real quick once the smoke cleared and biggie got word real quick that that high pitch hardcore onxy flow was not gonna fly once 95 was about to hit so he switched that sh*t up to what you guys know for him now or remember him going out as. Once Busta calmed his a*s down, he started getting in tune with the ladies and his career kept going cuz PUFF told him the same exact thing. Nas, Jigga, LL (once he got it in his dome that no, none of that forced tough guy sh*t was gonna fly) all had the smooth flow which is what hip hop's longevity was key to. The reason why Mase blew up, the reason why people we're f*cking with Fabolous. Actually let me take it a step further, being the "Cool guy" without looking like you trying was the key in all of this. That made you look authentic. That's what Jay-Z mastered. Yes we all know he's a socially awkward person, but his smooth delivery is what made you believe the guy was some type of Joe Cool rhymer (no pun :mjlol:). Everyone else that kept on doing the HARDCORE yell flow fizzled out quick! :picard:

The main reason why Snoop blew up and became what he became. No need to yell at anyone, smooth was the way to be :wow:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
The thing with Cube was he was always a hardcore rapper, but he was never really on that G-Funk shyt. His rhymes were always more angry and sarcastic. He started rapping more smooth and relaxed after Snoop and them started blowing up.

Boom! Shake the Room is hilarious cuz it's Will dressing harder but still basically kicking party raps

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, shorty.

You’re twisting up all the hip hop knowledge you got from magazines and the internet.

:martin:

You got me fukked up. I been a HipHop head since the 80s. I seen the shift happen when NWA and Gangsta rap blew up. That’s what this topic is about!

Onyx caused the shift

:camby:

You are the ONLY person in here saying that stupid shyt. You gotta be bored and trolling right now.

I’m done responding.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
thread is hilarious... lol

damn man... my 80s brehs just couldnt transition

shyt was pretty sad cause NWA album intro Ren came out swinging on them and put the nail in the coffin for most 70s & 80s rappers. “BEEN RAPPIN SINCE THE 70s AND STILL NEVER WENT GOLD” NWA was like when Tyson hit the scene as the new boxing kid knocking fools out. So when Ren dissed the old school with this brand new sound the 90s era kind of threw the 70s & 80s rappers in the trash can and was loving the NWA west coast negative sound and record companies seen that and started scrambling for aggressive Gangsta acts to sign. Some 80s rappers survived by trying to do the hardcore thing but you can see they did a song or album and quickly threw in the towel cause it just wasn’t them. That’s why all of sudden rappers become more aggressive and negative cause that was the trending thing to do at that time. My bad for the long rant but some people here wasn’t born yet and need to know how the shift happened.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We went from brothers and sisters to nikkas and bytches

And 93 was that fork in the road. That year Latifah said "Who you calling a bytch?"....Dre and Snoop said "Byctches aint shyt but hoes and tricks"......That was the fork in the road and which direction did the culture take? towards Latifah or Dre and Snoop? We all know the answer.

Calling a Black woman a "bytch" was some street /ghetto/low class shyt....outside of the streets it was a term of disrespect. Once 99 came in an Missy was calling herself a bytch and Eve had a song dedicated to her "B*tches" and it was official that the hip hop influence had now created the term as endearment for Black women.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
shyt was pretty sad cause NWA album intro Ren came out swinging on them and put the nail in the coffin for most 70s & 80s rappers. “BEEN RAPPIN SINCE THE 70s AND STILL NEVER WENT GOLD” NWA was like when Tyson hit the scene as the new boxing kid knocking fools out. So when Ren dissed the old school with this brand new sound the 90s era kind of threw the 70s & 80s rappers in the trash can and was loving the NWA west coast negative sound and record companies seen that and started scrambling for aggressive Gangsta acts to sign. Some 80s rappers survived by trying to do the hardcore thing but you can see they did a song or album and quickly threw in the towel cause it just wasn’t them. That’s why all of sudden rappers become more aggressive and negative cause that was the trending thing to do at that time. My bad for the long rant but some people here wasn’t born yet and need to know how the shift happened.
good read

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
Polarizing thread with a lot of facts.

From 86 to 96, the game went from sugar to shyt” - 50 Cent

Meanwhile 98% of my All-Time favorite Hip Hop albums were released between 94-97. Bone Thugs, Snoop, Pac, Outkast, Big, Jay, Nas, No Limit, Cash Money, Three 6 Mafia were my introduction to Rap. You’ll NEVER convince me that time period wasn’t the Greatest. Subjective perspectives rooted in what each of us grew up on.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
And 93 was that fork in the road. That year Latifah said "Who you calling a bytch?"....Dre and Snoop said "Byctches aint shyt but hoes and tricks"......That was the fork in the road and which direction did the culture take? towards Latifah or Dre and Snoop? We all know the answer.

Calling a Black woman a "bytch" was some street /ghetto/low class shyt....outside of the streets it was a term of disrespect. Once 99 came in an Missy was calling herself a bytch and Eve had a song dedicated to her "B*tches" and it was official that the hip hop influence had now created the term as endearment for Black women.
Damn.. that’s a good ass point. I remember when UNITY came out.. that was a big deal at the time. Like the emotion and passion Latifah put in that song... shyt sounded like went right to the studio and put it all out there right after some shyt happened to her. Great post man

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
:martin:

You got me fukked up. I been a HipHop head since the 80s. I seen the shift happen when NWA and Gangsta rap blew up. That’s what this topic is about!

Onyx caused the shift

:camby:

You are the ONLY person in here saying that stupid shyt. You gotta be bored and trolling right now.

I’m done responding.

I was done before we started.

This isn’t a debate, it’s an education.

And I suggest you actually read the thread if you think I’m the only one stating the FACT that Onyx was the group that birthed that East Coast loud, hardcore shyt.

The only person co-signing you is that weird nikka @smokeurobinson and that’s only because he stalks men on message boards.