That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Midnight Marauders is a lot harder than Low End Theory.

Tip and Phife rapped more aggressively, the beats was harder, and they touched on more street shyt than on either of their 1st two albums.

Ehhhh, this is kinda a reach... their change was Low End Theory if anything, which was far, far different from the debut. That was where they changed their style of dress and their music was less 'happy'. Midnight was the continuation of that.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Nah b, DC def had a lot of funk vibes/samples.

He wasn’t repping funk like that though. Those where just funky samples in his songs he really paid no mind too like every other rapper did back then with funk samples. After DR he started actually talking about funk and bop gun and stuff.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
IIIII dunno about this one... Busta didn't get into all that shyt until much later. He was THE party rapper all thru the late 90s. It wasn't really til into the early-2000s that he suddenly became the hood guy, lol
Yea you’re right. That’s why I said after biggie became frank white. But it was a little later.

It was just so funny cause dude was putting out number 1s. Was a legend. His shyt was still selling. And he just changed it up and was a coke mixtape rapper for a minute out of nowhere

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
fukk outta here.

I’m probably the biggest West Coast Hip Hop fan from the East but you’re buggin.

Show me the West Coast artists that sounded like Onyx or don’t quote me again.
arent you from Virgina? do virginians consider themselves the east?:jbhmm:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
This thread is all jokes but y’all don’t use your brains and apply this to the new fake pro black shyt that’s in now. Bottom line these nikkas don’t give a fukk about nothing but the check. Y’all care about that other shyt
this is true

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
And a LOT of gangsta shyt in the 80s too. We acting like we went from Run DMC to wu tang. Skipping over the entire era where NWA shined and had all of rap start talking that real shyt
and you also had Geto boys, kool g, Scarface, even Ice cubes "political rap" had gangsta elements in it. Similar to Pac/and Scarface Cube's music even socially concious was mixed with gangsta rap

speaking of which you had this come out in 92

1st few bars

"See I come from the place known as the South Park Zone
Talkin shyt ain't in the clique, and take your punk ass home
Cause I'm the type of nikka down, chump
Hit you in the chest with a motherfukkin tec and watch you jump
So die motherfukkers die motherfukkers die
Look deep into the eyes of a killer smokin' fry
One nikka you can't fukk wit
Cause I'm a born killer with the mind of a lunatic" - Scarface

Last edited:

Death6six6

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What difference does that make in the impact that to this day resonates in the rap game,Cartoon c00n Ass c*nt.:scusthov::martin::mjtf:

:unimpressed:
This was a sensitive reply...what are you Suge's niece or something?

Why you butthurt, you Puffys Gay lover,Somali cock slerper.:scusthov:
:unimpressed:

classicmaterial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
The criticism of Cube at the time was never about him making gangsta rap or becoming hardcore. He was already doing that. It was about him hopping on the G-funk wave. Thing is all of his albums had a different sound to them so it shouldn't have been a surprise. I think it was more cause he went with what everyone else was doing instead of doing something new/different which his previous efforts had all been.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I know this came out a couple of years later...but how the fukk did Chubb Rock go from making all them new jack swing raps in the 80s to making gangsta/street shyt in the 90s?

And no lie, I actually prefer Chubb's gangsta shyt over his stuff with Hitman Howie Tee and I love both of that stuff.

I can excuse the chubbster. He was always nice.

I remember his homeboy dancing hard in the treat em right video with the cheap white suit and pistol in his waist. I remember rewinding that shyt on the vhs be sure cause you damn sure didn’t see that kinda shyt in videos back then

*~queenbee~*

Statistical Jetsetter
Daps
Reppin
life in the underbelly
I'm confused at people adding Cube to the list. I mean he was in N.W.A. in the beginning of his career. The media dubbed them as the Godfathers of the sub genre Gangsta Rap. Seeing his name is ludicrous to me.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
:martin:

I never said Onyx BIT another group or tried to SOUND but all that mean mugging aggressive style of music is a direct influence of Gangsta rap blowing up! You are a straight up idiot to not see that.

:pachaha:

This fool saying Onyx made East Coast rappers all of a sudden go hardcore

If that was the case Tim Dog would have made a song called “fukk ONYX!”

:deadmanny:

nikkas is tripping bigging up fukking ONYX they ain't start shyt

Onyx came in the game with this wack shyt in 89' (beat was ahead of its time tho)

then ghostwrote this joint for an r&b group you can see them in the video

Fredro Starr stole the Cuttroats concept & bought it to Jam Master Jay in 91 and blew the fukk up before the cuttroats had a chance to come out so by the time they did they sounded like they were biting Onyx smh

The cuttroats got done real wrong by the industry

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Ehhhh, this is kinda a reach... their change was Low End Theory if anything, which was far, far different from the debut. That was where they changed their style of dress and their music was less 'happy'. Midnight was the continuation of that.

Yeah, there was a large gap between People's and Low End Theory in terms of their music. They went through a lot of shyt in that one year and it ended up having a major influence on their sound. Midnight Marauders was just a natural progression of what they were doing.

Beats, Rhymes, and Life on the other hand......:unimpressed: