That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
fukk u talkin bout?

How 2pac gon call cube out, 2pac is guilty of switching his style up from political/conscious rapper to fake super dupper thuggin. Y'all nikkas kill me

this is cube in 1988

:gucci:

He's right about Cube. Cube is 1 of my GOATs but facts are facts. Pac switched up 2
@ dat time but Cube was way worse.

When he did AMW it was basically a westcoast P.E. album. U mite give him a slight pass 4 dat cuz
he was workin w/ The Bomb Squad (P.E.'s producers) & the subject matter wasnt 2 far off from what he usually spat. Classic album nontheless.

Around '93 came the real switch tho. Grew an afro, his style became more laidback, rapped more about
smokin weed. All of dis cuz it was trending.

We know about the east vs. west issues in '95-'96, w/ 2pac being the front face of it. Here comes Cube & drops "Bow Down" goin @ the east w/ WC & Mack. Great album nontheless.

When P/No Limit hit '97? Now it's Don Mega & the sound & look was identical to No Limit's.

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Friend of mine actually wrote a piece on how tempo changes and the decline in the traditional club scene led to the rise of an era were dancing/clubbing kind of lost its edge to street culture and began to inmpact how people interacted with the music.The tempo and energy shift also made the need for signature dances pretty much DOA since the music was more about attitude then actually made to make people dance,a stark contrast with,for examle the early 80's up to the New Jack Swing era in the late eighthies when the line between R&B and hip hop was still very much in place.Something similar happened in the late 70's when electronic devices like drum computers and sequencing made their way into traditional R&B,the tone and attitude changed along with chord structures which changed the way people danced and interacted with the music.That era were everybody was trying to adjust is a staple in hip hop and how it keeps itself from becoming stagnant.This period(808/AABB/ABAB rhymeschemes,autotune,melodic structures around bounce) is the longest running style of production and style we've seen and shows no signs of letting up.I think it will take a big shift in attitude to get trap'ish style hip hop out of here.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Big Daddy Kane didnt switch up and got slept on in 93 when he put out a dope album and a song with Spinderella that was a banger. That to me was a sign that the game had changed.

93 was the one year when NJ rappers were really shining.

93 was also the year of the jazz fusion in Hip Hop. From Digable Planets "Cool Like That" to Guru's first installment of Jazzmatazz.

Dancehall was also really taking off around this time.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
My nikka, 1993 had MC Lyte out here lookin for a ruff neck :mjlol:

Salt-N-Peppa too

When you watch Unsung it's almost amazing that nearly every 80's artist fell off directly because of the impact of gangsta rap and more specifically The Chronic had all the labels and fans wanting hardcore music.

R&B artists like Jodeci & R. Kelly went from New Jack Swing to a "gangsta" image with g-funk samples.

DRS came out in 1993 with "Gangsta Lean" and were the first to really cuss like gangsta rappers as an R&B group.

They even had a song about them straight up committing rape:merchant:

[Verse 2:]
Don't be afraid, Girl scream and you might get hurt.
Barely eighteen, Flip a coin, let's see who's first.
Girl you now that shyt was dumb, when you called 9-1-1
It'a awful hard to talk, With a mouthful of cum,
Don't have to give me shyt girl, because I'm takin' it
You better move your fukkin' arm girl, or else I'm breakin' it

[Rapping:]
Yo Fellas? (Yeah!) Hold this bytch down!
I'm breakin' me off a piece and then I'm passin' it around!
The ho shoulda known what we wanted her to do!
Why's your daughter in my room at a quarter after 2?

[Chorus:]
Strip! Get 'em off girl! Don't make me chase you!
Strip! Get 'em off girl! You indo hold this bytch down now!
Strip! Get 'em off girl! Don't make me beat that ass bytch!

Strip! Get 'em off girl! Daddy's lil ho.

It's 1994 but it's hilarious that Ready For The World lead singer Melvin Riley went from jheri curls to gangsta

Last edited: