That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Not to mention the "HorrorCore" phase in 95 that had rappers doing some horror movie type of music videos and... nah man ima stop :russ:
not all of that was trash

gravediggaz 6 feet deep is the best album to come out of that phase and its still dope as fukk after all these years

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
Great thread. Props.

Disclaimer: :old:

There was definitely a shift with regards to content/styles. A few notes though:

* Rap was still very (VERY) new and record companies took street kids and cleaned them up (marketed them) in what they thought was a presentable manner. But many of those rappers still lived the same way they did prior to making music. We as consumers were being fed an image.

* Social discourse was really coming to the forefront of the world. In '91 there was the Rodney King beating, in '92 the Riots (which lasted almost an entire week in LA; 63 people were killed and 2,373 injured). Murder rates for urban communities were up, Crack was in full swing, etc. Life was darker, and the music reflected that. That's when/why the music companies began pumping out hardcore everything.

* Young men in that 17-21'ish age group grew up and saw/heard/experienced things that we shouldn't have had to. From @ '91-'94, I had multiple young friends die or had young friends end up in prison (some with big numbers on their backs before they turned 21). Of all my friends that passed, only 1 of them died from what I'd call natural causes (motorcycle accident). But I had friends die from guns, stabbing, fighting, high speed chases that lead to fatal crashes, etc and had a close friend who was killed by Hayward Police, shot 14 times. Life was dark and the genuine music reflected that so of course the companies wanted to monetize that. The fact that many young men during this time period had no expectation to live beyond 25 is telling.

* Looking back as an old head, I cannot believe some of the music I listened to from a content perspective. I hear some of those songs these days and cringe. It's no wonder so many from my generation looked at/spoke about women (and other men too) so poorly, the lyrical content was often devastating for a young man developing thoughts/ideas/drives/beliefs. We were taught through our music that life had no value, women were less than human and any man looking at you was challenging you so it was OK to fight/shoot/kill/etc.

* That said, some of these songs are so terrible...LOL. But cash rules everything so they did what they were told.

But even with all that, I still love this artform and appreciate what it has meant to me throughout my life.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Seeing the OGs trying to transition and stay relevant was a stuggle:flabbynsick::dead:

this song right here was the definition of that

you can tell this song was outdated as hell and the album was pushed back a couple years by its release in 94 considering rob base was on there talmbout "with honeys in there pumpin epmd sounds"

but songs with that between the sheets sample was the thing lol

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
My personal fav of this was Busta Rhymes. Dude was THE party rapper.

All the sudden after biggie transformed into Frank White, busta out here rapping bout moving kis and shooting up blocks and shyt. But it was Busta so it was still dope, but also corny as hell

IIIII dunno about this one... Busta didn't get into all that shyt until much later. He was THE party rapper all thru the late 90s. It wasn't really til into the early-2000s that he suddenly became the hood guy, lol

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The switch up I noticed with Ice Cube is after Death Row blew up he jumped on that Funkadelic vibe. Cube wasn’t into funk in his earlier music like that but after DR he was “down with the bop gun” and using more p funk style production.

Nah b, DC def had a lot of funk vibes/samples.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Horrorcore is SO embarrassing. It was lame in 1995 and in 2019? LOLLLL :skip:

Gravediggaz first joint was good :yeshrug:

But Gangsta Nip was doing it well before it became a thing.

South Park Psycho >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
IIIII dunno about this one... Busta didn't get into all that shyt until much later. He was THE party rapper all thru the late 90s. It wasn't really til into the early-2000s that he suddenly became the hood guy, lol

Yep. I think after Big Bang (or even during Big Bang) he started being ki moving Busta lol. Before that, he was wild amped up party Busta and smooth Busta due to Diddy’s Suggestion.

And yes, South Park Psycho >>

Last edited:

wingzboy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
93' was :francis:

Good music is good music so it def was some standouts/exceptions but

I wasn't feeling that shift at all

It reflected the streets tho....nikkas was dancers with flat tops in 92' wearing zoot suits

year later had baldies and was talking tough :russ:in army fatigues and timbs

hip-hop really lost something when it wasn't cool to dance no more
Hgold

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Chicks also hopped on the wave.......Boss:pachaha:had that cut with AMG My sista izza bytch:snoop: She got marketed so tough she had a skit on her album robbin Onyx..buckin em...the ACTUAL members, I know some of yall remember that shyt:russ:

Conscious Daughters used to go in...

Apache had em singin the hooks in class..shyt was all over the radio...

Some wild ass times back then, but the shyt used to feel:yeshrug:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
That's crazy. Who's responsible for that shift?

Btw tribe called quest is a example of a group that didn't switch their style up but stayed relevant

Midnight Marauders 93 :wow:

Midnight Marauders is a lot harder than Low End Theory.

Tip and Phife rapped more aggressively, the beats was harder, and they touched on more street shyt than on either of their 1st two albums.