That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rap music got really dark in 93-95'. It's hard to give credit to the rise of this movement to Death Row when G-Funk was mostly party music inspired by all the low-riding, high-siding, smoking, drinking and fukking Cali gangsters were doing. "Ain't Nothing But A G Thang", "Let Me Ride" and "Ain't No Fun" are the opposite of dark records, they are smoked out bouncy upbeat party records that evoke hedonism in the California sun. The only really dark Death Row hit prior to 1993 was "Deep Cover". But that was two years prior. NWA was ancient history by 1993. Literally every month there were new singles and albums that pushed the boundaries of rap music as a genre in the early 90's.

1993 was also the most violent year on record nationwide in many big cities, so rap music naturally reflected that. Even pop rappers like Will Smith and Heavy D did come from the hood after all and they had homies in the streets by extension.

A lot of these rappers actually started off as hardcore rappers like MC Hammer but dumbed themselves down to double their dollars. 1993 was just a period in time, where it was time for the streets to be reflected on wax because damn near every big city was as bad as Baltimore in 1993. Just like how a few years ago, it became time to address police misconduct because it got bad enough.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Y’all are taking me back man lol! Thought the shyt was weak then but won’t front like I wasn’t messing with some of that stuff. I was a Tribe head back then of course and fukking with Scarface and the southern shyt too.,I didn’t realize how much a lot of those videos and songs sounded and looked so similar lol. Everybody had to try their hand at it..

"Ruffneck" yet in her last single a year before that she was looking for a "Ice Cream Dream" over a NJS beat :russ:

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
It’s not a secret. Bad boy was east coast Deathrow. But also death row was easy coast rap, with smoother samples and flows.

Also the chronic brought pop level mastering and mixing. The grimey shyt was out.

Really? I dont see it. Explain.

The rest i agree with.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Yeap... I think I posted about this before, but the NY vibe had pretty much become strictly slower, darker, harder music by '94... with your occasional party vibe here and there. Puff was from the party era of the late-80s/very early-90s so his whole thing was that he wanted there to be more upbeat shyt happenin' in NY. I saw an interview before where he was like it's time to bring some flavor back, cut out all this nikkas starin' each other down and holdin' up the wall in the club, make some shyt the women wanna dance to, etc... that was his whole thing around then. Thats the thing that, to me, makes that decade such an exciting thing... there was always something new happening- rap never stayed in one spot for too long. It even happened to Bad Boy by the time it got to the end of the decade- most people didn't know shyt about Ruff Ryders or Cash Money when Bad Boy was killin' in '97 but by the time you get to the end of '99, they were killin' and Bad Boy was heading into the background.

This is where Puff mixed the hardcore shyt still dominate at that time with the cool, party vibe he was about to eat off a year or so later..

The birth of Bad Boy

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
The funniest shyt is nikkas like Heavy D was really street nikkas but came in the game on some love song/happy shyt so seeing them shift over to being gangster looked weird even though they were really more about that shyt then nikkas that came in the game like that.

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The funniest shyt is nikkas like Heavy D was really street nikkas but came in the game on some love song/happy shyt so seeing them shift over to being gangster looked weird even though they were really more about that shyt then nikkas that came in the game like that.

That's actually true :russ:

I remember watching Heavy D's cameo in New Jersey Drive and when you heard that nikka cursin and acting tough you was like :picard: "Is...is that the overweight lover in the house?"

Meanwhile Hev was really connected.