That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Ze Pequeno

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
fukk u talkin bout?

How 2pac gon call cube out, 2pac is guilty of switching his style up from political/conscious rapper to fake super dupper thuggin. Y'all nikkas kill me

this is cube in 1988

:gucci:

Reading comprehension is key. I specifically stated that cube was not a soft rapper by any means. Gangsta gangsta, fukk the police and straight outta Compton are a far Cry away from Lethal injection and Bow Down

Death6six6

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, Dr Dre,Snoop and Suge Knight and Death Row fukked around and changed the whole landscape.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
say word you thought of leaders supreme style switch on t.i.m.e. as being grimey. if anything it was really derivative of the scientific shyt organized sparked in '91 with their debut. releasing hypnotical gases specifically, which had the gawd kool keith's critical beatdown style's DNA all in it while you bullshyttin...

but yo by like '92 damn near every rap nikka who didn't exactly fit the gangsta trope or aesthetic (like my nerdy ass for example) started putting shyt like nucleic acid & binary fission in their rhymes because of organized, word lmao. their G Rap-inspired wanted dead or alive uptempo eventually gave way to a slower and even more dense flow fit for boom bap with echoing horns & all that. my mans Latief was tight with Busta so he got us into the muse when lyricist lounge used to hold their shyt there in '93. son kicked that veronica, sam, wilma rhyme off spontaneous combustion before the album came out. nikkas went WILD kid

matter of fact that night really was goat because black bandana underground Biggie, Puff, 8-Off, YZ, Cella Dwellas and Mad Skillz were all in the building. and i'm not gon hold you son, low key Skillz was the best rapper that night. bro said i fold nikkas up like lawn chairs when it's raining. Busta got so hyped he grabbed Biggie by his jersey and pushed him into Puff lol, nikka spilled his drink on some redbone chick who looked like she might have been interviewing him. i was like who is this dread nikka from Virginia bodying everybody? he was a problem man and arrogant too lol (in a good way, super confident emcee)

anyway yeah, i got too many stories and type too much. i consider it more scientific than grimy with a stream of consciousness element that to me predated anything Ghost or Wu was doing. low key '93 Busta with the Voltronic/Ultrasonic style might be my favorite version of him. wish he gave me a full album of that style before he went commercial

Not the lyrics but the sound. the beats. they progressed to a harder sound. there's no sound of the zeekers type fun being had on TIME. maybe a bit of a reach on my part.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Whole thread trash if you don’t mention the fact that Onyx is responsible for that shift.

Without West Coast Gangsta Rap blowing up Onyx wouldn’t be slammin with grimy voices and mean mugging the camera. Sticky Fingaz was a barber with blonde dreads before West Coast rap blew up.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps

Without West Coast Gangsta Rap blowing up Onyx wouldn’t be slammin with grimy voices and mean mugging the camera. Sticky Figgaz was a barber with blonde dreads before West Coast rap blew up.

fukk outta here.

I’m probably the biggest West Coast Hip Hop fan from the East but you’re buggin.

Show me the West Coast artists that sounded like Onyx or don’t quote me again.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
fukk outta here.

I’m probably the biggest West Coast Hip Hop fan from the East but you’re buggin.

Show me the West Coast artists that sounded like Onyx or don’t quote me again.

:martin:

I never said Onyx BIT another group or tried to SOUND but all that mean mugging aggressive style of music is a direct influence of Gangsta rap blowing up! You are a straight up idiot to not see that.

:pachaha:

This fool saying Onyx made East Coast rappers all of a sudden go hardcore

If that was the case Tim Dog would have made a song called “fukk ONYX!”

:deadmanny:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
:martin:

I never said Onyx BIT another group or tried to SOUND but all that mean mugging aggressive style of music is a direct influence of Gangsta rap blowing up! You are a straight up idiot to not see that.

:pachaha:

This fool saying Onyx made East Coast rappers all of a sudden go hardcore

If that was the case Tim Dog would have made a song called “fukk ONYX!”

:deadmanny:

You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, shorty.

You’re twisting up all the hip hop knowledge you got from magazines and the internet.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's crazy. Who's responsible for that shift?

Everybody became hardbody studio gangsta in the early 90's due to pressure from cac execs to sell music. They saw them west coast nikkas going multiplatinim. Thang is them west coast nikkas lived that life for real.

Man, Dr Dre,Snoop and Suge Knight and Death Row fukked around and changed the whole landscape.

Without West Coast Gangsta Rap blowing up Onyx wouldn’t be slammin with grimy voices and mean mugging the camera. Sticky Fingaz was a barber with blonde dreads before West Coast rap blew up.

R-436919-1311283622.jpeg.jpg

nikkaz4Life is what really caused the shift. First hardcore rap album to go #1 on Billboard. It changed the game in the music business. The influence of N4L shifted everything. This is when the parental advisory sticker on your album made your album cooler then the ones thst didnt have it. I dont know how this album is so overlooked decades later when it was a big deal back in 1991. When Cube left NWA so did the consciousness of their music...Thats why the lyrics are so over the top. The beats sounded "Evil" and dark. It was the opposite of what PE was doing. PE dropped a dud the same year so thats when this album won by default as the most influential that year. You had Cypress Hill coming out that same year doing a Latino version of this album.All Tim Dog did was the same thing KRS and 50 Cent did and that was aim at the top because NWAs influence was undeniable.The same with Luke when he dissed NWA. This was the album that had Will Smith saying we need to take a break from all the hardcore dance thats gotten outta control....He wasnt talking about Hammer when he said that. 1992 was the bridge between the nikkaz4life influence, thats why you see the game start changing late 1992. The movie CB4 was all about NWAs nikkaz4Life influence. NYC drug dealer rap was the east coasts response to West Coast gangster rap.

Last edited: