That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even cube was guilty of this. He was never a soft rapper by any means, but he went from a political rapper to super gangster. I think 2pac and Monster kody called him out on it.

Naw bruh.... You must not of heard "Straight outta Compton" or "Amerikkka's Most Wanted". You got it backwards... Ice Cube's early music was the Gangsta shyt... his later albums were less gangsta and more political.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Reading through this thread, some of y'all really got it twisted about Cube or never really listened to his albums.

1st. Cube been on that harder gangsta shyt since the beginning. Same nikka who said he wish to kick a bytch in her tummy once he found out she was pregnant. The dude who wrote Boyz N the Hood for some wack New York rappers and they rejected it because it was too hardcore before Dre gave the song to Eazy. You are going to just base his brief political rap stint from 1990-1992 over his ENTIRE career? Two years???

Granted, this is a great thread with a lot of truth of a lot of soft to non-gangsta suddenly turned thugged out when it became commercial. But don't act like the same brother who did "Be True to the Game" and with the video when he was doing fukking home invasions...wasn't ever on that vibe prior to 1993. Not the same dude who in '90 said he's the B-the I- the C- the T- the H- the K- the I- the L- the T- the A.

The truth is that ALL OF THE WEST COAST got caught up in the whole G-Funk era. So, musically the whole SOUND changed. Cube also made amends with Dre. And he was more annoyed at New York for not respecting him or anyone from the west coast so he entrenched himself more in that. And the criticism back then was the fact people asked for the jeri curl Cube back. It wasn't something that just sudden.

Real shyt. I'm readin' this thread like "what were these nikkas hearin'"? Yeah, Cube wasn't goin' to NWA-type extremes on those albums like AMW and Death Certificate, but nikkas makin' it out like he went straight Chuck D. Chuck woulda never called himself the "bytch Killa" or made songs like "Once Upon A Time In The Projects" or "Gangsta's Fairytale" or "Steady Mobbin". Where did they get this idea that he turned into some straight political rapper just because he put that content into his music? Startin' to believe dudes don't really know his music from that era at all.

One thing about this whole trend that went on is kinda the same thing that SOME posts in the thread reflect... even back then, people tried to box artists in, so artists were kinda put in the position where they had to make shyt to fit into a neat little box. And whoever didn't place themselves in certain boxes, they ran the risk of not being popular anymore, not going gold or platinum, etc. Record labels have always been about money first and foremost, so if they look at Dr. Dre's album or Naughty By Nature or Digable Planets or whomever was selling, their mentality was "do the same thing these guys are doing". So then, you either "gangsta rap" or "jazz rap" or "underground rap" or "R&B rap"... that kinda shyt's been goin' on. That's why so much of this shyt seems/appears strange, because most people associate these artists with one thing. Some of the Run-DMC shyt seems outta character and "Oooh Whatcha Wanna Do" was trash, but that's mostly cause most nikkas assume they wore Adidas sweatsuits and rapped over rock records their entire career... Heavy D was able to transition thru different eras cause he was able to adapt, but most people think he made nothing but love songs and wore suits...

This same thing happened in the later-'90s when a lot of the hard nikkas from this era had to adapt to the changes and people were like "ohh they gettin' jiggy now."

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
According to Primo, the reason why Hard to Earn sounded the way it did was because they were offended by being viewed as just a "jazz rap group" and being lumped in with Digable Planets..

Which was weird as fukk to begin with... because yeah, GS used jazz samples, Premier collabed with Marsalis, and Guru did 'Jazzmatazz'... but GangStarr also made shyt like "Just to Get A Rep","DWYCK", "Take It Personal"... why people tried to lump them in with the jazz trend was crazy AF, lol. But that's what they did even back then. You make one record that sounds a certain way, they expect you to make that same record your whole life :pachaha: Same with Digable Planets... I wouldn't even say they went hardcore at all- but they def. made it a point to rebel against the way people expected them to remake the 1st album and give 'em a big hit- which is also what De La Soul did with 'De La Soul Is Dead'.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Yo, watching dudes like will smith, run dmc or mc hammer pretending to be street rappers was one big embarrassing moment in hip hop history :mjlol:

Even rookie shaq had to jump on this trend

I thoroughly enjoyed this :ehh:

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
I’m glad I ain’t have to live thru some of these times, I like too much different kinds of rap to listen to mfs being corny studio gangstas